Who Won The Week? 08/02/2020

10CC3057-4EEA-4C80-B8C1-700C0FC6C906It’s time for another Who Won the Week prompt. The idea behind Who Won the Week is for you to select who (or what) you think “won” this past week. Your selection can be anyone or anything — politicians, celebrities, athletes, authors, bloggers, your friends or family members, books, movies, TV shows, businesses, organizations, whatever.

I will be posting this prompt on Sunday mornings (my time). If you want to participate, write your own post designating who you think won the week and why you think they deserve your nod. Then link back to this post and tag you post with FWWTW.

This week I am designating seriously flawed TV detectives as my winners of the week. You see, I am making a big effort to escape the awful reality of the daily news each day by cutting back on watching cable news channels, reading the newspapers, and constantly checking my iPhone’s newsfeed. It’s all part of my effort to stay blissfully uninformed. It’s too angering, frustrating, and depressing for me to keep abreast of the insanity that is swirling around us.

Instead, I’ve taken to binge watching streaming detective shows on Netflix and Amazon prime. And what I’ve found are a number of shows highlighting the exploits of some seriously flawed, yet remarkably compelling TV detectives.4D472274-BEA3-4CD9-8FBC-4EA852262980I started with “Bosch” on Amazon Prime. Harry Bosch is a gruff, irreverent LAPD homicide detective who has problems with authority, follows his gut, and bends a few rules while achieving the best solved case rate in all of California.1ACE437B-69CC-4798-B9DD-FBB128CFE5D7Next was “Marcella” on Netflix. Set in London, British Metropolitan Police Officer Marcella Backland, a detective in her late 30s, gave up her fast-tracked role to marry and devote her life to starting a family. With the abrupt end to her marriage, and isolated from her daughter at boarding school, Marcella returns to work while attempting to make sense of what’s happened in her life.

Then there are two Finnish detective series, “Borderland” and “Deadwind,” which grabbed me.

Unless you speak Finnish, you’ll have to deal with subtitles, but it’s well worth it.

“Bordertown” is about a quirky detective from the capital city of Finland who moves to a small town nearby the Russian border in order to work less and spend more time with his family. He soon realizes that the bordertown isn’t the peaceful town he thought it was and he delves into his mind palace to solve despicable crimes.

Deadwind, which I just started watching yesterday, is another tale of a female detective in her 30s who is trying to get over her husband’s death. She ends up triggering a chain of events that threatens to destroy her life again. Deadwind is a highly thrilling series from Finland mixing crime investigation and personal drama.

So if you want an escape from reality, and enjoy watching quirky tales of flawed detectives, I think you might want to give these a look-see.

Now it’s your turn, folks. Who (or what) do you think won the week?

35 thoughts on “Who Won The Week? 08/02/2020

1. rugby843 August 2, 2020 / 12:32 pm

I liked Bosch but soon coming up on PBS is Endeavour and if you like mysteries you might check out what is available there.  Fully enjoyable also is Grantchester.  Unforgotten, is good along with Lewis, Inspector Morse, and of course Sherlock.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

• Fandango August 2, 2020 / 11:01 pm

I’ll have to check out the shows you recommended. Thanks.

• rugby843 August 3, 2020 / 6:35 am

I like PBS because the commercial is only in front and then none. I’m spoiled with no ads and watching regular tv has too many of them. In my apt complex you are required to spend 75$ a month included in rent just to turn on tv.🙄

• Fandango August 3, 2020 / 8:58 am

Most of the shows I watch on Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu are commercial free, although each has a monthly streaming service fee.

• rugby843 August 3, 2020 / 9:29 am

Netflix is probably my fave of them because it is one fee while prime now has extra charges for movies and older shows have commercials. Even downloaded shows from years back now I can’t watch without paying extra or ads.

• Fandango August 3, 2020 / 9:40 am

I abhor commercials and since most of the shows I do watch are recorded on the DVR, I fast forward through all of them.

2. Mister Bump UK August 2, 2020 / 12:35 pm

Funnily enough, someone talked me into watching one called “The Rookie” (set in LA) a few weeks ago. I got to about 3 episodes before I decided it was not for me (I found it quite samey), but this guy raved about it.

