Share a Your World — I’m a Regular Guy

Share Your WorldMelanie is doing something different this week and, apparently, for the next few weeks. She is sharing her Share Your World prompt with another blogger, Roger Shipp. Melanie explained that Roger will be posting movie-related questions. This week’s movie questions are from the Harry Potter film, “The Sorcerer’s Stone.”

I may be the only person on the planet Earth who never got into the whole Harry Potter thing. I did, as an accommodation to my kids, read the first Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone. That’s the one where we first find young Harry living  underneath the stairs. Much to the dismay of my kids, my reaction to the book was “meh.” As a further accommodation to my kids, because I’m such a good dad, I agreed to go see the first Harry Potter movie with them when it came out. My reaction to the movie was also “meh.”

I have since not read another Harry Potter book or seen another Harry Potter movie. So, since I really don’t know much about the books or movies or their characters or plots, other than they involve some sort of wizardry, I’m going to pass on Roger’s questions and go right to what Melanie calls her regular or traditional questions.

Would you rather live 120 years that are comfortable but boring, or live half as long, but have an exciting, adventure-packed life?

If I chose “the live half as long” as 120 years, I’d be dead by now, so the question is moot, right? That said, I don’t think life throws this kind of “either or” scenario at us. I think we can live a comfortable, albeit at times, boring life and truly enjoy it, while occasionally having some exciting, adventure-packed experiences. Right now, however, I’m quite content with the comfortable but boring life style.

What’s something that overwhelms you?

I’m not sure I would use the word “overwhelms,” in the sense that it overpowers or devastates me, or makes me unable to function, but do I seem to be a little too obsessed, perhaps, with Donald Trump and what he’s done and continues to do to destroy our democratic republic. And yes, at times, I do feel that it can be overwhelming.

What do or did you take for granted?

My answer is related to the one above. I did take for granted the rule of law in the United States, the importance of political “norms,” and perhaps naively, the indestructibility of our American democracy from within. Trump and his Republican enablers have demonstrated over the past four years just how fragile it is. If it’s not too late to save it, I will never take it for granted again.

15 thoughts on “Share a Your World — I’m a Regular Guy

1. Introverted Thoughts August 10, 2020 / 12:02 pm

I agree the films are terrible but the books are phenomenal! The first book is ‘meh’ compared to the last but the growth and character development over the course of 6 books is authentic and perfectly carried out! Amazing post!

2. Melanie B Cee August 10, 2020 / 12:11 pm

Thanks Fandango for Sharing Your World! I suspected that many that follow Share Your World had never read nor seen the book or movies, and that’s why I gave the choice. Roger is a great guy, and I think his idea had some merit, which is why it’s included for a while. But it’s also totally fine to do the ‘regular’ questions. Obviously they were kinda deep this week, even though I didn’t deliberately choose ‘hard’ ones. I’m in total agreement with your answers btw…save the drop dead because I’m too old. I’d be too old right now to meet the 60 side of the equation, but living to 120? Makes me shudder. I’ll take life as it comes I guess. What choice do I have? And perhaps I’m taking THAT for granted. … Have a great week Fandango!

3. Marilyn Armstrong August 10, 2020 / 12:55 pm

I read all the Harry Potter books, but I don’t really remember much about them. I think for the kids, books about magic were something new and special. But I’ve been reading stuff in that genre since I was a kid, so it was just another series of books. Pretty good and probably a great intro to reading for kids who hadn’t found some other valid reason to read books. Books are good for the soul, even if they aren’t great. Just get those kids to READ!

As for the rest of it? I agree. We don’t get to live “all exciting” or “all boring.” Life is what it is. What comes along, you deal with. Now, though, I’m very happy to just be alive. Even when I’ve been nearly dead, I didn’t want to be really dead. I figure I’ve gone through more than enough excitement. I’d like some comfortable peace and a little tranquility. Please.

• Fandango August 10, 2020 / 1:21 pm

It’s funny because I like fantasy and science fiction, but the Potter books just didn’t resonate with me. Maybe because they were more “young adult” oriented. But, yes, they did serve as a good way to get younger people into reading.

4. Sadje August 10, 2020 / 6:44 pm

Not a Harry Potter fan! What a surprise ( not). I am one and so are all my grown up kids. But my husband could never wrap his head around it. You’re certainly over obsessed by DT, and it’s not good for you! 😂

5. joseph elon lillie August 11, 2020 / 7:18 am

Your last two answers are very poignant. I think we all took for granted the strength of our republic. That pride may very well be our downfall.

6. leigha66 August 13, 2020 / 6:23 pm

Good answers… I too will say the books were better than the movies and the whole series should be given a chance. I read them with my daughter and maybe it was some of her excitement of the story that made it good in my eyes. We all took our government for granted.