Cellfish

89D36784-9302-4625-899F-60770A51DD02I learned a new word today. It’s a perfect word for the 21st century. The word is “cellfish” and it’s a mashup of “cellphone” and “selfish. Cellfish is used to describe a person who immediately answers all cellphone calls or text messages, then chats or texts on and on, ignoring and/or disregarding the wishes of the people they’re with.

Do you know anyone who is cellfish?

27 thoughts on “Cellfish

1. Willowsoul July 27, 2020 / 3:32 pm

I had been summoned by a patient who wanted to complain. I got there and he started talking then his phone rang so he answered it !!!!!! So I left…. he then got annoyed by my leaving and stated I should have waited the 30 minutes in his room while he took the call….. I may have had a sense of humour failure after this and gave him two choices “behave” or “leave” …. moron and he was 70 ….. I would expect this from an under 40 year old …. love the word

2. Taswegian1957 July 27, 2020 / 3:40 pm

It’s an excellent word although unlikely to take off in Australia as we don’t say “cell phone” We certainly have plenty of those people though.

3. CARAMEL July 27, 2020 / 4:00 pm

Everyone complains to me that I never answer my mobile phone when they call, I don’t have a voice message service I sometimes don’t reply to texts for days.
    I have told all my friends I have a very basic mobile that I carry in my bag for emergencies. At work it is locked away in my locker all day. I leave it in my handbag so I don’t forget it. So I sometimes don’t look at it for days. I use my landline to call close friends and family and use emails to keep in touch with everyone.

Can I claim to be uncellfish???

4. Forestwood July 27, 2020 / 4:40 pm

If you want to have a phone attached to you 24/7 because you feel disconnected you could be cellfish. But it is possible to have it with you, and still be respectful of others, when you are interacting.

• Fandango July 27, 2020 / 10:02 pm

Exactly. You don’t have to answer the phone or respond to text instantly.

• Forestwood July 27, 2020 / 10:43 pm

There are times when we can’t answer promptly, so it should be perfectly acceptable to respond later rather than sooner.

5. msjadeli July 27, 2020 / 5:05 pm

It’s extremely disrespectful to who you’re with and/or an addiction that needs to have intervention.

• Fandango July 27, 2020 / 10:11 pm

Very true. I keep having to remind my adult children to put down their cellphones and to be present in the moment. Oh wait. It’s to me that my kids keep saying that.

• Fandango July 27, 2020 / 10:13 pm

Yes it is. Whatever happened to being present in the moment?

6. annieasksyou July 27, 2020 / 8:22 pm

That’s a very fine word.

Speaking of made-up words, I am taking the liberty of providing a link to my latest post, which was left off Reader, where I know you go for posts. It appeared 20 hrs later after my bereft email to WP.

This one involves wordplay and is short—both items you like—so instead of waiting til July 27, 2021, here ‘tis:

7. leigha66 July 29, 2020 / 12:48 pm

In some way my daughter is, but to her defense she is a manager of a coffee shop so is constantly getting work calls when she isn’t there, so she kind of has to answer the calls and texts. Good word though!