Music Challenge — Lean on Me

Music Challenge LargeFor his latest Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie Music Challenge prompt, Jim Adams gave us the Bill Withers song, “Just the Two of Us.” The instruction Jim gives for this prompt is to “focus on this song and use it” as inspiration for our own post. But he also says that we can “write about another Bill Withers” song or we can “write about tears, struggling to make a better life, good things coming to those who wait, or the beauty of it all.”

The other day I was driving to the grocery store to pick up a fairly large list of items and the Bill Withers song, “Lean on Me” came on the radio. Now I’m not what you would call an emotional guy. In fact, I would categorize myself as a more stoic type. But for some reason, as I was listening to Withers sing that song, I became overwhelmed with a profound sadness and started to cry. I had to pull over to the side of the road and wait until the song ended so that I could pull myself together enough to resume my drive to the grocery store.

I’m still not sure what came over me. Maybe it was a combination of things — the coronavirus pandemic, the turmoil the country is going through since the brutal murder by four Minneapolis policemen of George Floyd, or the fact that we have Donald Trump as POTUS and he’s destroying the country I live in and love. But when I heard the song, I felt hopeless, like I didn’t know if I could carry on, and that there’s no one left anymore to lean on.

I’m okay now. I’m back to being my stoic, detached, unemotional self. But seeing Jim’s post this morning reminded me of my uncharacteristic reaction to “Lean on Me” and I decided to share it with all of you in this post.

18 thoughts on “Music Challenge — Lean on Me

1. Stine Writing June 12, 2020 / 8:46 am

Sometimes it is numerous conflicts that weigh on us and finally break us down. It is good to let that happen. November cannot come fast enough for this country! I agree. And the George Floyd death, I can’t get that video out of my mind. It also makes me feel upset I guess you would call it about losing my husband and son but no one talks about it anymore. That is what Floyd’s family was saying, they don’t want him to be just another face on a t-shirt. It is sad that losing someone is so alive if you are the person who lost, but soon forgotten if you are not.

2. newepicauthor June 12, 2020 / 9:07 am

Thanks for sharing your emotions about this song Fandango. If you ever need a friend you can call on me and lean on me anytime. There is a message contained in this song and the lyrics show wisdom about heartbreak and yearning for a better life.

3. Mister Bump UK June 12, 2020 / 9:50 am

I feel strange when I hear Withers at the moment, but I put that squarely down to him just dying recently. Well, it feels recent, anyhow.

4. anotherday2paradise June 12, 2020 / 2:00 pm

It’s such a wonderful song and I don’t blame for crying. It doesn’t take much these days to get me all emotional. Sometimes one feels so helpless.

5. msjadeli June 12, 2020 / 4:41 pm

Fandango, the events that have unfolded and continue to unfold since 2016 can have a cumulative effect upon one’s mental health. Add onto that any other changes and adjustments in your world and you have some idea the weight you don’t realize you’re carrying. Your mind was triggered to release some of that pent-up emotion. Bill helped you out there.

{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} to you. Know you are cared about, and you can lean on me anytime. I’d like to think you’d do the same for me ❤

• Fandango June 12, 2020 / 11:14 pm

I didn’t actually calculate a score, but aside from the stress brought about by living in the era of Donald Trump, my stress score would be pretty low.

• msjadeli June 13, 2020 / 11:39 am

Didn’t you have medical procedure/health scare not long ago? Recently become a grandparent? Change living circumstances and location? This checklist is an old one, the first one I found. I know there are more up-to-date screening lists out there. What I’m getting at is layered adjustments can pile up after awhile.

• Fandango June 13, 2020 / 11:14 pm

Yes, yes, and yes. But my mantra is generally “What, me worry?” But you’re right, things do pile up and after a while, they need a way to be released.

6. leigha66 June 14, 2020 / 4:49 pm

There is only so much that can happen before your body will fly the white flag for a while. We all go through it at sometime or another. And with the kind of year it has been it is not surprising at all. And a good cry does good things to the body actually. Hang in there Fandango!