Truthful Tuesday — Movie Time

E14D5C78-0C96-49DB-BDA9-38CCE034EEABIt’s time for another installment of PCGuy’s Truthful Tuesday. This week he’s looking for our honest and truthful answer to the question:

What three movies best sum up your taste in movies, and why?

Okay, this is a hard one because I have a very eclectic taste in movies. I enjoy powerful dramas, psychological thrillers, science fiction, comedy, fantasy, and…well, that’s enough.

So, I’m going to go with my favorite movies in three of those genres. Let’s start with comedy. My all time favorite comedy is the Mel Brooks 1974 film, “Young Frankenstein.”Young-FrankensteinAs far as I’m concerned, it is the funniest movie ever. It is terribly clever and it always makes me laugh out loud whenever I see it, which is often.

There are so many great science fiction movies out there, but I’m going with the first one I ever saw and, while this 60+ year old film is dated from the perspective of what Sci-Fi filmmakers can do today with CGI and other special effects, the 1956 classic, “Forbidden Planet,” was a technological breakthrough for its time and remains high on my list of favorites.Forbidden PlanetThis next film is one I consider to be in two genres: powerful dramas and psychological thrillers. There are so many movies in these two genres to choose from, but I’m going to select one that I consider to be the classic neo-noir psychological thriller and that I thought was ingeniously crafted. “Memento” was presented in reverse chronological order based upon the story of a man with short-term memory loss who attempts to track down his wife’s murderer. I had to watch it two or three times to see how brilliantly it was put together.Memento posterAnyone else care to join in the fun? What three movies best reflect your taste in movies?

10 thoughts on “Truthful Tuesday — Movie Time

1. Marleen August 4, 2020 / 7:30 pm

Aha! Those numbers are not truthful.

• Fandango August 4, 2020 / 10:46 pm

Not truthful? Absolutely truthful, subjectively truthful, anyway.

2. Marleen August 4, 2020 / 11:22 pm

Sorry; I was being a little obtuse 🙃. The numbers (points) on the tiles that are in the picture at the top are “wrong” (for Scrabble). Just noticed. I’m sure, you, on the other hand, as the real subject, were (and are) being truthful.

As for your movies, I like Young Frankenstein. I have not seen Forbidden Planet, and I never got interested in early science fiction; I probably won’t see it — but wouldn’t be against it. I keep meaning to see memento. And it looks like one of the main characters is a star from a favorite movie of mine: Carrie-Anne Moss. It would be difficult to choose three movies that sum things up, but I’d have to include The Matrix.

In

• Fandango August 4, 2020 / 11:29 pm

Ah, you’re right. I didn’t notice the numbers. But I didn’t choose the picture. That’s PCGuy’s image from his prompt. I wonder if he knows the numbers are wrong.

• Marleen August 4, 2020 / 11:42 pm

Kinda ironic, right? I like it.

3. Marleen August 5, 2020 / 6:43 pm

Your sharing of the Jackson Browne song, today, has nudged me to name another movie: The Sea of Trees

• Marleen August 6, 2020 / 8:47 pm

I just looked it up and realized I’d forgotten a lot of things about it. One commenter at Rotten Tomatoes said, “It’s best to just enjoy the scenery and look the other way.” I think that might be putting it too negatively, although it might be true too. I mostly remember the scenery and that there were regrets and love. I also remember the sound of trees, but that might’ve been enhanced by or largely due to the rain in the real world around my yard that day.

Someone at another site said, “Near perfect pacing, writing & acting lead to a great movie. One you have to be in the mood for & be emotionally ready to handle.”

True that.

And it doesn’t get rated well.

Also, if someone went to the theatre and sat through that… I’d bet they would be disappointed, especially on a date. And something like half of people in general. I sat down on a rainy afternoon at home and was interested in something I had no clue about.

Having looked back at some details, I would say I should not recommend it to anyone. (I have never been suicidal, but some people can get that sad. That seems like a spoiler. But one of the internet descriptions is right out there with it. I don’t think there was anything extreme.*) But it is in the range of my movie tastes. So… why?

Sheesh. So far, I seem to like movies that get very mixed reviews. I didn’t see The Matrix in theatre either. I think it got trashed by critics. I don’t know what moviegoers said, but lots of people like it now. Many of them, though, are horrid people. But many of them are philosophical and good people.

* I watched a movie, last night, which had a scene in it that I don’t think should be in the world at all. A major star (a leading man who was the reason I took the time to see it) killed himself on camera near the end. Just bad. It started out with quite a bit of humor. (But lots of cussing — “fuck” especially.) There were some horrific scenes in the middle, as well. This was a British film with a teen character and a fairly new middle-age celebrity in it. (The leading man I wanted to see is not the newer celebrity.) Warning.

4. leigha66 August 5, 2020 / 7:53 pm

I would have to have a musical on my list… I’d say Rent is my favorite one. The Color Purple shows unending hope in horrible circumstances. And one of my favorite dramas is One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest (I just heard Netflix is doing a prequel to it about the nurse’s life) As a bonus my favorite movie I own but can’t watch… Schindler’s List. I have seen it once and once only… It just is heartbreaking what happened to so many.