#100WW — Signs of the Times

27B0A749-FE80-4EEB-BDC9-1BF547E2C1A4“Remove them, both of them,” the first man said.

“But, sir, won’t we need these signs when the students return this fall?” the second man asked.

The first man got a sad, faraway look in his eyes. “No, I’m afraid we won’t,” he answered. “We’re closing the academy. The students won’t be returning in the fall due to the coronavirus pandemic and we simply can’t afford to keep our doors open.”

“This school has been around for more than 150 years, sir,” the second man said. “Isn’t there anything we can do?”

“Just remove the damn signs,” The first man snapped.

(100 words)

Written for Bikurgurl’s 100 Word Wednesday prompt. Photo credit: Bikurgurl.

17 thoughts on “#100WW — Signs of the Times

1. Sadje May 14, 2020 / 4:47 am

Too bad that this can be the reality for some schools.

2. Marleen May 14, 2020 / 6:13 am

… How Healthcare Industry and Silicon Valley Plan to Profit from Coronavirus Crisis

The whole thing is worth listening to, but I draw attention to 12:40, 14:40, and 27:40

• Marleen May 15, 2020 / 3:10 pm

Eric Schmitt [along with Michael Bloomberg and the Gates’] wants in on some of those Erik Prince (private military or mercenary and foreign meddling, etc.) and Betsy DeVos (charter schools) type mega-dollars from our government: from us, that is. Rather, in my view, we should stop putting middle men/women/leaches (vaunted “public-private partnerships” that have been more famously pushed by Republicans first) in the mix of our public schools and other public services and responsibilities.

At 17:40, the guest speaks of comparative “lower tech” Shock Doctrine implementations (of bailouts for the rich and even the at-fault and of eliminating safeguards) and, at 19:05, a rebranded “grand experiment” (higher tech) on people using remote communications (when parents, for example, have been helping their children learn at home during the pandemic), where data miners have been gaining more data and seeking to profit further. (It has been said on money channels that data is the new oil.) There is the immediate instance of whatever information has already been gleaned, but then a push to make it a permanence that tech companies be in control and, on top of that, paid tax dollars for a “service” in addition to their being entitled to sucking in so much data itself. They want to employ fewer teachers [and (as is addressed throughout) fewer doctors] and so on and take in support themselves.

They may want our infrastructure of school buildings to no longer be useful for the original purposes — primary and secondary schools and colleges and universities. Billionaires (of all sorts) may want to buy up at least some of our property for themselves the way they buy up Hawaiian islands and Floridian beaches (despite heritage and laws) and whatever else they want. This is me looking down the road, so to speak.

The following comparison may be a bit of a distraction, but I saw a recording of Seth Meyers (this morning) wherein he said there are people who are hollowing out our government for business to handle (as many of us have already observed) and then complaining government doesn’t work and should work as a business — like (and this is Seth’s contribution of a simile) a husband who cheats on his wife saying to his wife, “See? This is why we need to have an open relationship.”

And Naomi speaks of an (intended) erasing of the humans such as parents who help their children and teachers helping some even now — the greedy preferring, rather than community or nuclear units, all the credit and future power going to tech and tech companies. This is only another form of what has been happening and promoted by other greedy people; it’s not unique to tech. Now, it’s not desirable in my estimation. Nor has been the slow erasing of government before. The diversion of public money to corporations rather than public good should be reversed.

These names in bold are, I think, not mentioned in the piece. I have included them to give historical context and a context of further meaning.

Something similar happens with the government giving rights to a private company to sell a drug when the government funded its development.

At 26:20 – 27:08, there is a locus of lifelines being considered a category of utility or “commons” for democracy. We still need to decide if we want real rules.

3. Stine Writing May 14, 2020 / 9:13 am

Wow, this is great. Appropriate and so true sounding. I hope it doesn’t happen to too many places!

4. Carol Anne May 14, 2020 / 10:35 am

so much closure is happening all around us due to the pandemic. Sad. 😦

5. Debbie Gravett May 14, 2020 / 3:22 pm

This is the sad truth for so many businesses. When I venture to the shops with my mandatory mask on I look at shop windows while standing in the queue to go in after some have come out I wonder which doors are going to remain closed forever. Too many.

• Fandango May 14, 2020 / 11:22 pm

I know. It’s really sad that so many shops and restaurants won’t come back from this.

6. leigha66 May 15, 2020 / 11:30 pm

I saw today JC Penney’s filed for bankruptcy …. if a big retailer like that can’t make it what hope is there for the little guy?

7. bikurgurl July 19, 2020 / 10:54 am

A literal sign of the times…my initial thoughts when I captured the image. However, the more I get into diving deep into my own journey of anti-racism, I realize this is the perfect opportunity to tear down the old and build a more inclusive, equitable, education system to support all students, not just middle and upper class white, majority male, students.

In the US, it’s systemic racism in every form that undermines the well-being of individuals who do not fit the very small, diminishing, demographic. Having two white male children, one of my intentions in home educating them was to get them out of the entitlement cycle and into a mindset of being the change they wish to see in the world. By having freewrites, open dialogues, honest conversations, I feel like the pandemic actually has the opportunity to ultimately bring some of the change we need to see into the modern world….but that change has to start from within.

I have missed reading your pithy prose and am so happy to have the bandwidth to start wading back into the fold of our awesome blogging community. Building diversity of thoughts, ideas, and stories is what drives me to find a way to continue to restart in the blogosphere-of-things 🖤

🖤 Thank you again my writing friend🖤

Kelly

• Fandango July 19, 2020 / 10:32 pm

Hi Kelly, I’ve missed your 100 Word Wednesday prompts. I just realized that you posted a new one this past Wednesday, but I didn’t see it in my reader. Hopefully you’ll have another one this week.

• bikurgurl July 22, 2020 / 7:52 am

I will! I had set them to post but I never came and checked….I’ve been so overwhelmed with all the feelings….but I’m ready to pick myself up and carry on 🖤 SO glad to see you here again 🖤