Things Gotta Breathe

60BACCE3-A1AA-433E-BA95-5BA54AA4AC67During an interview with Stephen Colbert, Jon Stewart, with respect to the wearing of masks and maintaining social distancing, said, “The politicization of basic hygiene has been one of the more surprising aspects of the pandemic.”

He’s right. COVID-19 cases have surged in recent weeks, yet even in the face of emerging evidence showing that wearing face coverings can slow the transmission of COVID-19, the ridiculous debate over whether to require face coverings in public has become increasingly politicized.

A recent Quinnipiac University poll showed overwhelming support among Democrats for mask wearing, but a little more than one-third of Republicans feel the same. Why is that?

Sorry, that was another rhetorical question. We all know why that is.

In the meantime, this reason for not wearing a mask, which took place at a public hearing in Palm Beach, Florida, is a hilarious case of, um, oversharing.

17 thoughts on “Things Gotta Breathe

1. Christine Bolton June 27, 2020 / 9:30 am

Oh my gosh did you listen to all of those protestors at that council meeting in Palm Beach? How unbelievably ridiculous those people, are! I always said the state motto of Florida should be “The Fuck Up State”. You name it, we’ve done it and our governor continues to do it. 😕😜

2. rugby843 June 27, 2020 / 9:37 am

Just, yuck! We’ll see if she says that while lying in a hospital with a ventilator

3. Marleen June 27, 2020 / 11:08 am

At the same time, these sorts of people (I want to be careful not to say “the same people” although it’s likely often so because of the stubborn irrational-follow behavior) minimize people [black] who actually can’t breathe with large men compressing their necks and backs (so the lungs can’t expand) — and those who advocate for those killed in this way or in danger of being killed (murdered) in that way.

4. newepicauthor June 27, 2020 / 11:27 am

I guess that wearing underwear makes the vaginal tissue moist which in turn makes it difficult to breathe, but I should probably do more research on this very important issue.

5. XingfuMama June 27, 2020 / 2:50 pm

My husband says: it’s not wearing a mask that has been politicized. Wearing a mask is actually common sense. A huge part of this problem is that the CDC lied about masks being helpful in the first place. Another lie about masks, still making the rounds and fueling this “f… you” attitude of the “alt right” (= wrong) is the idea that the mask doesn’t help prevent you from getting sick. If you read the studies they do not say that. They say that it is more effective in preventing you from passing it along. Wearing it does help prevent you from getting sick, it just isn’t quite as effective. So, even if one is a jerk who doesn’t care about others, the mask can help.

• Marleen June 27, 2020 / 10:17 pm

I was out of town, recently, to help one of my cousins. I went to pick up fried chicken one evening, and I ran across a couple of police officers who had pulled over an old* lady. They were all in the parking lot, the police car and the lady and her car. Spread out all over the place, as is to be expect 🙄. And centered on the front door, for no reason. Neither police officer had on a mask.

I was in a city that was experiencing a lot of cases. And I don’t think the lady had expected to encounter anyone; no mask there either. I had on a mask, and the person who brought out the food to where I had found a spot not close to the hubbub (down toward the end of the row of spaces by the building in front of a different business) properly had a mask on as well.

I had to call and tell her, on the phone, that I was down at the end of the building and didn’t know if it was safe for her to come out. She yelled that I could come in, even though I had ordered earlier with the instruction of curbside service due to my interacting with a cancer patient. I was so distracted I wrote down some mismatched numbers, think I tipped nearly a hundred percent.

* Yes, my own grown children think I’m an old lady… have thought for a few years now. But, you know, one of them thought that when I was forty. She was like near eighty.

• XingfuMama June 28, 2020 / 11:58 am

Another thing my husband pointed out is that the surges are happening in places where its hot and people spend a lot of time in air-conditioned spaces where the air recirculates. Another thing to be careful to avoid. But it’s tough in Arizona to do that this time of year.
        Best wishes for you to stay safe!
        *Age is relative. Sometimes I feel older than others.

6. ruddjr June 28, 2020 / 7:31 am

Wow. I can’t believe that this has also become a debate on Facebook and it’s quite obvious it is divided by party lines. In the city that I live in you can count the number of new cases on one hand.

7. Carol anne June 28, 2020 / 11:44 pm

We have to wear them here when out and about, its mandetory and I am so glad it is! 😘

8. leigha66 June 29, 2020 / 12:18 am

I can’t believe a majority of the people here still go without masks. We will all be lucky to see the November elections at this rate.