#writephoto — Is That OZ?

5B1DBCB6-5D3C-471E-A1FA-112BA50D9C17Lizzy stopped and let go of her father’s hand. “No, I’m not going.”

“Lizzy, we have to keep moving, sweetheart,” her father said.

“No,” she insisted. “I saw this before. This is the field that Dorothy, Toto, the tin man, the scarecrow, and the lion went into and they all fell asleep for a long, long time. I’m not going in there.”

“Oh Lizzy, that was make believe,” Her father responded. “Besides, that was a field of red poppies. This is a field of purple heather. You have nothing to worry about.”

“Are you sure, Daddy?”

“Yes, sweetie, I’m sure,” he said as he grabbed her hand.

Lizzy pointed toward the hills in the distance. “Is that Oz?” she asked.

“No, honey, it’s freedom,” he answered. “Now let’s hurry before the secret police or the state security forces catch up with us.”

Written for Sue Vincent’s Thursday Photo prompt.

23 thoughts on “#writephoto — Is That OZ?

• Fandango July 2, 2020 / 11:02 pm

It’s reflective of the dark mood I’m in lately.

1. Marleen July 2, 2020 / 12:05 pm

That strikes me as the blurb on a jacket for a novel.

• Fandango July 2, 2020 / 11:04 pm

All I need to do is write about 60,000 more words to complete the novel. 😉

2. Sadje July 2, 2020 / 12:23 pm

Good story Fandango. I hope they make it to freedom.

• Fandango July 2, 2020 / 11:09 pm

Thanks. I’d like to say I will add on to it. But I probably won’t. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Stine Writing July 4, 2020 / 9:35 am

I do that all the time, think I will go back and add to something I have written. I rarely ever have. On my computer I have a boat load of started pieces.

3. leigha66 July 4, 2020 / 6:38 pm

I liked the end of this… lets hope they found freedom and a better life.