Share Your World — Public Speaking, Caves, Achilles’ Tendon, and Silliness

Share Your WorldMelanie, over at Sparks From a Combustible Mind, has gifted us with another edition of Share Your World. Are you ready?

How comfortable are you speaking in front of large groups of people?

When I was still working, I used to have to speak frequently in front of large groups at client presentations, conferences, and seminars. I was okay (i.e., comfortable) with doing so because I was intimately familiar with the subject matter, knew more about the topic than most members of the audience, and was well-prepared. Since I retired, I’ve had only one occasion to speak in front of large group of people and that was when I gave a toast to the bride and groom at my son’s wedding and I enjoyed it. Of course, I was slightly inebriated at the time.

What would be the best thing you could reasonably expect to find in a cave?

Donald Trump cowering and hiding out in a hole in the ground, just like Saddam Hussein was when he was captured.

“On December 13, 2003, Saddam Hussein was captured by American forces after being found hiding in a hole in the ground near a farmhouse near Tikrit.”

What did you think was going to be amazing but turned out to be horrible?

A camping trip with my family to South Dakota: the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, etc. While at a KOA campground near Mt. Rushmore, I tore my Achilles’ tendon in a pick-up basketball game with my son. I ended up going to a hospital ER in Rapid City where they immobilized my ankle. Then and we had to cut our amazing trip short so that we could head home in order for me to have surgery to repair the torn tendon. It was pretty horrible.

What’s the silliest thing you’ve observed someone get upset about?

What to have for dessert. It wasn’t me or my wife, but it was a couple in a restaurant (in the Before Days) who almost came to blows over what to share for dessert. Such a weighty decision, right?

11 thoughts on “Share Your World — Public Speaking, Caves, Achilles’ Tendon, and Silliness

1. kajmeister26 June 8, 2020 / 1:19 pm

That visualization of El Presidente like Saddam Hussein… in a filthy, bedraggled golf shirt, his hair sliding off his bald head, abandoned by the loyalists who he commanded to “hide him safely…” …. that’s the best thing I’ve thought of all day! Thanks for that!

2. Sadje June 8, 2020 / 2:10 pm

Ha! A fight over dessert can be justified. It’s a momentous decision after all.

3. amoralegria June 8, 2020 / 2:37 pm

Finding Trump hiding out in a cave – great answer! Although it’s not something I would relish actually encountering if I were to enter a cave unawares!

4. anotherday2paradise June 9, 2020 / 4:36 am

I would find the biggest boulder I could manage and with newfound superhuman strength would roll it to the mouth of that cave and wedge it there for time immemorial. (I’m usually a nice, kind person, but I could make an exception in this case.) 😅

5. Laura June 9, 2020 / 9:41 am

Cake or sorbet – a very weighty decision indeed. 😆

6. Melanie B Cee June 9, 2020 / 10:01 am

Thanks Fandango for Sharing Your World. Now riddle me this..if T-dump was hiding in a cave to avoid being drawn and quartered or killed outright, would ANYONE attempt to rescue him or would they just leave him in there, behind that immense boulder that a thoughtful person rolled over the opening? 😆 Being able to speak in public with ease is a talent! I can’t do it, never could and don’t anticipate ever being able to… brrrr. Owwwie to the tendon, I have to bet that HURT! Sorry about the vacation though..that was sad. Did you get to complete the trip at some other time? Dessert seems a very silly thing to get upset over…but someone else commented they had worked at a call center or something and had people phone them upset because the remote suddenly quit working and the caller might have to get up and actually change the channel by hand! Oh the humanity!! 😆 I never liked sharing MY dessert with hubby when he was alive. We also liked widely different things FOR dessert, so it wasn’t a problem. But driving? We got into lots of silly fights over THAT!!

• Fandango June 9, 2020 / 12:46 pm

I would certainly leave him in that cave. Yes, that Achilles’ tendon tear was very painful, but we were able to take other family vacations after I healed.

7. Marleen June 11, 2020 / 8:53 am

The last time I spoke in front of a large crowd was when hundreds of people were going to be selecting delegates to the Democratic National Convention for 2016. It was fun.

8. Marleen June 11, 2020 / 9:18 am

The silliest thing I ’ve observed someone get upset about was, in fact, spilled milk. One of my sons, when he was maybe three, stood on a kitchen chair next to the table (and, no, that wasn’t a problem… we weren’t a family of many rules). He wasn’t acting silly or jumping or throwing a fit or anything like that (I don’t remember for sure, but he was probably simply trying to be taller in order to get nearer some conversation.) He accidentally knocked over a small glass of milk. His dad sort of bopped him on the top of the head (which, yes, was a complete no-no and had never happened before in our family)… even if in a mildly restrained manner. Prior to that, I had been one of those people who only questions (or corrects) her husband behind closed doors (to not put doubt into the children about their dad). Such a habit ended right there.