SoCS — Fancy That

7FEF9A62-4DAF-4CD8-8CD4-2FAAF7D82E97“What’s that smell?” Mike asked his mother as he walked into the kitchen.

Fantastic, isn’t it?” his mother said. “I’m cooking liver and onions for dinner.”

“Ew,” Mike said, “I’m not a fan of liver and onions. Will you please turn on the goddam exhaust fan over the stove to get that odor outta here?”

“Michael,” his mother said, “I don’t appreciate it when you use profanity around me.”

“Oh Ma, stop being such a fanatic about a little cursing,” Mike said. “You and dad curse at each other all the time when you’re having one of you frequent fights.”

“Married couples fight, Michael,” she said. “Grown ups don’t live in some fantasy world where no one ever fights. Stop being so infantile.”

“Infantile?” Mike said, laughing. “Where did you learn such a fancy word?”

Now it was his mother’s turn to laugh. “You better watch yourself, young man,” she said, “before I take you over my knee and spank you until your fanny turns bright red. Now be a dear boy, Michael, and bring your mother that bottle of Zinfandel over there.”

“Yes, mother,” Mike said.

Fandango has written this bit of silliness for Linda G. Hill’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday, where we are tasked with using the word “fan” by itself or finding a word that starts or ends with it.

11 thoughts on “SoCS — Fancy That

1. pensitivity101 June 6, 2020 / 5:28 am

drool………………….. liver and onions. Add bacon and cabbage, and that was the first meal Hubby cooked for me. Yum!!

2. Paula Light June 6, 2020 / 8:01 am

Fantabulous! I’m also one of those weirdos who likes liver and onions, especially if there are sautéed mushrooms involved…

3. rugby843 June 6, 2020 / 11:14 am

Ewww, can’t touch it, smell it or eat it!😖

Sent from my iPad

4. CARAMEL June 6, 2020 / 2:29 pm

One of my memories from before I became vegetarian at six years old was my Mum making liver and onions – I still have nightmares even today!

5. Laura June 6, 2020 / 6:30 pm

Can’t say I’ve ever had the urge to try liver and onions. Pretty sure I never will.

• Fandango June 6, 2020 / 11:11 pm

It’s been a while since I last had it, but it’s actually quite tasty if you can get past what it is you’re eating! 😉

6. Marleen June 6, 2020 / 6:38 pm

Funny uses of the word fan. I liked the story. I’m going to have to try adding mushrooms sometime.

7. leigha66 June 8, 2020 / 2:59 pm

I had a bite of some at a restaurant years ago and loved it. Sadly that was a restaurant out of town on vacation. I am not sure I could cook it right. I know my Mom always said that her mom would turn it into shoe leather by overcooking it. Oooh mushrooms would be a nice edition.