Chip Off the Old Block

Tomorrow is the day that WordPress is mandating the use of its new Block editor on its app and on WordPress.com. I really wish they wouldn’t do that. It’s putting a lot of undue stress on me.

I like the Classic editor and I see no valid reason for WordPress to abandon those of us who been around for a while. Why must they imposing this change on us? The Classic editor is not perfect, but why not leave well enough alone?

But being someone who is at least willing to give change a chance, I experimented with the new Block editor. I opened up my iPhone and clicked on where it said “Try the new Block editor.”74566D35-09A0-4B65-853A-9619E11FBB56So I did. And it seemed pretty easy. It said “Add title,” which I did. Then it said “Start writing,” which I did.3807FD3F-3C78-434B-AB06-01684B66D83FSo far so good, right? I wrote a few words and the plus sign on the right disappeared. I noticed the plus sign at the top left, so I tapped that. And this showed up, taking up my entire iPhone screen.32D7E5AC-7289-4E3A-8C02-A28F6BB4004FI didn’t know what to do so I hit the X in the upper right. Then I hit settings icon and this showed up:14FFB470-2A67-478A-A1C3-5CB87EB6D413WTF? I started tapping here, tapping there, and got totally lost. And that was the point, after an intensive 90 second effort, I frantically searched for and miraculously found the “Switch to Classic Editor” link.5589474F-DE1E-4C74-B52F-E7F99AC40F00I tapped on that and now I’m not going back to the Block editor. Ever! I guess I’m just not a chip off the old [or the new] block. Editor, that is.

52 thoughts on “Chip Off the Old Block

• Fandango May 31, 2020 / 11:00 pm

It wasn’t a fun experience…for me, anyway.

1. Paula Light May 31, 2020 / 4:33 pm

I’ve used Blocky from my laptop a few times now and edited posts on my phone, but I don’t think I’ve begun a phone post in block… will try!

2. blindzanygirl May 31, 2020 / 4:37 pm

Can’t use the bloody thing!

• Fandango May 31, 2020 / 11:02 pm

It’s not a good user experience, at least not for me and not on an iPhone.

• blindzanygirl May 31, 2020 / 11:18 pm

No it didn’t work for me when I tried it a while ago!

3. Renard Moreau May 31, 2020 / 4:56 pm

🙂 You probably know that I have been using the Block Editor since its beta stage.

The Block Editor would take a while to grow on you; once you learn how to use it, you will appreciate it.

• Fandango May 31, 2020 / 11:05 pm

Perhaps, but do you use it on a smartphone? I have found it almost unusable on a small screen. I might feel differently if I blogged from a laptop, but I don’t, so I think I’ll stick with the classic editor as long as possible.

• Renard Moreau June 1, 2020 / 1:45 am

🙂 No, I do not use the Block Editor on a smartphone.

I also believe that the Block Editor is most appropriate for devices with larger screens.

In your case, you might as well hold out until the Classic Editor is discontinued.

• Fandango May 31, 2020 / 11:06 pm

As long as I can still use the classic editor, I’m okay. But if they take that away, I’m done with WordPress.

4. CARAMEL May 31, 2020 / 5:03 pm

It’s already 1st June here…nothing has happened yet. I am petrified I am not going to be able to figure it out. I have scheduled posts to be published on each day of June to give me a while to try to get used to it.

• Fandango May 31, 2020 / 11:10 pm

The company that runs WordPress is located in California, so I’m assuming that the switch won’t occur until after midnight California time, which is about 50 minutes from now!

5. msjadeli May 31, 2020 / 5:11 pm

I honestly can’t say what I’m going to do once it is forced to be dealt with. Thank you for posting your step by step experience, Fandango. It helps in getting prepared for — gulp — tomorrow.

6. Suze May 31, 2020 / 5:41 pm

i tried it..three times I tried and never figured out what the heck I was doing. I hate the blessed thing!

• Fandango May 31, 2020 / 11:19 pm

It certainly isn’t at all intuitive.

7. pendantry May 31, 2020 / 6:16 pm

I wonder whether the reports of experience are divided between those who have used it on a mobile device and a desktop environment. I’ve used it on the latter and haven’t had a problem with it, but I can imagine it being a nightmare to try to use on a smartphone.

• Fandango May 31, 2020 / 11:24 pm

I use my iPhone for my blog. Maybe if I used a desktop or a laptop with a larger screen and more screen real estate, I’d feel differently. But it is a nightmare on a smartphone.

• Fandango May 31, 2020 / 11:25 pm

Who is it designed for, that’s what I’d like to know. Not only is the Block editor intrusive, it’s not at all intuitive.

8. Taswegian1957 May 31, 2020 / 7:29 pm

I don’t know how much different it is to blog on a phone as I have never done it. I imagine that it is much harder to find information on that tiny screen. I carried on using the :Classic Editor when the previous one came out a few years ago because I didn’t like it. Then when the block editor came along I avoided it for quite a while before eventually deciding that i had better get used to it because I was sure that one day WordPress would make it impossible to use anything else. It was difficult at first even though there were not as many different blocks as it has now. It seemed to take forever to do things I’d been doing very quickly before. Eventually I got used to it and since I started blogging almost exclusively on my laptop where I had enabled the block editor I now use it most of the time. I am glad that there is a workaround for those that don’t want to use it at all but I am managing.

• Fandango May 31, 2020 / 11:28 pm

I might feel more positive about it if I blogged on a laptop, but since I use my iPhone to blog, the Block editor is not well suited for such a small screen.

• Taswegian1957 May 31, 2020 / 11:30 pm

I can see that which is what makes it all the more surprising that WP chose to adopt it. I thought that they were trying to make blogging more accessible to people who use phones and tablets.

9. Goin' the extra...aaamile May 31, 2020 / 10:10 pm

The new black editor sucks BIG TIME! I don’t like it either…just didn’t have the same feeling typing out a post with it..I mean..yes…too much confusion.

10. angloswiss June 1, 2020 / 12:25 am

I was wondering to what extent they would be forcing this on us and now I know. I tried the block editor, but too much stress and time wasting. I found the back door to the good old system some time ago and am hoping it is still there.

11. Irene June 1, 2020 / 11:07 am

I am getting used to it; I am finding this “improved” version better than the prototype they launched a couple of months ago, and one of the blocks is “classic”, so I go there often. I guess it is not worse than the Classic editor, although I see no obvious improvement, just more templates that I would not use because I think then all the blogs will start looking the same; we are literally being pushed to think “inside the box.”

12. Dorinda Duclos June 1, 2020 / 2:28 pm

I just did a post using the Classic. Is it only the app that changed? I thought they said they weren’t changing it until December. I agree, they don’t need to change it. I’ve used the block editor. I hate it.

13. Carol anne June 1, 2020 / 11:31 pm

And neither am I! I tried to use it, nope, not happening! I couldnt load photos, when I tried, and being blind, its just, too complicated for me!

14. Hehe, pretty much the same. Since April, New WordPress users started with the block editor as a default setting. I know because my friends complained about how difficult was to publish on WordPress.
    The first time I switched to the blocks, I accidentally entered into the html setting. I died. The worst: I promised the other gals wp lessons. I ended up teaching the classic one. Still figuring out the new stuff.

15. leigha66 June 2, 2020 / 11:36 pm

I am giving it my best shot. I finally found the category section, now I need to know how to separate verses in poems… it wont insert a line break. I will fumble through it a little while longer. So far it is not high on my like it list.