Share Your World — Memorial Day Edition

Share Your WorldMelanie, over at Sparks From a Combustible Mind, is celebrating the U.S. Memorial Day holiday in this week’s Share Your World Prompt with a focus on patriotism. Here we go.

In your opinion, does patriotism require the belief that one’s country is the greatest on earth?

As a first generation American whose parents emigrated to the U.S. when they were young, I am very grateful to be an American. But I am not so naive or blind to believe that the U.S. is the greatest country on Earth, especially these days. Being a patriot means wanting the best for your country and its citizens, but it does not mean blindly believing that your country and those who are in charge can do no wrong.

Why is patriotism considered by some to be the highest of virtues? What is so important about love of country? Shouldn’t we be more concerned about humankind, or the planet as a whole, rather than a single country?

Honesty, integrity, having scruples, and being a genuinely good and thoughtful person are more important than deaf, dumb, and blind patriotism. So yes, we should be more concerned about humankind, and the planet as a whole, rather than a single country.

What is the relationship between decisions and consequences?

Every decision, small or large, has consequences, small or large. The hope is that we make sound decisions that will lead to positive consequences.

What is social justice?

According to Dictionary.com, “social justice is justice in terms of the distribution of wealth, opportunities, and privileges within a society.” Unfortunately, thanks to the Republicans and Trump, we are going through a period of almost unparalleled social injustice.

And one ‘easy’ one. What’s one body part you wouldn’t mind losing?

Easy. The only body part I wouldn’t mind losing is the only body part I ever lost: the tip of my penis when I was circumcised in the hospital as a newborn. They used to do that as a routine procedure back when I was born.

11 thoughts on “Share Your World — Memorial Day Edition

1. Marleen May 25, 2020 / 7:23 pm

I don’t know how that last question is an easy one. I looked into what it would be like to have one kidney (if I donated one): https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/onekidney

I think I’d rather have two.

I also thought about the idea of donating part of my liver. But that’s not the same as giving up the body part. And I don’t want to do that either, anyway.

I guess I’d have to go with a tonsil or the tonsils or the appendix. I’d still have to choose one of those, I think, if I had a tail.

• Fandango May 25, 2020 / 9:56 pm

I still have my tonsils and my appendix. But I did have my tail removed! 😂

2. Melanie B Cee May 26, 2020 / 7:34 am

Thanks Fandango for Sharing Your World! I appreciate your definition of social justice too, and you’re right. America has lost that quality under the alleged ‘leadership’ (feh) of T-dump and his boys. Sad too because we have the capacity to do so much. Losing your tail must be painful, but as they do it when boys are babies (in some cultures) I wonder how much memory is attached to it. All the same, it might explain why, if a male has his ‘package’ approached in a threatening manner, the instinctive grab and cup occurs. Also I happen to know (ain’t saying how because this IS a semi-family blog) that having that bit of skin is irritating if one is a fully growed man. Having it removed as an adult can cause a lot of problems. O_o

• Fandango May 26, 2020 / 9:05 am

Ooh, I can’t begin to imagine having it done as an adult. OUCH!

• Marleen May 26, 2020 / 2:07 pm

Fandango said: They used to do that as a routine procedure back when I was born.

That was the case, indeed “back when” here, in the United States. Not in Europe and many other places. I’m not sure when it began to change (the tipping point — 😆 so to speak — toward a significant shift in this country). There is still probably a higher percentage of American men than European men who are circumcised, but the ratio is different among younger men than it used to be. As for some other cultures, probably including some males who live here, they are circumcised as a rite of passage at twelve or thirteen or so; that’s even more rare than picking one or the other during the first month. And, of course, parents used to not really pick or decide so much. The man I married had one brother. Their dad was a colonel in one of the armed forces. One of the boys was circumcised (as a newborn), one wasn’t. It was simply a matter of what was done at the time or in the hospital or different state where each birth occurred. The one who wasn’t circumcised had no problem and was never circumcised. (Yes, I suppose I have to say he’s the one to whom I was married… or how would I know.)

I used to attend synagogue communities (was part of two congregations at different points in time before I moved and didn’t pick back up with it formally). Some people in those settings thought it was fine to have a circumcision of a newborn boy before the mother left the hospital the next day (which is also a newer phenomenon… the leaving so soon, that is). Others waited to have a doctor or hospital do it on the eighth, especially, or other early day. Still others had a sanctioned (generally not medical) person perform a ceremony on the eight day. I’ve also gone to classes at a Jewish Community Center and heard of options for converting men.

{I was totally brainstorming when I thought it would be easier to pick something if I had a tail. But then I had second thoughts… if I really had a tail…

So it wasn’t a euphemism. Nevertheless, I didn’t have my sons circumcised. I thought it was fine for them to be like their dad in that regard. And it was.}

3. Marleen May 26, 2020 / 6:45 pm

As for decisions and consequences, I’m hoping we will see an encouraging connection between some things Mitch McConnell does and an outcome he might not like. For instance, his decision to talk trash on democratic states (whether he meant states with Democrats for governors or whatever) for needing money when some that he was responding to at the time pay more into the federal government than his state does and take less back while Mitch’s state takes back way more than they pay in… just another reason for him to go. Something reminded me of that, today.