Who Won The Week? 05/17/2020

10CC3057-4EEA-4C80-B8C1-700C0FC6C906It’s time for another Who Won the Week prompt. The idea behind Who Won the Week is for you to select who (or what) you think “won” this past week. Your selection can be anyone or anything — politicians, celebrities, athletes, authors, bloggers, your friends or family members, books, movies, TV shows, businesses, organizations, whatever.

I will be posting this prompt on Sunday mornings (my time). If you want to participate, write your own post designating who you think won the week and why you think they deserve your nod. Then link back to this post and tag you post with FWWTW.

This week was an easy one for me. Last night, as part of a star-studded, nationwide televised show dedicated to the graduating class of 2020, former U.S. President Barack Obama made a short, seven-minute commencement speech to the graduating class.

How refreshing it was to hear an articulate, intelligent, compassionate, competent, world leader talking to the youth of America, inspiring them to come together and to work hard to restore their country to its full potential. What a remarkable contrast it was to almost every speech given by the inarticulate, incompetent, narcissistic buffoon who took Obama’s place in the Oval Office.

So this week, Barack Obama is The Who Won the Week designation. He was a perfect reminder of how things were in America and how they could be once again.

And now it’s your turn, folks. Who (or what) do you think won the week?

16 thoughts on “Who Won The Week? 05/17/2020

1. Lanning Lee May 17, 2020 / 12:04 pm

By the same token, I think 2020 graduates won, hearing en masse what it is for a President to be articulate and inspiratonal. It may be the first time many of them have heard Omama speak. May this be an inspiration for some of them to understand that a new President, one who is presidential, can make a difference in the country.

• Fandango May 17, 2020 / 11:41 pm

I hope you’re right. If these kids turn out to vote, it could just make the difference.

• Fandango May 17, 2020 / 11:43 pm

Seeing Obama reminded me how sad it makes me to think of who we have in the White House today.

• Sadje May 18, 2020 / 3:06 am

I don’t think there could’ve been a greater contrast between the two men. Exact opposites.

2. James Pyles May 17, 2020 / 4:23 pm

I won. Idaho entered phase two of its plan to reopen and I got a haircut today for the first time in months. I called the shop on impulse this morning and was offered an appointment to come in at 12:30. When I got there, the staff were all in masks but didn’t require that I wear one (which would have been tough while getting a haircut). They took my temperature, asked me a few questions, and then I got my usual buzz cut. States that are meeting the needs of their citizens and their local small business are “winning” (If we’re really going “Charlie Sheen” here), though I prefer to not make this a competition, political or otherwise.

• Marleen May 17, 2020 / 4:43 pm

I want a haircut. I occasionally think of new haircuts to get when I finally do… get a “do.” (I don’t generally get anything fancy. I have basic long hair, but I don’t want it too long.)

• Fandango May 17, 2020 / 11:54 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed your outing to the barbershop. I bought a men’s hair & beard trimmer several years ago and have been giving myself a buzz cut every two weeks, so I don’t miss going to the barber and paying $20 for something that I can do for free at home.

• James Pyles May 19, 2020 / 2:21 am

Buzz cut is nine dollars. I gave the stylist a 3 dollar tip to support my local small business and someone who doesn’t earn a lot of money for her effort.