Because COVID-19

A friend of ours is planning an outdoor birthday get together in her backyard with family and a few close friends. We offered to bring a cake. But then we decided that, rather bringing a birthday cake with a bunch of candles for her to blow out, we are going to pick up some cupcakes and put a single candle on the one we give to her.

Because, you know, COVID-19.76648169-B6DB-4D18-837E-E3BA064419F2

21 thoughts on “Because COVID-19

1. James Pyles July 26, 2020 / 7:04 pm

My twin sons (adult) had their birthday at the beginning of the month. We had a cake with candles and they both blew on it. Then the family ate the cake. I didn’t even think about COVID until the candles were out.

By contrast, I got a cupcake for my recent b-day.

2. lssattitudeofgratitude July 26, 2020 / 7:35 pm

Your post reminded me of a Big Bang Theory episode. I looked for the BBT clip where Sheldon told Amy he would still like a slice of cake as long as her relative did not spit on the cake. I was unsuccessful.

3. Irene July 26, 2020 / 7:38 pm

I really never liked the concept of blowing on a cake that was going to be shared, so I jumped on the cupcake wagon for my daughters’ birthdays as soon as cupcakes became popular.

4. Maha July 26, 2020 / 8:30 pm

All the things that we normally do are busted by Covid, so the abnormal is the new normal šŸ˜

5. pensitivity101 July 27, 2020 / 7:46 am

Something that had never crossed my mind, and I’d attended a lot of birthday parties!

6. leigha66 July 28, 2020 / 7:46 pm

I seen the suggestions of a hair dryer, emptying the air out of a (non helium) balloon, and a squirt gun with good aim. It is really kind of a weird tradition when you think about it.

7. Peakspeak September 5, 2020 / 2:08 am

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚…eeewww…we didn’t have such a close shave with microbial world back then….