Friday Fictioneers — Very Hot Air

B196993C-5418-43D4-B09A-3E96A5C6FB57“Sir, do you have a cap or a hat?” the man loading the tourist into the hot air balloon basket asked Charles.

“No,” Charles responded. “Why?”

The man answered, “The way these things work is that we heat the air inside the balloon with a burner, which causes the balloon to float upwards. The flames from the burner generate a lot of heat.”

“So are you saying I can’t go on this balloon ride without a hat?”

“No sir, but you are tall and have a full head of hair.”

Charles’ wife was the first to smell singed hair.

(99 words)

Written for today’s Friday Fictioneers prompt from Rochelle Wisoff-Fields. Photo credit: Ronda Del Boccio.

16 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers — Very Hot Air

1. Mister Bump UK June 12, 2020 / 6:59 am

When I was a boy we had a Persian cat who would regularly wander too close to the gas fire!

• Fandango June 12, 2020 / 8:15 am

Our cat likes to warm himself on chilly nights in front of our gas fire, but ours has a glass enclosure, so he can’t get close to the flames.

• pensitivity101 June 12, 2020 / 9:04 am

Our dog used to lie in front of the open fire, and once a spark shot out and set him on fire. He didn’t budge, but I’d never seen my Mum move so quick to ‘put him out’!

2. ahtdoucette June 12, 2020 / 2:38 pm

As a fairly short (5 feet even) person I appreciate this and any story that points out yet another advantage to being shorter than average.

• Fandango June 14, 2020 / 12:06 am

Hmm. I’m not that tall and my hair at the time wasn’t that big, and my hair actually didn’t get singed, but the top of my hatless head did get quite hot. 😂

3. leigha66 June 14, 2020 / 3:09 am

I never did think of balloons being a problem for tall people near the heater. But then at 5’3″ I don’t have to worry about tall people problems.

4. justjoyfulness June 14, 2020 / 3:58 am

This is the first time I’ve read about the disadvantage of being tall and having a full head of hair 🙂

5. Nobbinmaug June 15, 2020 / 12:50 pm

It’s always the tall people with a full head of hair who get it the worst.