One-Liner Wednesday — Delusion

00D95775-E220-42DF-8473-FED2ED7BECB0

“When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity; when many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.”

Robert Pirsig, American writer and philosopher

Oh Fandango, you didn’t really do that did you?

Do what?

Use that quote for today’s one-liner.

Hey, I didn’t say that. I was quoting Robert Pirsig. You know, the author of “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.”

Well, Dango, you’d better be prepared for a backlash for this one-liner. It’s gonna piss some people off.

No worries, pal. I say bring it on!

Written for today’s One-Liner Wednesday prompt from Linda G. Hill.

27 thoughts on “One-Liner Wednesday — Delusion

• Fandango May 27, 2020 / 11:34 am

Uh oh. I talk to myself all the time. Well, actually, I’m talking to my wife, but she doesn’t listen, so I might as well be talking to myself.

1. Laura May 27, 2020 / 11:54 am

Never shy away from a good backlash, that’s what I always say. Have fun!

• lifelessons May 27, 2020 / 7:50 pm

No not working on any of the blogs and on the others the link didn’t work either so you are one ahead.

• Fandango May 27, 2020 / 3:49 pm

The link worked! So at least there’s that! Thanks for taking the extra step, Judy.

2. Marleen May 27, 2020 / 1:12 pm

I read that book, the motorcycle one, when I was about nineteen. I think it shows that even science can have “believers” (in the pejorative sense). As with anything, one’s mind has to be open to observe as well as perceive reality — not just open to anything, and not simply receptive to what the leader or bossiest person or richest person says or most people say (or whatever tends to result in cultish behavior).

I was just reflecting, again, this morning, that I respond to an academic or scholastic, a reflective type, environment of learning — even for my faith. I think for myself, and *pray. I don’t know how fully to explain that I sort matters out and reject much of what passes for truth in religion. I believe it matters what is deep in the soul, and not so much what place or incorporated institution one buys into, supports, or attends.

In addition to areas that seem more categorically “religious” to most people (both the purported friendlies and those who consider themselves hostile), I study economics and urban or community planning (and many other subjects). These things are deeply moral… or immoral, as the case may be; they reveal the heart. One has to reach beyond the usual beginning levels. Not always, this can have to do with age or course.

* (this part is not academic
    — each person has a sense of humanity and physics within themselves)

• Marleen May 27, 2020 / 5:41 pm

One takeaway from what I said, just above, is that I highly recommend the reading of “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.”

Additionally, one might like:

Listen from 45 seconds to 2:45
      — if at all interesting, one could
      hear all and after the introduction.

• Fandango May 27, 2020 / 6:07 pm

I, too, read that book many years ago. I remember enjoying it, but I don’t actually remember much about it anymore.

• Marleen May 27, 2020 / 6:37 pm

I understand that. I gave a book to one of my sons recently, a book that is very important to me. Then I realized I need to read it again to discuss it with him in depth.

• Marleen May 27, 2020 / 6:35 pm

Well… what I read then was “The Dancing Wu Li Masters” — and, in the process of reading that, the motorcycle book was referenced. I’ve mixed up those titles before. Oops. So, what I highly recommend reading is the Wu Li book (by Gary Zukav).

3. Stine Writing May 27, 2020 / 4:17 pm

Hehehe, I think it’s a very fitting quote. I was thinking though what it would do to reactions if it was more Red vs. Blue? Ooohh, yucky politics!

• Stine Writing May 28, 2020 / 5:51 am

I think so and I know you think so, which is why I mention it…People still don’t see it though. There was a guy on CNN last night praising all the work Trump has done. Yeah, next to the report about the US death toll or the man killed by a white cop. That is Trump…uncaring and racist.