Friday Fictioneers — It’s a Hoax

FC565EB4-3021-4CDC-9BCF-307C17A517FD“Look at this,” Mark said, handing his smartphone to his wife. “This makes me so damn angry.”

Karen looked at the picture on his phone and asked, “It’s just a bunch of people walking down the street in what looks like a touristy area.”

“That’s exactly what it is,” Mark said. “This was taken yesterday. Can you believe that?”

“I’m sorry, Mark, but I don’t understand.”

“Where’s the social distancing?” Mark said. “Where are the face masks? How do people expect us to get past this pandemic if they disregard what the doctors are saying?”

“Well, according to the president….”

Written for today’s Friday Fictioneers prompt from Rochelle Wisoff-Fields. Photo credit: Rochelle Wisoff-Fields.

25 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers — It’s a Hoax

1. Mason Bushell August 14, 2020 / 10:06 am

I have a few strong opinions about this subject matter. I’ll just say nice piece well done instead lol.

2. Iain Kelly August 14, 2020 / 11:55 am

Not just the president unfortunately, but an awful lot who seem to take his advice. Incidently, did you see his latest one? The Spanish Flu of 1917 helped end the Second World War! He actually said that. Just incredible.

• Fandango August 14, 2020 / 1:18 pm

Yes, I saw that. I can’t believe that 40+% of Americans and more that 3/4 of Republicans still support him. I can’t wrap my head around that.

• Marleen August 14, 2020 / 5:24 pm

The “Spanish flu” (which is suspected to have come from Kansas but was well documented by journalists in Spain) was spread, in part, by WW ONE — as I’m sure you know even if the freakin’ President of the United States doesn’t (doesn’t know or doesn’t care). Donald Trump doesn’t understand (or respect) our post-WWII world [the major inflection point]. He does seem to “get” pre-WWI and pre-WWII tendencies (like despotism and eugenics).

3. msjadeli August 14, 2020 / 12:16 pm

It’s still unfathomable how covid is being denied/ignored by so many.

4. granonine August 15, 2020 / 7:24 am

My problem with “following the science” is that so many scientist disagree. Who are you supposed to believe?

• Fandango August 15, 2020 / 10:59 am

The vast majority of scientists do agree. It’s only a small fringe that do not.

• granonine August 15, 2020 / 11:34 am

And the vast majority also believed the world was flat, and that it was the center of the universe. Even if it is just a small fringe, I have to pay attention. The majority has often been proven wrong.

And BTW, I do all the stuff we’re supposed to do, because most of it is just plain common sense.

• Fandango August 15, 2020 / 12:57 pm

I think your references to what “scientists” believed in in the Middle Ages is a bit dated. 😉

• granonine August 15, 2020 / 6:14 pm

Well, of course! But they were convinced of their truth, and people lost their lives if they dared to refute what the scientists (and the Church) accepted as fact. I’m not sure we’ve changed much.

5. lyncrain August 15, 2020 / 6:38 pm

I don’t go anywhere without a mask. I stay as far away as possible from people. It makes me so angry to see people not wearing masks, because all the costs down the road for their care eventually impacts our health insurance rates, food prices., etc. No corporation is going to miss an opportunity to increase their profit margin, they’re capitalizing on this virus.

6. lyncrain August 16, 2020 / 4:57 am

I’m of the mindset, no mask…no social distancing …no healthcare, all coverage denied. Consequences for your actions. And if you’re already one of the ones that don’t have health care and are expecting the system to cover…no medical treatment. I know it sounds cruel but the risk taker mentality has to be reined in starting with the idiot at the top.

7. leigha66 August 17, 2020 / 7:04 pm

I cringe whenever I see someone without a mask, or more often, wearing it just over their mouths and not their nose.