Change for the Sake of Change

Before I begin, let me thank those of you who responded to my whiny post about the “Visit” icon inexplicably disappearing from the WordPress Reader on the iPhone app. Thanks to you, I learned how to get to a post from the Reader and read it the way the blogger intended it to be read.

But my question is why did the folks at WordPress take what was a one tap (or one click) process and turn it into a two step process?704CF4F5-BF72-49D5-825E-ECBD812BD85E Before the “enhancement,” I would just tap the icon at the bottom left of the Reader notification and it would take me to the post. Easy peasy — one tap and I’m there.

But with the latest update to the app, that “visit” icon disappeared from the Reader. Now I have to go to the three dots in the upper right corner.AB95382A-749A-4E6F-8CCE-1BF7F65EFDBDI have to tap on that (tap number one). That then opens a click box.9C7C0AD9-1AB4-4BAC-A751-3616D776C468And then I have to then tap on “Visit” (tap number two) in order to get to the actual post.

I know what you’re thinking. With all of the crap that going on in the world these days, Fandango, why are you making a big deal out of this?

Well, I’ll tell you. I spent about an hour last night trying to figure out how to do something that used to be a no-brainer. It was simple, intuitive, and straightforward. So of course, the brilliant minds at WordPress decided to complicate it by hiding the link and making it a two-step process. I checked the release notes and all it said was, “And finally, we updated the card design in the Reader.” Yeah, that helped a lot.

I don’t mind change when change makes things better or easier. But I do get pissed at change for the sake of change, especially when it makes thing more difficult.

And now please accept my apology for posting back-to-back whiny posts.

25 thoughts on “Change for the Sake of Change

1. KC June 18, 2020 / 10:59 am

…and it’s not like there isn’t room in the former place; it’s not like they added anything more useful there. Just like at supermarkets, move stuff around so we have to go looking for it. UGh.

• Fandango June 18, 2020 / 10:27 pm

You’re right. What was the point of making this change?

2. Marilyn Armstrong June 18, 2020 / 11:08 am

Pretty much everything they have done has taken something that was easy and made it more difficult. Assuming you can conquer the new format — which also assumes you WANT to conquer it which I don’t — it’s much more complicated. It really isn’t a good choice for the kind of things we do, which are straightforward writing and a few pictures.

Now that I have a nice new iPhone, I’m not even trying to write on it. I need some real estate to edit and even with more real estate, I’m a really terribly proofreader, especially without a good spell checker.

• Fandango June 18, 2020 / 10:30 pm

I’ve gotten so used to using my iPhone for my blog that I get lost when I use my laptop. The screen is so damn big! 😉

3. rugby843 June 18, 2020 / 11:18 am

I’m glad you found that out. Most people I follow I read in an email. If I get a new icon like or visitor or follower I love to check them out by hitting the old button, fast and fine. Thanks for letting us know how to do it now.

Sent from my iPad

4. Sadje June 18, 2020 / 11:45 am

No worries! Whine away to your heart’s content.
    Have you noticed the glitch with scheduling posts on the app?
    The option for scheduling the post is not visible any more. So I click update and it schedules. I think it’s an iPhone issue!

• Fandango June 18, 2020 / 10:34 pm

I don’t use my the WordPress app for iOS to compose and publish or schedule my posts. I typically do that using WordPress.com via my iPhone’s browser (Safari or Chrome). The schedule button is still visible there.

• Sadje June 19, 2020 / 3:54 am

Oh! Well when there is a problem, we can usually find a way around it.

• Fandango June 18, 2020 / 10:50 pm

I think the times have made a lot of us whiny. Either that or turned us into winos!

5. Taswegian1957 June 18, 2020 / 8:27 pm

It’s very strange that every time they “improve” something it takes longer to do it than it did before. I’m also surprised that so many of these so called improvements are making life hard for people who blog on phones because I thought that they were the people WordPress wanted to encourage.

• Fandango June 18, 2020 / 11:17 pm

They should make it easier to blog from smartphones, but you’re right. They seem to thrive on making it more complicated.

6. PCGuyIV June 19, 2020 / 6:04 am

I completely understand your rant, and it is one that the people in decision-making positions about such things should pay more attention to. At my previous job, we had several tools that were web or computer based, and it seemed that only one update out of five actually provided new or improved functionality to those programs.The other four updates just seemed to make thing look “new and shiny”, and usually had the effect of making them a bigger pain in the ass to use.. Yes, the interfaces looked “more polished”, but all the functionality was stripped away at the expense of looking “modern and sleek”. What’s the point of making something look nice if it isn’t going to work worth a damn for those who have to use it? Ugly and usable is far superior to beautiful and useless. Of course, these are the same people who think the best way to make a knife for opening packages is not to provide you with a simple box cutter, but create some convoluted device that hides all but a few millimeters of the blade in thick plastic, to ensure that you can’t hurt yourself (or open anything) with it.

• Fandango June 19, 2020 / 8:18 am

I worked for a software development company and it seemed that the motto was, “It’s not how good you are, it’s how good you look.” That also seems to be Donald Trump’s motto. (Sorry to turn this political).

7. teamfollowthrough June 19, 2020 / 6:12 am

I am often baffled at how WordPress does things, so I for one can totally relate to this post!🙄

8. Irene June 19, 2020 / 7:01 am

And now you also risk pressing “Unfollow site” or “Share” by mistake! The laptop reader still has the “visit” icon, so I don’t understand why they would change the phone version.

9. leigha66 June 21, 2020 / 2:12 am

They always are looking for “new and improved” things to draw more bloggeers. I think it is having the oposite effect.