Blogging Insights — Comments

Blogging insightsOn this week’s episode of Blogging Insights, Dr. Tanya wants to know what we think about comments. Hmm. Comments, huh? I’d like to comment on that topic.

How important is the comments section to your blog?

I’ve heard a number of bloggers, particularly novice bloggers, claim that they don’t really care how many likes their posts gets, how many followers their blog has, and whether or not their posts get comments. “I blog for myself,” they’ll say. Well, I call bullshit on that. And I know it’s bullshit because I used to say the same thing myself.

But that was before people from all around the globe started liking and commenting on my posts and following my blog. If I wrote only for myself and didn’t care about what others thought, I’d just keep a private journal. But I have a public blog on WordPress and I love my blog’s comment section. I love reading what others have to say. It’s that sense of community and the interchange of ideas that make all the hours I spend writing and reading posts worthwhile. It’s that feeling you get when you know that something you wrote and posted resonated enough with someone else that they actually took their time to write a comment in response.

Do you read the comments on other people’s blogs/posts?

Not as much as I’d like to. Between drafting, editing, proofreading, and publishing my own posts, plus reading as many of the posts from bloggers I follow as I can, there just isn’t enough time in the day left to read all of the comments people make on other bloggers’ posts. Sorry.

Spam comments and spammers: we all hate them. How do you identify spam comments?

I have to say that Akismet does a good job of trapping most spam comments before they are show up in my comments section. The few that do make it through are pretty easy to spot and remove.

Have you ever “approved” negative comments?

I don’t moderate comments, so all comments that aren’t automatically sent to my spam or trash folders are posted. But, since I do occasionally express my personal opinions and perspectives on topics such as politics, society, and religion, I do occasionally get comments from people who take exception to my personal opinions and perspectives. But I have never deleted any comment, even those that can be, at times, a little nasty. Sometimes I’ll engage, but most of the time, I just ignore them and move on. After all, I’m a big believer in what Abe Lincoln once wrote on his personal blog: “You can please all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot please all the people all the time.”

9 thoughts on “Blogging Insights — Comments

1. drtanya@saltedcaramel May 18, 2020 / 10:02 am

It’s that sense of community and the interchange of ideas that make all the hours I spend writing and reading posts worthwhile. It’s that feeling you get when you know that something you wrote and posted resonated enough with someone else that they actually took their time to write a comment in response.”

I completely agree with this.

2. Melanie B Cee May 18, 2020 / 1:14 pm

Abraham Lincoln blogged? O_o Wow. He really was far ahead of his time, wasn’t he? 😆 I did take some exception (mildly) to the comment that “I blog for myself” was b.s. Yeah, maybe. To some. To others (me among them), while I am grateful for the comments I get and the opinions and perspectives, and participation in Share Your World and all that – I DO blog for myself. If what I write isn’t well received (number wise), oh well. Sometimes I look at a piece and figure out why it isn’t so popular and even more rarely I’ll take down or make private the ‘offending’ post, but not often. I’m grateful. But I still write for me.

• Fandango May 18, 2020 / 10:48 pm

Well, I suppose we all write for ourselves, but I stand by my notion that if you (the generic “you,” not you, specifically) don’t care if others read and react to what you write, why would you bother to write what you supposedly write only for yourself on a public website where others can read it. Why not just create Word documents and keep them in a file on your computer’s hard drive? Why not? Because m, while you write for yourself, you are also writing for an audience comprised of other bloggers and you are, as you noted grateful for the comments you get.

3. rugby843 May 18, 2020 / 3:38 pm

I truly do write for my own well being and if someone can relate, that’s great.  Of course it’s nice if people like it, and I do love comments, but don’t do stats.  I used to try every prompt but I don’t do that anymore.  If something catches my eye I respond. No BS, F😂

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

4. Marilyn Armstrong May 18, 2020 / 9:43 pm

The comments are how I learn stuff and very often what starts as a comment ends up as a post. It’s where ideas often begin.

I do block negative comments when I think they are trolls, but i’ve been doing this a long time and you can’t always spot a troll on first comment. Before WordPress there were others.

I’ve actually forgotten the names. One by one, they closed and this is what is left.

5. Taswegian1957 May 19, 2020 / 10:42 am

I do enjoy reading the comments on my blogs and I often read the comment threads on the blogs I follow although I don’ t have time to read them all. I get ideas for posts from comments sometimes. I have certainly turned some of my own more wordy comments into posts.
    I don’t get a lot of spam comments. Askimet gets them mostly. Occasionally I read one and think it sounds odd so I block it but it’s rare.
    I haven’t had to deal with negative comments all that much. If I had to I think I would do the same as on Facebook, allow it, possibly answer it but then let it drop rather than get into an online argument with someone. If it was a blogging friend and I wanted to continue I’d probably do it privately via email.

6. leigha66 May 19, 2020 / 11:16 pm

Sometimes the comments portion can be better than the post. It is a way of sparking communication and that is kind of what words are all about. I do definitely write to maintain a certain sanity but I have always wanted to write poems (started in about 7th grade) and any time a writer can reach a reader and make a connection that is a good thing. People don’t feel so alone when someone has a situation similar to theirs.