Fandango’s Provocative Question #69

FPQWelcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

There’s a lot of heavy shit that is going on these days, so I thought I’d go with something lightweight this week. A softball provocative question. Something you might have some fun with.

I came up with this week’s question after Marilyn Armstrong asked this question in one of her recent posts. “Have you watched any superhero movies? Don’t you wish we had some real ones?”

My question this week is a variation on Marilyn’s. My question is:

Assume you are a real-life superhero. What is your super power? What is the largest obstacle to using your super power?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

32 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #69

1. Marleen May 13, 2020 / 6:19 am

My superpower would be to get all my sons (I guess all people) to hear/sense/realize wisdom and love. I know… hilarious. I’ll have to think about what’s in the way. But I’ll start here: I’m a mom. When kids are little, they think you know everything. When they find out you don’t know everything, it looks like they don’t get over it. Maybe the obstacle is that I admitted I don’t know everything. I believed strongly that if they are empowered and encouraged, then they will very well find their way. It’s true, but they still need to tune into the source.

Okay. Now I’m crying and listening to Carpet Crawlers (not that there’s any wisdom in that).

• Marleen May 13, 2020 / 6:38 am

The song is at 34:34. (I’m sharing this to say…
      Peter Gabriel as the singer.) “You gotta get in to
      get out.” This came to my mind when I thought my
      mom seems to have finally maybe grown up at eighty.
      (I don’t feel like explaining; she’s in… a step toward out.)

• Fandango May 13, 2020 / 12:00 pm

Sorry. I didn’t mean for my question to make you cry.

• Marleen May 13, 2020 / 1:17 pm

I’m okay 🙂

Sorry to make you sorry.

It was one of those moments seeking
        greater perfection. (And hoping for my mother.)

I’m now looking at garden gates compatible with craftsman style.

• Marleen May 14, 2020 / 7:07 pm

I’m happy to report one of my sons called me, today, to talk for hours and inform me he’s following through with a suggestion to him from last week. No, no one knew about “yesterday” — totally organic. The cherry on top is he called me a hippie at least twice.

2. ajeanneinthekitchen May 13, 2020 / 8:35 am

TRUTH is my super power. The biggest obstacle is that people only want to believe what they want to believe and if something differs from their perceived notions of the truth, they shut down to any and all other possibilities.

3. CARAMEL May 13, 2020 / 3:51 pm

lol – I work for the NHS – apparently that makes me a superhero – at least Banksy thinks so!!!

4. Marilyn Armstrong May 13, 2020 / 9:30 pm

Well, at least I’m not crying. i am disheartened and worried. I always thought as a nation, as a people, we were a lot smarter than we appear to be. Maybe all this dumbness is because people REALLY REALLY REALLY don’t want to know what’s going on. Because they are terribly afraid of the reality in which they are living … and were living, even before it got so much worse. Sometimes, when everything else runs out — when there’s no money, no work, and damned little hope, denial is your best weapon. Maybe your ONLY weapon.

My post will be up in the morning.

• Fandango May 13, 2020 / 10:16 pm

I’m disheartened, too, because I don’t see a way out. Trump is a dictator and his Republican sycophants in Congress, in the Justice Department, and evening in the federal courts all the way up to the SCOTUS are fiddling while America burns. Putin must be beside himself with joy.

5. Marleen May 14, 2020 / 6:08 am

Marilyn, I’m really wondering too.