Song Lyric Sunday — Cinnamon Girl

For this week’s Song Lyric Sunday, Jim Adams tried to spice things up, giving us the words Cinnamon, Mint, Parsley, Pepper, Rosemary, Sage, Salt, and Thyme to use as our theme. As tempted as I was to go with Simon & Garfunkel’s “Scarborough Fair — Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme,” I decided, instead, to go with Neil Young’s “Cinnamon Girl.”

“Cinnamon Girl” was a song written and sung by Neil Young from his 1969 album Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, with his band, Crazy Horse. The single was released the following year and it reached number 55 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1970.

Young wrote “Cinnamon Girl,” along with two other songs from that same album — “Cowgirl in the Sand” and “Down by the River” — while suffering from the flu and running a 103° fever at his home in Topanga, California.

The song is about a singer daydreaming for a girl to love, singing that he waits “between shows” for his lover. Young never said specifically who the Cinnamon Girl was, although he once said that he “wrote this for a city girl on peeling pavement coming at me thru Phil Ochs eyes playing finger cymbals.” Ochs was a folk/protest singer active in the ‘60s who had issues with his mental stability and paranoia.

Young’s muse for the song was supposedly ‘60s folk singer Jean Ray. He admitted to having a crush on Ray. When asked if she was the Cinnamon Girl, Young said, “Only part of the song. There’s images in there that have to do with Jean and there’s images that have to do with other people.”

Here are the lyrics to the song.

I wanna live

A dreamer of pictures
I run in the night
You see us together
Chasing the moonlight
My cinnamon girl

Pa send me money now
I’m gonna make it somehow
I need another chance
You see your baby loves to dance
Yeah…yeah…yeah

26 thoughts on “Song Lyric Sunday — Cinnamon Girl

1. aisasami May 31, 2020 / 3:41 am

Love this! I never heard of this one before but it sounds really good. Love the heavy rock vibes!

2. willowdot21 May 31, 2020 / 3:44 am

Nearly chose this one but when with a more modern sad song by the same name. You chose well 💜💜💜

• Fandango May 31, 2020 / 5:16 pm

I just heard that song on the radio driving back from the grocery store. Why do you think that song was about her?

• Fandango May 31, 2020 / 11:18 pm

Oh, I thought maybe, given all the research you’ve done on music artists and bands that maybe you had some “insider” information.

3. msjadeli May 31, 2020 / 1:41 pm

It’s a yearning, sexy song. Makes me wonder what fever dreams Neil was having. Great choice, Fandango.

• Fandango May 31, 2020 / 10:49 pm

Yes, between that song and the two others he wrote while running a high fever, he must have been really “flying high”!

4. Marleen May 31, 2020 / 2:09 pm

Did I ever mention, here, that I met a little girl named Cinnamon a long while back? I don’t know why she was named Cinnamon. She had nearly the blondest hair I’d ever seen. I thought of adopting her, but I was married… and it takes two.

{ We already had five children. }

• Fandango May 31, 2020 / 10:54 pm

It’s a beautiful name for a girl, but for some reason, I imagine it might be better suited for a redhead than for a blonde.

• Marleen June 1, 2020 / 9:30 pm

Yeah, or I was thinking brown hair would make sense in another way. Cinnamon sticks are brown. Blond hair makes the least sense, it would seem. You know… I don’t remember the color of her eyes… like maybe flecks of cinnamon in a sugar cookie or snickerdoodle. There would be no smart-phone icon for her, like no smart-phone icon for me (or emoji I guess is the word)… for a different reason.

• Fandango June 1, 2020 / 4:41 pm

It is a great song with that unique Neil Young sound.