Weather or Not

9AFD3237-6A0B-4E67-A7BA-A94A2E446847I have six weather apps on my iPhone. You would think that, if I want to know what the temperature is at any point in time, I could open any one of them and each would report the same temperature at the same location at the same time, right?

Well, you’d be wrong.

The weather app that comes with my iPhone is telling me that the temperature where I live right now is 77°F.

Weather+ says that it’s 70°.

AccuWeather tells me that it’s 80°.

Weather Underground claims it’s 79°.

WeatherCaster reports 74°.

Dark Sky indicates that it 75°.

So, six different weather apps, six different temperatures reported. With a ten degree variance from highest to lowest! Is it 80° or 70°? Or somewhere in between? I don’t know.

But I do know that it’s sunny and delightful outside. So that’s where I’m going.

Catch you later!

14 thoughts on “Weather or Not

1. KC July 16, 2020 / 3:44 pm

Well, that’s no different than the weather ‘report’ or “forecast” – it’s never accurate. Why would you expect the temperature to be so?

2. newepicauthor July 16, 2020 / 3:58 pm

Throw out the high of 80° and the low of 70° and that will give you an average of about 76°.

3. slmret July 16, 2020 / 5:05 pm

Where I am in SoCal, Accuweather seems to be most accurate.

4. Taswegian1957 July 16, 2020 / 8:21 pm

Maybe it depends on where the apps are getting their data from. I have a weather app on my computer, not on the phone because if I have it with me I am already outside so I can see the weather for myself. I trust the Bureau of Meteorology in my state for the most accurate forecast..

5. rugby843 July 18, 2020 / 1:22 pm

My firefighter grandson relies on Dark Sky. It’s not free but most reliable.

6. leigha66 July 19, 2020 / 4:10 pm

I know one of our local TV stations gets the temp from the airport on the south east part of town, another gets it from the school on the south west part of town and yet another has a local building with it’s own readings. So, usually three different temps. Apps are probably as varied. Just add them all up and take the average.