Share Your World — Smelly Magic

Share Your WorldToday’s edition of Melanie’s Share Your World prompt covers everything from magic to smells to compliments that are insults to things we’ve never done.

In your opinion, what’s the closest thing to real magic?

For me, being present for and witnessing the birth of my two children was real magic.

Where is the worst smelling place you’ve been?

A friend of mine bought an old house, sight unseen, as an investment. He invited me over to take a look at the place and, upon going down to the basement, the stench of dead critters — from rats to raccoons — was so overwhelming that we both ended up tossing our cookies right then and there.

What are some things that you’ve heard in your own life, which sounded like compliments but were actually insults?

“Some men can really pull off the shaved head look,” she said. I was waiting for her to say, “…and you’re one.” But she didn’t.

What incredibly common thing have you never done?

I don’t know that there are too many “incredibly common” things that I’ve never done. That said, I’ve never scuba dived, bungee jumped, or jumped out of an airplane.

14 thoughts on “Share Your World — Smelly Magic

1. Melanie B Cee July 6, 2020 / 10:54 am

Thanks Fandango for Sharing Your World! I don’t happen to think scuba diving, bungee jumping 😮 or jumping out of a plane, ‘common’ things to do. I’ve never done any of them myself..but then I can’t swim for beans, bungee jumping always seemed a good way to die, screaming; and I did want to jump out of an airplane when I was a young and foolish sprout, but these days? ‘They’ won’t let me as it tends to cause hip replacements to dis-place apparently, and artificial knees to rupture or something. No thanks! That house story (with the stench ridden basement) probably smelt that much worse after two men puked in it. Puke has it’s own unique (and highly unpleasant IMHO) miasma. bleah. How awful!! Did the owners have some weird reason they kept/let dead animals in their basement? My goodness!! :O !!!

• Fandango July 6, 2020 / 10:55 pm

I think, since the house had been vacant for a while, the animals may have at one time made a home in the basement but eventually died. Hence, the dead animals and the stench. It was SO bad!

2. Marilyn Armstrong July 6, 2020 / 11:09 am

I have luckily been spared the smell of corpses, human or otherwise. But i gotta say, NY’s subways and a good close second!

• Fandango July 6, 2020 / 10:58 pm

Ah, the pungent smell of subway urine. 🤢

3. Sadje July 6, 2020 / 11:28 am

Those aren’t common things! Only very adventurous people do them.

• Fandango July 6, 2020 / 11:04 pm

Well, I couldn’t think of any “incredibly common” things I’d never done! 🤷🏻‍♂️

4. Marleen July 6, 2020 / 9:24 pm

I don’t remember a lot of smelly places. I remember one. A cousin was in town maybe five years ago for us to go to a concert. I wanted to go to a restaurant with which I was familiar [so as not to find a dud while having company] somewhat nearby our destination first, but someone else (there were four of us going and two of us liked my idea) wanted to eat at a place with good reviews right across the street from the musical venue… to save time on not parking twice. Seemed to make sense. When we walked in, it looked like it was going to be a nice enough place.

It turned out to be too busy to seat the crowd until they opened up a back room they never used. It smelled, and I was perplexed as to why all involved didn’t insist on immediately leaving. We were told the room had been used for dance parties, or something like that. Additionally, the “service” was not just slow: ridiculous. I said more than once that we should leave. (I’m more inclined to go hungry for a few hours than to consume disgusting food.) But two of the four people decided we had passed a point of no return and wouldn’t be able to eat at all if not there.

5. leigha66 July 7, 2020 / 7:55 pm

I don’t know if it is “common” but I have never broken a bone or had chicken pox… most people are surprised by that. And I have never done any of your three either.

• Fandango July 7, 2020 / 11:46 pm

I’ve broken a couple of bones, unfortunately, and I also had chicken pox. You haven’t missed much.

6. as1neth July 19, 2020 / 7:03 am

We almost bought an abandoned house in NJ, despite the fact that the whole place smelled of urine and feces when we first visited. I can only hope it was all non-human in origin.

Still love that house, but happier by far with the one we ended up getting in NY (older, and largely putrid-scent-free!)