As It Turns Out…

Well, this is a little embarrassing. You may recall, in this post the other day, I complained that my cat caused my iPhone to fly off of our dining room table onto our hardwood floor. When I first picked up my phone, everything seemed fine. But then I discovered that, while I could make phone calls and send text messages, I could neither receive phone calls nor text messages.

And so I immediately did what any red-blooded American male addicted to and dependent upon his iPhone would do. I ordered a new one from Amazon. Well, actually not a new one, but an unlocked, refurbished iPhone 8 Plus, because it’s a whole lot cheaper than a brand new iPhone 11 Pro Max. My new, refurbished iPhone has been shipped and is being delivered tomorrow.

Great news, right?

Well hold on there buckaroo. Suddenly, at around 8 pm Monday night, my “broken” iPhone started pinging. Three text messages suddenly appeared as well as notifications of five missed phone calls. Huh? I asked my wife to text me. It instantly showed up. I asked her to call me. And my iPhone rang. WTF? My broken iPhone suddenly healed itself?

Well, as it turns out, there was nothing wrong with iPhone and no reason for me to be pissed off at my cat for disrupting my life. Because the actual culprit was a major cellular service outage.0D6DDDC0-5FE4-4A3C-998F-F7AEF7BA1C0CSo it seems that, while I could still make calls and send text messages, that cellular outage, not my cat, was responsible for my iPhone’s inability to receive calls or text messages. Don’t ask me why the outage would be a one way street because I have no clue.

So first, let me apologize to my cat. “I’m so sorry, cat.”

Second, I hope I can return the now unneeded replacement iPhone to Amazon for a full credit.

22 thoughts on “As It Turns Out…

1. Sadje June 17, 2020 / 5:31 pm

It’s good you found out before you got the replacement. If there is time, you can cancel the delivery.

2. Marilyn Armstrong June 17, 2020 / 7:21 pm

We’ve had major intermittency issues, but i hadn’t realized it was regional. It probably explains why half the time i try to call but it just won’t go through.

• Fandango June 17, 2020 / 10:04 pm

Most of the east coast and all of California and in and around Chicago were really hard hit.

3. Shweta Suresh June 17, 2020 / 7:23 pm

It’s a good thing that you found out now. At least you can return your new purchase!

4. Betul Erbasi June 17, 2020 / 7:34 pm

This made me laugh, sorry! You will return the new phone and get your refund, no worries.

5. Liz June 17, 2020 / 8:54 pm

So strange that the outage was only affecting the phone way. I would have been same as you expecting it to effect phone both ways. So yes, you would assume its the phone and nothing else. So all ended well.
    You will get a refund, which if that’s what you plan to do then, I wouldn’t even take the phone out the box, otherwise have it as a back up, should your phone actually stop working one day.

6. Irene June 18, 2020 / 6:20 am

What are the chances? The stars just aligned to make your cat look as the villain, haha (although, he did make your phone fall)

7. animar64 June 18, 2020 / 8:31 am

I was on the train when people started to complain they couldn’t get their calls etc- so it was easy to figure out it was a carrier issue. But had I been at home? I’d have shut it off and stuffed it in my backpack and ignored it until it came to it’s senses- what can I say? It works.

8. Melanie B Cee June 18, 2020 / 1:16 pm

Good deal that you can get your money back. And thank you for explaining to me why my p.o.s. cell phone has worked less and less efficiently lately. Outages? Yeah. Explains a LOT. *grumble*. One reason I got my land line back. I depend on being able to reach out and touch someone (virtually) if I happen to get really ill. Can’t do that with any cell provider you can name apparently. Sad really. Good kitty. I hope he/she gets some tuna for his/her troubles… 😆

• Fandango June 18, 2020 / 10:46 pm

He got some extra attention and Greenies. I felt so guilty for being angry at him.

9. leigha66 June 20, 2020 / 1:47 am

It is weird that it was such a major outage, but not a nationwide one. Glad the kitty is off the hook!