Fandango’s Provocative Question #73

FPQWelcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

You’ve heard of extra sensory perception, right? You know, ESP. There are three forms of ESP.

1. Telepathy — the transfer of information from one person to another without the use of sensory communication.
  2. Clairvoyance — the acquisition of information about places, people, or events without the use of normal sensory contact.
  3. Precognition — the acquisition of information about a future event that could not be anticipated through any known processes of inference.

So my question to you this week is:

Do you believe there is such a thing as ESP? Or is what some suggest to be ESP merely that there are people who are highly intuitive and are very good at reading people’s very subtle signals?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

28 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #73

1. pensitivity101 June 10, 2020 / 3:33 am

Hi Fandango. I believe in it, that sense of knowing who’s on the phone before it rings, susceptible to atmosphere, dreams, vibes, whatever you want to call it. Had a couple of instances myself in my teens. Not for everyone though.

2. Haunted Wordsmith June 10, 2020 / 4:26 am

Yes, I do. While to varying degrees. Those who really can do such things are not found on ghost hunting tv shows, talk show circuits, or charge $50 a minute. There’s a few things in the paranormal field that I don’t believe in one iota but I do believe in a lot of things.

3. Sixty-Something Ramblings June 10, 2020 / 6:25 am

Yes I would say I am more intuitive … I can read people like a book. Sometimes it gets me in a lot of trouble 😀 😀 😀 So now I just keep quiet until everyone sees what that other person is really like.

4. kajmeister26 June 10, 2020 / 11:12 am

I couldn’t think of enough cleverness for an entire post, but my response in general is that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. I’m not clairvoyant, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. I think Haunted Wordsmith is exactly correct in that people who actually experience ESP aren’t the ones publicly espousing it. Some of it may be linked to time travel, a technology we don’t have access to…yet. To give it another perspective, I’ve never seen a linear accelerator and I don’t know what I’d do with one if I had one, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist and don’t have functions. It’s “technology” beyond my understanding; why couldn’t telepathy or clairvoyance be similar?

• Fandango June 10, 2020 / 11:48 am

Time travel? I can accept that some people might have ESP-like “skills,” but time travel. I can’t believe that is or ever will be possible.

• kajmeister26 June 10, 2020 / 12:49 pm

What, people with ESP might be able to “see” and accurately predict the future but not travel there? We know there are particles already that may be traveling back in time–the scientific theory and math is there. Whether we can measure it may be a limit of our technology. Or, perhaps it’s the case that travel can’t be done on to the SAME time line, i.e. you can’t kill your grandfather, so maybe there’s a future technology that has it, but can’t interfere with itself. Or we can’t tell. But how and if we could ever see it is different from whether it’s ever possible.

• Fandango June 10, 2020 / 5:34 pm

Well, I’m not sure I believe people who “see” the future and accurately predict it (if that’s even possible) have actually traveled to the future. They may have some special insights and used that to weigh the potential outcomes to predict the one that is most likely. But they haven’t “been” to the future. No way!

• kajmeister26 June 10, 2020 / 6:31 pm

Oh yes. Sorry, I dont think people who see future do so because of time travel. There might be other explanations. I was using time travel as an example if technomogy that’s likely centuries away but might be possible. To your point, I agree with you.

5. Marleen June 11, 2020 / 8:17 am

I’ve “known” things, Marilyn. A couple examples wouldn’t have any way to sensorily be explained as more sensitive to observable data in order to know. Another example could be enhanced perception. (These are examples of the top of my head, not remembering others right now.)

I once woke in the morning with a deep sense of missing someone as if that person were dead or no longer accessible. That person died that day, in a strange accident. In another case, I thought someone should die (but that — famous/infamous — person was not on her deathbed or ill or even looking feeble); that person died within half a day too (I think of natural, age-related, causes). My third example pertained to neighbors across the street at the house in which I lived thirty-two to seventeen years ago. The couple across the street (who had two daughters) seemed like the ideal pair. One day, I saw them sitting s d talking in their front stairs. They were completely calm, and no one was crying or seemed sad, but I sensed they were going to get divorced. It was reported to me, within a few days, that they told their girls they were getting divorced.

6. leigha66 June 13, 2020 / 2:26 am

I think there are those who are extra sensitive to their surroundings and that includes the emotions and actions of other people. Someone with strong empathy may be able to “feel” things others can’t so why not being about to know things too? There are many cultures where they talk of their ancestors guiding them… is that not just a stronger awareness of what is around them? … so I guess it is a yes, I do believe in ESP to a point. It is certainly not something that would be embraced in today’s culture, but maybe one day.