Cat-astrofe

So my wife and I are in the midst of a competitive game Rummy 500 when our cat jumped up onto our dining room table and sat down right in the middle of the “playing field.” I went to pick up the cat to remove him from the table, but unbeknownst to me, he extended his claws and caught them on a cloth placemat upon which my iPhone happened to be sitting. DFD5765B-7610-4476-9159-14B7B0DD7B86As I lifted the cat from the table, the placemat to which his claws were attached also lifted, and my iPhone went flying across the room landing hard on the wood floor.

I dropped the cat and reached for my iPhone. I picked it up and carefully examined it. The good news: the screen and body were intact and everything looked copacetic. Phew.

But about an hour later I got an email from my son asking me why I hadn’t responded to his text message or answered the phone when he called. I called him and said I never got a text or call from him. He said that he’d text me again, and when it never showed up, I called him back to say I didn’t get it. Then I told him to call me back, hung up my iPhone, and waited. Nothing!

Anyway, the bottom line — and it’s a weird one — is that everything works on my iPhone, including its ability to make phone calls and to send text messages. Everything, that is, except its ability to receive phone calls and text messages.

Time for a new iPhone, I suppose.

29 thoughts on “Cat-astrofe

1. PaperKutzs June 15, 2020 / 7:41 pm

Is that all that’s wrong…lll oh our love for our critters Hope you enjoy your new phone.

2. amoralegria June 15, 2020 / 8:37 pm

I love the perspective in the photo – those claws – wow! Maybe it’s time to clip them?

• Fandango June 15, 2020 / 10:48 pm

Mine is an iPhone 8 Plus, circa 2017. I found a relatively inexpensive refurbished 8 Plus online that should be delivered on Thursday. I like the larger screen on the Plus models.

3. Mister Bump UK June 16, 2020 / 12:40 am

That doesn’t add up. If you can send, you should be able to receive. Well, I don’t know, but that’s my gut feel.

4. Aahana Aggarwal June 16, 2020 / 4:07 am

Well at least you get a new iPhone ;). This one time a friend of mine’s phone accidentally slipped between the bars of the rail and fell face down on the ground floor. Her phone literally cracked open into two! 😂

5. Carol anne June 16, 2020 / 11:04 am

Omg! Thats so weird that everything is working barr the ability to recieve a call or text message! Bad kitty cat! 😀

6. Melanie B Cee June 16, 2020 / 1:09 pm

😮 Dead cat. Or at least a drop in the quality of kibble or canned food kitty is receving. At least until “daddy’ has paid off the new phone. My phone (a Samsung or Android or some mess which isn’t “i” anything) does that no receive the text game, but does it randomly. My service provider treated me as if I’d never texted before and didn’t know how. Guess who is switching carriers now… I sincerely hate those damn phones and am only grateful for them if the car happens to break down and I can then call for help. Otherwise? Expensive door stop.

• Fandango June 16, 2020 / 11:13 pm

I’d be lost without my iPhone, but not so much because I use it as a phone, as much as because I use it to blog, to read the news, to research, to text, to play games, and to do a ton of other things besides phone calls.

7. leigha66 June 17, 2020 / 6:01 pm

That is rather odd. Reminds me of the lightening strike at my folks house that took out the ringer on one phone, but otherwise it and all the other phones were good.