Outta Sight, Outta Mind

B8900F42-4206-41AE-9F0F-9EBF30AE7037I was quite busy yesterday. Busier, anyway, than I usually am on any given Thursday since my retirement three and a half years ago.

Why was I so busy yesterday? Thank you for asking. I’ll tell you why. I had to move things around in our house to make space for a new dining room table that was being delivered. I had a meeting with a company that installs whole house generators as a backup when the inevitable rolling power outages due to wildfires hit this summer. I met with a landscaper for an estimate on doing some work in our backyard. And I had to take a quick trip to the grocery store. Busy, busy, busy.

Why am I telling you this? Thank you for asking. I’m telling you this because I only posted twice yesterday. One post was my daily Fandago’s one-word challenge, “precocious,” that I posted just after midnight. The other was my response to the Three Line Tales prompt from Sonya, that I posted in the wee hours of the morning. Nothing after those two posts for the rest of the day.

I usually post three to five times a day, a few in response to various prompts, and others expressing my observations, thoughts, and perspectives about the shitstorm we are experiencing under the “leadership” of Donald Trump and his GOP enablers. On average, at least for the first 22 days this month, my blog has been receiving around 420 views, 135 likes, and 57 comments per day.

But yesterday, out of curiosity, I checked my stats. I saw that my blog got only 228 views, just more than half as many as it usually gets per day. And only 75 likes, again, close to half of “normal.” And worse, only 15 comments, about a quarter of my average number of daily comments.

This precipitous drop in stats is due either to the lack of quality in my two posts or the fact that I only posted two posts. Or maybe both.

Well, this leads me to just one course of action. My blog needs a facelift. I need to pick out a new theme, a different design.

Actually, that’s not true. I’m not considering giving my blog a facelift. However, since I’m responding to Di’s Three Things Challenge prompt, where the words are “busier,” “space,” and “facelift,” saying that about giving my blog a facelift was the only way I could figure out how to use all three of her words.

34 thoughts on “Outta Sight, Outta Mind

1. Forestwood July 24, 2020 / 3:13 pm

I have noticed a decline in stats too. Could it be because of summer and Corona?

• Fandango July 24, 2020 / 10:37 pm

Yeah. That sounds a lot better than a lack of interest in my posts! 😉

• Forestwood July 25, 2020 / 2:50 am

Lol. It is just I have noticed a few people saying that they are taking a blogging break due to summer. I am impressed that you could post so frequently.

2. blindzanygirl July 24, 2020 / 3:35 pm

I also have noticed this Fandango. If I don’t post so much on a day, I get a lot less views. Butalso, since Covid, my stats have dropped more and mire. I think it could be that some peoplecare dealing with other things or even emotions, and not wanting to blog at this time. I must admit that through this damned Covid thing, my brain has gone AWOL and I am exhausted most of the time, and visiting other peeps blogs hasvgottenalmost too much for my tiny brain. Just my thoughts Fandango.

• Fandango July 24, 2020 / 10:39 pm

Maybe it is this whole pandemic thing. I admit to spending less time writing and reading posts than I did in the Before Days.

• blindzanygirl July 25, 2020 / 12:44 am

Same here actually Fandango. In the very beginning of lo ckdo wn Iwas on W pMO RE than usual tostave off the bad feelings.m but then for some reason a couldn’t be arsed in the same way. As before. So now, I am hoping to get back to a more normal pattern, whatever that is. We’re all just tired, I think.

3. newepicauthor July 24, 2020 / 3:37 pm

You also made a Fandango’s Friday Flashback post today and I am constantly commenting on your posts.

• Fandango July 24, 2020 / 10:41 pm

Yes, but that was today (Friday). I only posted two times yesterday (Thursday). And, Jim, I always appreciate your reading and commenting on my posts. Thank you!

4. Taswegian1957 July 24, 2020 / 3:56 pm

I don’t post as often as you do, sometimes only a couple of times a week in each blog, although I try to do more. I have noticed that when I don’t post my stats drop rapidly too. I also noticed that even on my doll blog which usually gets something like 8-10,000 views a month, numbers are down even though I’ve posted some extra material. I hadn’t thought about it being due to Covid-19 but it might be. A lot of my followers are in the USA or the UK and probably do have more on their minds. I do try not to worry about the numbers although I confess I always look. I blog because I like taking pictures and I like sharing them but if nobody looks I still like them.
    BTW I don’t think you need change anything unless you want to.

• Fandango July 24, 2020 / 10:44 pm

I suppose, with people working from home and with kids out of school, people might not have as much “quality” time to write or read blog posts.

5. Marleen July 24, 2020 / 4:15 pm

I was very busy, yesterday, also. In the latter half of the day and very late. Involved in some unusual activity. So… when I checked, today, on what I had missed here yesterday, I was sure curious as to why you hadn’t posted as much yesterday. NOT that your supposed to post more; I was simply curious. I’m glad you took the time to answer my I asked question. I hope all went well.

6. rugby843 July 24, 2020 / 4:17 pm

Possibly your mind is occupied. Mine is and sometimes the photos and words just don’t make sense when there’s so much going on.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

7. Marleen July 24, 2020 / 4:17 pm

my UNasked question.

• Fandango July 24, 2020 / 10:46 pm

Yeah, I figured that’s what you meant. 😉

8. pensitivity101 July 24, 2020 / 4:21 pm

I put out several posts a day but didn’t do as many on Thursday or Friday. My stats are OK and between 200 and 300 views a day, so I’m pleased with that. I do get more when I write more, but it could well be people have other things on their minds just now.

• Fandango July 24, 2020 / 10:48 pm

You’re welcome. Sneaking “facelift” in was a bit of a stretch! 😄

9. Jen Goldie July 24, 2020 / 4:56 pm

Can you believe I’m “Listening” to baseball LOL
    Jays are leading Tampa YEAH!!
    They’re playing in St. Petes.

• Fandango July 24, 2020 / 10:51 pm

It may take me a while to be bitten by the baseball bug this year after not thinking about it for the past four months! But the Red Sox won their first game today!

10. lssattitudeofgratitude July 24, 2020 / 7:28 pm

I don’t look at numbers. I am happy when I get likes and even more so with comments. When my computer says I have 39 new posts in my reader I try hard to look at them all. It is my happy hobby. Thanks for all your wonderful prompts. They keep my mind busy.

11. msjadeli July 24, 2020 / 10:31 pm

Less posts = less views = less likes = less comments. Makes sense doesn’t it? Glad you were taking care of business in the real world. Sounds like you had a productive day.

12. Mister Bump UK July 24, 2020 / 11:02 pm

That doesn’t surprise me a bit. I keep a WP tab open in the browser, but I’m normally using the computer for other stuff. A few times a day, I’ll look at the Notification pane on the WP site, and 99% of what I read will be driven from that. So if someone doesn’t post, I won’t go to their site.
    I figure that I’m probably more typical than I’d ordinarily like to admit, so figure most everybody else does the same kinda thing.

13. TheHiddenEdge July 25, 2020 / 4:03 am

Also very busy on Thursday with a Facelift in the lounge. Had to make Space to get the walls painted. All very tedious when I’d rather be reading your posts!! 🤣

14. leigha66 July 26, 2020 / 7:57 pm

I like you excuse for using facelift. Ha ha! Nice post. Glad you got a lot done even though your presence was missed.