#writephoto — Safety Be Damned

AAC4CE1B-4250-412B-8AA0-64F477A0D112“This is remarkable,” Donna said. “What a transformation.”

Steve beamed. “Yeah, we gutted the place,” he said. “Took it down to the studs, reconfigured the layout a little for a better flow, and created an open concept for the kitchen, dining area, and family room.”

“Wow, just wow,” Donna said. “You did an amazing job, that’s all I can say.”

“Thanks,” Steve said. “We also added a powder room on this level and created a master suite upstairs by combining two of the four bedrooms. It has an en-suite bathroom and a huge walk-in closet.”

“So when are you putting it on the market?” Donna asked.

“I still need to stage it, but probably next week if all goes well,” Steve said. “I spent just north of a hundred grand on the renovation, and I think I can clear twice that on the flip.”

“That’s fantastic, Steve,” Donna said. “But I am wondering about the exterior. I see you didn’t clean out the weeds growing out front or do anything about the badly worn steps.”

“I will get rid of the weeds and prune the plants, but I can’t touch the steps,” Steve said.

“Why not?” Donna asked. “Aren’t they a tripping hazard?”

“I thought so, too,” Steve said, “but this community has a restrictive covenant. You can do whatever you want to the interior of the homes, but you can’t make any changes to the exterior. They insist on maintaining the ‘original character’ of the neighborhood.”

“Safety be damned, I guess,” Donna sighed.

Written for Sue Vincent’s Thursday Photo Prompt.

13 thoughts on “#writephoto — Safety Be Damned

1. pensitivity101 July 30, 2020 / 10:56 am

Yeah, we’ve come across those restrictions too, though we walked away from the properties concerned.

2. Sue Vincent July 30, 2020 / 11:35 am

Probably quite true in this area… though someone has replaced two of the steps at least.

3. JT Twissel July 30, 2020 / 4:23 pm

What is this neighborhood? Dali- World? Land of surrealistic staircases?

• Fandango July 30, 2020 / 10:28 pm

I think it’s the land of inferior cement steps.

4. Keith's Ramblings August 1, 2020 / 6:12 am

My friends have a 450 year old pub that’s a listed building. Health and Safely tell them to do something and National Heritage say they can’t!

My story!

5. leigha66 August 1, 2020 / 2:06 pm

I think those steps would be awful in winter snow and ice! Hope they are in a warm weather climate. Great story!

6. willowdot21 August 4, 2020 / 2:44 am

Yes and rightly so those steps hold many secrets 🌹💜