Share Your World — Harry Potter and the SYW Prompt

Share Your WorldAs she did in last week’s edition, Melanie is sharing her Share Your World prompt with Roger Shipp. Roger’s contribution to Share Your World this week is centered around another Harry Potter movie. This week’s movie is “Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.”

As I mentioned last week, I only read one Harry Potter book and only saw one Harry Potter movie. Thus, as a “non-Harry Potter fan,” I was going to skip Roger’s Harry Potter-related questions. However, I think his questions are broad enough that I will take a shot at answering them because they don’t require knowing anything about Harry Potter to answer them.

If you were able to have conversations with any one animal, what animal would you like to speak with and what would be the topic of your first conversation?

There are two animals I’d want to speak with. My dog and my cat. My dog is old (14 3/4) and I’d ask her how she’s feeling. I’d want to know if she’s in pain. If she’s happy. If she’s doing okay.

The conversation I’d have with my cat (who is 12) is simply “WTF, cat?” I will never understand why my cat can be acting like my best friend, tenderly rubbing up against me and contentedly purring one minute, and then, an instant later, can be biting me and swiping at me with his razor sharp claws (drawing blood, I might add) as if I’m his worst enemy. “WTF, cat?”

If your graduation picture could speak to people passing it by, what would it tell them?

Are You Talking to Me

If you could transform into another being, who you would you choose to be? What would you hope to learn?

I would transform into my dog and my cat, so I could learn the answers to the questions I asked in my first answer.

What has been the most dangerous (or comical) ‘flooding’ where you reside?

Neither my wife nor I thought it was either particularly dangerous or comical at the time, but I was away on business a number of years back when we were living in New Jersey, and my wife called me up at my hotel room and she was frantic because there had been a big rainstorm and our basement’s sump pump failed. Our basement got flooded with about six inches of water and it doused the pilot light on our water heater. Trying to explain to my wife how, once the water receded enough, to reignite the water heater’s pilot light was, to me, many miles away, rather difficult. She finally did, following my over-the-phone instructions, reignite the pilot light, but she failed to see the humor in the situation. Fortunately, we can both laugh about it now.

And now for Melanie’s non-Harry Potter inspired questions.

How do you think you’ll die? If you do think about it?

Even as a septuagenarian, knowing that most of my life is behind me, I don’t give dying much thought. But I suppose, when it comes time for me to die, I hope it will be at night while I’m in my bed asleep. I will just, one day, fail to wake up.

What’s the best on-line screen name you’ve seen? “Best” might mean the oddest.

I’m actually kind of partial to Fandango.

What’s invisible that you wish people could see?

My answer may offend some, but it’s God. As an atheist, I don’t believe that this “invisible” entity exists. I think that we humans, in our effort to find answers to unanswerable questions, created this God. If people could see that God is not just invisible but non-existent, I think the world would be a better place, since no one would have to die, be persecuted, or go to war because they don’t believe in the same god the same way that someone else does. And if, by some miracle, this invisible God would make itself visible, well that would prove that atheists like me are wrong and I’d jump on God’s bandwagon. All it would take is for the all-powerful Oz God to make itself visible.

If over time you replace parts on a car, at what point does it stop being the same car you bought? How many parts do you need to replace to make it a new car?

I think my car would always be the same car that I bought, no matter how many parts were replaced. Consider this. If people have knee replacements, or hip replacements, or heart valve replacements, or other prosthetic devices implanted on or in their bodies, aren’t they still the same people they always were?

15 thoughts on “Share Your World — Harry Potter and the SYW Prompt

1. Shweta Suresh August 17, 2020 / 12:26 pm

Lol. I loved that part about cats and dogs. I fail to understand cats at times too. I know you’re very partial to “Fandango”

2. Marilyn Armstrong August 17, 2020 / 2:02 pm

I’m still not laughing about our two floods when we first moved here. That was back when we had heavy spring rains combined with snow melt off. We lost our entire record and movie tape collection and about 1000 books and who knows what else. it brought mold into the house and it took a very long time and a LOT of money to get rid of it. It was awful. We have since upped the power of the sump-pump, added French drains, AND new gutters … close to $20,000 over the years. I just can’t find it in me to laugh about it.

• Fandango August 17, 2020 / 2:15 pm

Fortunately we didn’t lose much in the way of valuables and insurance covered most of the damage.

3. Ruth August 17, 2020 / 3:28 pm

It never fails to amaze me that so many people who believe without question in an invisible god are also the same people who deny the existence of the global Covid 19 pandemic because they can’t see it, therefore to them it must be a government hoax… Sigh!

4. Marleen August 17, 2020 / 5:44 pm

The speaking graduation picture is funny.

I’d like to transform into being George
    of the jungle; learn to swing on vines
    …as well as not to smack into trees.

• Marleen August 17, 2020 / 9:36 pm

Hm; I haven’t seen Taxi Driver. Might not be so funny.

• Fandango August 17, 2020 / 10:05 pm

No, Taxi Driver is a dark movie.

5. Sadje August 17, 2020 / 5:54 pm

You need to have a serious talk with your cat! Better get the polyjuice!

6. rogershipp August 19, 2020 / 3:01 pm

I agree about it would be great to talk to our pets. My pup has another ear infection. I would love to know how/why he is getting them.BEFORE they get so bad I notice.

You must be VERY good at direstions- I would never be able to light a pilot light (I’m scared of them?)

Thanks for trying out the Potter questions this week.

7. leigha66 August 20, 2020 / 8:00 pm

Yes, those were pretty broad ranged Potter questions. I did think of something reading your last answer. My therapist was talking to me about the death of her aunt and said when she saw the urn her aunt was in had a question. So, she asked the funeral director what happens to the rods and pin, etc that were in her aunt’s back to correct spine problems? He said they don’t burn in the fire and they are still treated as remains that go to a special place in the cemetery just for “hardware”. It’s a little morbid, but interesting I thought.

• Fandango August 20, 2020 / 10:38 pm

I never thought about that. Maybe because I have no metal rods or pins in my body. Not yet, anyway.