Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

I know you’ll be happy to hear that I will no longer be ranting (or whining) about that stupid, ill-conceived, barely usable on an iPhone Block editor that WordPress is trying to convince us is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Instead, I’m going to rant and whine about something else. Namely, the weather.For six days in a row, temperatures where I live were over 100 degrees. That’s nuts. Well, the good news is that today’s forecast calls for the high to reach only 94 degrees. Brrr. Better break out those winter jackets, folks.

But do you want to hear what else is crazy? Early Sunday morning, a freak and unusually severe thunderstorm hit. I say “freak” because thunderstorms at this time of year are rare around here. And also because there was thunder and lightning, but little to no rain. What this freak storm did do was trigger a series of wildfires all around the Bay Area due to lightning strikes.So now, even though temperatures are dipping into the mid nineties, the air quality has become “unhealthy as wildfire smoke pours into the sky.” It’s so bad that the views of the hills from my backyard are almost obliterated.Okay, my daily rant/whine is over. Have a good day.

38 thoughts on “Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

1. Mason Bushell August 20, 2020 / 2:25 pm

Thats terrifying, with the amazon on fire and california and Australia we’ll soon have to few trees and run out of oxygen.

2. rugby843 August 20, 2020 / 2:27 pm

I think freakish weather is happening everywhere.  My sisters in NE say it was so hot they could hardly breathe.  Here it has been u usually warm but also freak storms.  Yesterday it was sunny, thunderstorm, hail the sun, then dark heavy rain.  Sunny til now at 3pm and its getting dark.😳  Those fires are so horrible stay safe.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

3. bearmar August 20, 2020 / 5:14 pm

Stay safe. I think if I lived in that kind of heat I would consider relocating.

• Fandango August 20, 2020 / 10:29 pm

I only just moved here. And where I used to live (San Francisco), it NEVER got this hot.

4. Marilyn Armstrong August 20, 2020 / 8:04 pm

We had two weeks of 100 degree temperatures and today TODAY TODAY TODAY it cooled off. Unfortunately, by tomorrow, it’s going back up. We are tinder dry here, too. We have had no sustained rain. Brief showers that barely wet the tops of the trees. We are in what is considered extreme drought and there are brush fires everywhere. Anyone still arguing about climate change?

• Fandango August 20, 2020 / 10:39 pm

Sounds like we’re going through the same thing on both sides of the country.

5. Marleen August 20, 2020 / 11:18 pm

I don’t know how you could stop “whining”😭

6. Steve Tanham August 21, 2020 / 1:00 am

I feel like a bit of a traitor here, but I rather like the block editor! I move paragraphs around a lot; and pictures, too – and it’s so easy! It’s rubbish on the iPhone, of course, but then I can’t even get ‘likes’ to work on iPhone, let alone reblogs…
    Must be the heat. Keep whining. Great stuff. Steve.

• Fandango August 21, 2020 / 6:23 am

Thanks, Steve. Yes, the Block editor is rubbish on the iPhone. Unfortunately for me, the iPhone is my primary device for blogging. I have a laptop, but rarely use it. Oh well. It sucks to be me.

7. Melanie B Cee August 21, 2020 / 12:06 pm

AHA! Je accuse! I woke up this morning to an ugly gray haze (the likes of which I haven’t seen since my escape from Salt Lake City) overshadowing the whole of Brigham City. I couldn’t SMELL smoke, so I was mystified as to what the hey. It wasn’t stormy. Yesterday afternoon I noticed a weaker version of the ‘inversion’. We usually only get inversions in the winter though, almost never in the summer. I finally found out it was the CALIFORNIA wildfires sharing the bounty of smoke with Utah. Gee, thanks guys! My throat is sore and my eyes itchy because I’m allergic to smoke – whether it is cigarette or wild fire.

I thought perhaps it would lighten your burden a little to know others are sharing the same problem. I just looked out my window and I can’t see the mountains, which is how thick that ‘haze’ is. Goodness. Are they trying to contain the things? Or is it sort of beyond that point now?

• Fandango August 21, 2020 / 2:52 pm

There are hundreds of wildfires and many of them are burning out of control. It’s really bad. Sorry the winds are carrying the smoky air your way.

• Melanie B Cee August 22, 2020 / 7:49 am

Just YOU and your family stay safe. Those things seem to happen more and more often. I remember last year…it was pretty bad then too.

• Fandango August 22, 2020 / 5:33 pm

True, but I think this is the worst it’s been in quite a while and they’re calling for more dry lightning over the next 48 hours. ☹️

8. lindakempwriter August 21, 2020 / 5:17 pm

OMG, Fandango, whine away! I’ve heard about the extreme heat in Calif on the news and been wondering about you. Stay safe, and remember, we’re all here to listen (well, read about) to your whining 🙂

9. Carol anne August 21, 2020 / 11:26 pm

I heard california got hit hard! Colorado has also had wildfires, my friends mom lives in the mountains and there has been severe wildfires up there also. Stay safe Fandango! Xo

10. slmret August 22, 2020 / 5:59 pm

It’s the worst ever — and I’ve lived in the State for my entire life. We are told in SoCal that we might have dry lightning tonight as well — At least the sky is not quite so brown this evening, and the temp is a little cooler than it has been!

• Fandango August 22, 2020 / 11:25 pm

We have a red flag alert for high winds and dry lightning for the next 36 hours.

• Fandango August 23, 2020 / 10:51 pm

I hope not, also. The air quality where I live is already extremely unhealthy.

11. amoralegria August 22, 2020 / 6:07 pm

Actually, in my part of the country (Chicago area) we’ve been lucky to have great weather – we are in a spell of temps in upper 80s into 90s, but in the morning and evening it cools off, so that’s when we get our exercise. It’s been dry here too, though – I’ve noticed the grass is turning yellow already. But I’m sorry about the fires – it seems like it’s happening every year now. Fires in California, Brazil, Australia, heat waves in Europe. And I heard there are two parallel potential hurricanes headed for the southeast coast. Anyway, I sympathize…but climate change is a hoax, huh??!?

12. leigha66 August 23, 2020 / 3:25 pm

I heard the smoke is likely to reach us here in Iowa even. Stay safe Fandango!