Song Lyric Sunday — Handyman

For this week’s Song Lyric Sunday theme, Jim Adams is giving us “Acquire,” “Collect,” “Gather,” and “Secure.” So come on folks and gather around while I tell you the story of the “Handyman.”

Jimmy Jones and Otis Blackwell wrote “Handy Man” in 1955, and the group Sparks of Rhythm, which did not include Jones, recorded it in 1956. Then in 1959, Jones and Blackwell re-worked and recorded the song. Their version went to number 2 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 in 1960 and earned a gold record. There have been numerous covers since, including those by Del Shannon in 1964 and James Taylor in 1977.

“Handyman” is a catchy, lightweight, and by today’s standards, a someone sexist song with a very simple message. The gist of the song is that the singer is a handyman, only not in the sense of a home repairman, but as someone who has the knack to “fix broken hearts.” He invites women who’ve had their hearts broken to come see him and he’ll fix them right up.

Here are the lyrics to “Handyman.”

Comma, comma, comma, comma, come, come, comma
Yeah, yeah, yeah

Hey girls, gather round
Listen to what I’m putting down
Hey babe, I’m your handy man

I’m not the kind to use a pencil or rule
I’m handy with love and I’m no fool
I fix broken hearts, I know that I truly can

If your broken heart should need repair
Then I’m the man to see
I whisper sweet things, you tell all your friends
They’ll come runnin’ to me

Here is the main thing I want to say
I’m busy 24 hours a day
I fix broken hearts, I know that I truly can

Come, come, come
Yeah, yeah, yeah
Come, come, come
Yeah, yeah, yeah
They’ll come runnin’ to me

That’s me
I’m your handy man

17 thoughts on “Song Lyric Sunday — Handyman

1. Christine Bolton August 2, 2020 / 7:29 am

I didn’t know the history of this song having only heard James Taylor singing it. Who knew?

• Fandango August 2, 2020 / 10:14 pm

I knew. 😉 I guess that’s what happens when you’re as old as I am!

2. newepicauthor August 2, 2020 / 8:19 am

Jimmy Jones could hit them high notes. I can barely remember this classic tune, nice choice Fandango.

3. Lisa Coleman August 2, 2020 / 9:49 am

Sooooo GOOD! Perfect for the prompt today! Hey girls, gather round! He’s gonna fix everything! 🙂

4. Maggie August 2, 2020 / 10:09 am

Wow! I love this song. It was almost always played at our “sock hops” we had at school. This will be in my internal jukebox all day! Thanks, Fandango!

5. Marleen August 2, 2020 / 11:19 pm

I hadn’t heard, or seen, this version. It has real pizzazz.

6. leigha66 August 3, 2020 / 1:35 pm

I didn’t know this song was linked to anyone other than James Taylor. Good song.