Who Won The Week? 06/21/2020

10CC3057-4EEA-4C80-B8C1-700C0FC6C906It’s time for another Who Won the Week prompt. The idea behind Who Won the Week is for you to select who (or what) you think “won” this past week. Your selection can be anyone or anything — politicians, celebrities, athletes, authors, bloggers, your friends or family members, books, movies, TV shows, businesses, organizations, whatever.

I will be posting this prompt on Sunday mornings (my time). If you want to participate, write your own post designating who you think won the week and why you think they deserve your nod. Then link back to this post and tag you post with FWWTW.

My selection this week may be surprising. It was to me, anyway. As most of you know, Donald Trump was in Tulsa, Oklahoma last night for his first major campaign rally, his so-called comeback rally, since before the pandemic. He was very excited about it.

Just before he boarded Marine One at the White House, Trump declared, “The event in Oklahoma is unbelievable,” he boasted. “The crowds are unbelievable. They haven’t seen anything like it.”

The crowds were expected be so large that the Trump campaign set up an outdoor overflow area to accommodate an additional 40,000 fans who couldn’t squeeze into the 19,000 person capacity indoor arena. Brad Parscale, Trump’s cambaign manager, bragged about the “over ticket one million ticket requests” the organizers had received.7D93B8CB-828E-479F-9BB2-00E68E14CE33But it turns out that the crowd was a lot less than expected. In fact, according to a report from Forbes magazine, only about 6,200 attendees showed up. So what went wrong? Why had the Trump campaign overestimated the crowd size? Was it coronavirus? Was is Antifa?

No, it was a 51-year old grandmother in Fort Dodge, Iowa, Mary Jo Laupp, who was apparently so upset by the original date and place of Trump’s rally — the city where one of America’s racist massacres took place, in 1921 — that she asked people to sign up for the rally and to not go.

Laupp led the charge on TikTok late last week when she posted a video encouraging people to go to Trump’s website, register to attend the event, and then not show up.

“All of those of us that want to see this 19,000 seat auditorium barely filled or completely empty go reserve tickets now and leave him standing alone there on the stage,” Laupp told her then-1,000 or so followers on TikTok, normally thought of a platform for dancing teenagers and not for political action.

As a result of Laupp’s post, which went viral, TikTok users and fans of Korean pop music groups claimed to have registered potentially hundreds of thousands of tickets for Trump’s campaign rally as a prank.

So this week’s Fandango’s Who Won the Week goes to Mary Jo Laupp and her teen followers on TikTok. I can imagine that his is what Trump felt like after his rally last night.BF844C67-18FB-44E0-ADF5-1BEB65E45881Now it’s your turn, folks. Who (or what) do you think won the week?

Photo credit: Pixabay and from today’s Sunday Photo Fiction prompt.

29 thoughts on “Who Won The Week? 06/21/2020

1. Jen Goldie June 21, 2020 / 11:03 am

Perfect! No violence. Just using her THINKER (Head) to get the point across.
    I doubt he’s bemoaning. He’s probably kicking chairs or firing someone. Watch for the heads to roll!
    WTG! Mary Jo Laupp

2. Mister Bump UK June 21, 2020 / 11:25 am

I don’t know, is this such good news? If there were a million requests, surely that means there are a million Trump supporters out there? That seems pretty bad news to me.
    But we only have their word for the number of requests.

3. rugby843 June 21, 2020 / 11:59 am

I’m with you! Who would have thought an albeit young, grandmother could start such an uprising? It just proves we’re not helpless after all. Power to the people!😄

Sent from my iPad

4. Suze June 21, 2020 / 12:51 pm

to me, my grand daughter won. she purchased a ticket online (yes she saw that video) and talked her entire high school graduating class into purchasing their own. 15 of them then went to the rally with black tee shirts that said “Black lives matter more than a CHEETO’S”…….yes, I proudly sewed all those shirts for the kids this week. The only annoyance was having to drive to Tulsa (1 1/2 hours each way) to bail her out of jail….and NOT be allowed to bail out all her classmates!

• Marleen June 21, 2020 / 1:13 pm

Seems wrong that they wouldn’t let you bail out her classmates.

Thumbs up to your sewing skills and your granddaughter.

• Irene June 21, 2020 / 6:10 pm

I think you, your granddaughter and the other teens won the week!

5. Sadje June 21, 2020 / 1:05 pm

I love her and her idea! Very clever to hit back at the master manipulator at his own game.

6. Marleen June 21, 2020 / 1:18 pm

Have you ever seen him with his tie untied and hanging in public? I saw that, last night, after he left the event and then was walking out of one plane and over to another.

• Fandango June 21, 2020 / 4:19 pm

Nope, I can’t say that I’ve ever seen him that way!

• Marleen June 21, 2020 / 4:33 pm

I just saw it reported that it was Marine One (a helicopter) he was getting off of. I was half paying attention, at that point, last night.

7. joem18b June 21, 2020 / 1:40 pm

not to change the subject but i’d choose physicians to win this week. i was just listening to the “This Week in Virology” (TWIV) podcast and through so much experience with covid patients now, a lot of progress has been made in the use of anti-coagulents, steroids, and proning during treatment. if i catch the disease, i’m going to be a bit more hopeful about the outcome.

cheers.

8. annieasksyou June 21, 2020 / 2:21 pm

I’m with you on Grandma. I saw lots of folks on Twitter note the wittily innocuous but slightly raw names they used to reserve a seat.

One guy responded, “Oh, so that’s the way you’re planning to steal the election!”

It’s possible that the fact that the press reported 6 campaign workers had tested positive hours earlier may have had an impact as well.

• Marleen June 21, 2020 / 3:06 pm

That (the six campaign workers testing positive) and some of the others saying they weren’t going to be wearing masks would seem to me to be a deterrent.

• amoralegria June 21, 2020 / 8:39 pm

Unbelievable that Trump let those positive-Covid staff workers attend the rally! So irresponsible of them all! But why should he care? He made attendees sign that waiver not to sue him if they contracted the virus, so obviously he knew it was a real danger! He’ll do anything for his ego!!

• Fandango June 21, 2020 / 10:53 pm

Yes, he’s selfish, egotistical, and narcissistic.

9. JT Twissel June 21, 2020 / 3:54 pm

It’s hard to top your selection! Those teenagers probably saved the lives of many Trump supporters. I think it’s also likely that many people saw the protests and decided not to risk being in the middle of something.

10. Paula Light June 21, 2020 / 5:20 pm

Great choice! Also like Joe’s pick. I’d say California is a contender now that our governor has made masks mandatory 👍🏻

11. amoralegria June 21, 2020 / 8:40 pm

When my husband and I were discussing “Who won the week” he also named Tik Tok! Although we didn’t know the name of the person behind it. Great choice! I wonder how many Korean teenagers bought tickets??!

• Fandango June 21, 2020 / 10:55 pm

I don’t know, but they must have registered for a lot! 😂

12. leigha66 June 23, 2020 / 1:18 pm

What a great choice for this week! Makes me proud to be an Iowan!