Song Lyric Sunday — Everyday People

For this week’s Song Lyric Sunday, Jim Adams has asked us to use “ Different/Same” as our theme. This was a no-brainer for me. There’s one song that teaches us that no matter how different we appear to be, “we are the same whatever we do.”

“Everyday People” was a 1968 song composed by Sly Stone and recorded by his band, Sly and the Family Stone. It was the first single by the band to hit number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, and it’s remembered as one of the most popular songs of the 1960s.

Stone wrote this about how everyone is essentially the same, regardless of race or background. The song mocks the futility of people hating each other for being tall, short, rich, poor, fat, skinny, white, black, or anything else. It’s a lesson that, in 2020, we still haven’t learned. Stone’s band, itself, was a mash-up of musical styles, with band members of different genders and ethnic backgrounds.

According to Songfacts, “Everyday People” takes some inspiration from Mother Goose, adding a twist to the traditional nursery rhyme “rub-a-dub-dub.” The familiar three men in a tub — the butcher, the baker, the candlestick-maker — become the butcher, the banker, the drummer, and, in the spirit of the song’s message of solidarity among all people, Sly adds: “makes no difference what group I’m in.”

The song repeats the line “different strokes for different folks,” which became a popular catchphrase in 1969, and allegedly inspired the name of the television sitcom, Diff’rent Strokes. There’s also the recurring line, “And so on, and so on, and scooby dooby doo.” Some believe that the children’s animated TV series Scooby-Doo (often featuring the phrase “scooby dooby doo”), which also launched in 1969, may have been inspired by that line.

Here are the lyrics for “Everyday People.”

Sometimes I’m right and I can be wrong
My own beliefs are in my song
The butcher, the banker, the drummer and then
Makes no difference what group I’m in

I am everyday people, yeah yeah

There is a blue one who can’t accept the green one
For living with a fat one trying to be a skinny one
And different strokes for different folks
And so on and so on and scooby dooby doo

Oh sha sha we got to live together

I am no better and neither are you
We are the same whatever we do
You love me you hate me you know me and then
You can’t figure out the bag I’m in

I am everyday people, yeah yeah

There is a long hair that doesn’t like the short hair
For bein’ such a rich one that will not help the poor one
And different strokes for different folks
And so on and so on and scooby dooby doo

Oh sha sha we got to live together

There is a yellow one that won’t accept the black one
That won’t accept the red one that won’t accept the white one
And different strokes for different folks
And so on and so on and scooby dooby doo

I am everyday people

22 thoughts on “Song Lyric Sunday — Everyday People

• Fandango July 26, 2020 / 10:20 am

Thanks, Christine. I actually never heard the song you selected, even though I like the Allman Brothers. Good choice.

1. Mister Bump UK July 26, 2020 / 4:34 am

Took me a while to recognise it, I don’t think I heard the full song before. Great choice.

• Mister Bump UK July 26, 2020 / 10:49 am

I’d heard of the band but not (knowingly) of any of their songs. Eventually I just about recognised the chorus here. I probably heard it ina movie at some point.

2. J-Dub July 26, 2020 / 6:20 am

I remember this song well. We even did a dance routine to it. Thanks for the memories. Great choice today.

• Fandango July 26, 2020 / 10:24 am

It really is a great song. I’m glad you enjoyed hearing it again.

3. Felicia Denise July 26, 2020 / 7:46 am

And just like that, I’m nine-years-old again! 😀 Still a big favorite! Great share!

4. newepicauthor July 26, 2020 / 8:27 am

This is such an awesome song and I had forgotten about “and scooby dooby doo”. The only way we can be together is to get rid of Trump.

• Fandango July 26, 2020 / 10:31 am

I hope we can get rid of Trump in a peaceful way, but I’m very worried that that won’t be the case.

• Marleen July 26, 2020 / 3:50 pm

I think, generally, it will be peaceful (for most of us). You swear in the newly-elected President. Then, if the has-been doesn’t go away, the Secret Service says It’s time, buddy. And he is taken away. (I’m being hopeful.)

• Fandango July 26, 2020 / 5:39 pm

I’m more worried about his avid, heavily armed supporters than I am about the Secret Service.

• Marleen July 26, 2020 / 9:21 pm

We do have yet to see.

Scooby-dooby-doo.

• Fandango July 26, 2020 / 10:19 pm

And, sadly, still relevant more than 50 years after it was first written.

5. leigha66 July 27, 2020 / 3:28 pm

An anthem to the past that should not still be relevant. Good post!