• rugby843 August 2, 2020 / 1:03 pm

To each his own I guess. Most of the people I hear about likes is from grandkids but we agree on most things. They are after me to watch Supernatural but haven’t yet. Just watched the new season of the Umbrella Academy.

• Mister Bump UK August 2, 2020 / 11:17 pm

I’m sure I heard of Supernatural here, so you’ll have to let us know if it is any good. I have never heard of Umbrella Academy so I must keep a lookout. I’m usually quite boring with tv – I would sooner watch something that I know is good, from 20 years ago, than something I don’t know. I get fed up with crime/cop shows where I can guess the perp early on.

• Fandango August 2, 2020 / 11:03 pm

My wife likes “The Rookie,” but that’s primarily because she likes the guy who plays the rookie, Nathan Fillion.

3. Christine Bolton August 2, 2020 / 4:27 pm

Really loved Marcella, all three series. Just saw a show on BritBox called Bancroft. It was outstanding!

• Fandango August 2, 2020 / 11:31 pm

I don’t think I get BritBox. 🙁

• Fandango August 3, 2020 / 8:55 am

But it’s not included in the Amazon Prime service unless you pay extra?

• Fandango August 3, 2020 / 12:14 pm

I watch a lot of BBC America. My wife and I watched two seasons of “Doctor Foster” on Netflix recently. A British drama about a woman doctor who discovers that her husband was cheating on her and how her life unravels. It’s two seasons of five episodes each and it’s pretty intense.

• Christine Bolton August 3, 2020 / 6:39 pm

I watched Dr. Foster too. It was great. I hope there’s a season three ☺️👍 I also subscribe to Acorn TV via Amazon. More British TV 🤣 Thank goodness for Amazon and Netflix, the only thing I can watch on Network TV is the news.

4. lindakempwriter August 2, 2020 / 5:07 pm

I’ve seen all those except for Bosch. Loved the Finnish ones, Marcella was good, but the character began to annoy me by season 3 🙂 Nothing better than escapist telly, though, right?

5. trishsplace August 2, 2020 / 6:10 pm

Very interesting! I’ve been a fan of Michael Connelly’s Bosch novels forever. I knew about this series, but hadn’t bothered to watch (until this last week). You don’t want someone to butcher your mental image of the hero. I’m enjoying the series though. It took me a few episodes, but I’m happy with Titus Welliver in the role.

• Fandango August 2, 2020 / 11:38 pm

He’s got the right amount of grit for the character, although there are a few occasions where I think he over-acts a little.

6. annieasksyou August 2, 2020 / 8:58 pm

I think John Lewis won the week. His recorded voice beaming through the Capitol Rotunda, his body being borne across the Edmund Pettus Bridge, the beautiful upbeat tributes at his funeral in Martin Luther King’s church, President Obama’s eulogy, and Lewis’s own words in an OpEd in The New York Times warning us we have to fight for our democracy—to keep on—and To VOTE!

• Marleen August 2, 2020 / 10:32 pm

So true. He’s the winner.

• Fandango August 2, 2020 / 11:44 pm

You’re right. I only hope that his words and deeds will be heeded.

7. Olga Brajnović August 3, 2020 / 7:10 am

I love The Bosh series. I have read the books and I like how Titus Weliwer portrays the character. I have been following it through Amazon he is my winner.

• Fandango August 3, 2020 / 9:03 am

I enjoyed it, as well, and I hope, after this pandemic leaves us, another season will follow.

8. leigha66 August 3, 2020 / 6:12 pm

It sounds like I might need to watch a little more of Netflix.

• Jenna Kirkpatrick August 6, 2020 / 2:10 am

I don’t know if this will work. This is a trailer on YouTube, but it doesn’t do it justice.
        One of these gals is off her rocker, she is clever but her personal life is nuts. The other is totally switched on and real sweet but ends up in her own kind of trouble.
        Their boss is hilarious.

• Fandango August 6, 2020 / 10:19 pm

I haven’t seen it, but I see it’s available on Amazon Prime, so I’ll add it to my watch list. Thanks for the tip!