Common Sense or a Lack Thereof

In a post from earlier this week, Di, over at Pensitivity101, wrote, “Common sense seems to have gone out of the window.” That, my friends, is an understatement.

Take, for example the case of a woman who was angry that the dining area at a McDonald’s was closed due to the restrictions in place to curb the spread of the coronavirus. So what did she do to express her anger? She took out her gun and opened fire, wounding three McDonald’s employees. I mean talk about a lack of common sense. What was this woman thinking when she decided to eat at a McDonald’s? That food will kill you!

But seriously folks, what the hell is going on inside people’s heads?Virus Outbreak OhioHeavily armed protesters are crowded together, few wearing masks, at state houses all across the country wanting to open things up again, and carrying around stupid signs like these.DAD41AED-F69A-424C-8EDE-0D0863158C6DDo they want to get sick and possibly die in the name of “freedom” and “liberty” in order to mingle, go to tattoo parlors, and dine-in at restaurants?

I’m not a person of faith, at least not in the religious or spiritual sense. But I’ve always had faith in my country. I’ve always felt that, for the most part, America was a good country to live in and that most Americans, outside of the extremes on both the far right and far left, displayed at least a modicum of common sense and a shared sense of common interests. That’s not to say that I thought of the United States as perfect or its citizens as exemplary. To believe that would be naive and stupid.

But recent history has proved me wrong about the nature of my country and its people. My faith in America is now gone and I’m feeling a profound sense of loss. There seems to be an  inherent madness in Americans. A madness based on our willingness to believe in whatever fiction best comforts us — or enrages us. In the face of overwhelming uncertainty, we desperately seek some ground to stand on, even if that ground does not actually exist.

But I guess we Americans got what we deserved. We elected a reality show TV host as president, one who likes to pretend to be the country’s leader but has no idea how to actually lead a country.

So you’re right, Di, common sense seems to, indeed, have gone out of the window.

24 thoughts on “Common Sense or a Lack Thereof

1. pensitivity101 May 9, 2020 / 1:06 pm

Thanks for the nod Fandango.
    The world has gone nuts. Words fail me in respect of the protestors and their banners. Maybe they would think differently if someone they loved was stricken down by the virus and they had to watch them die (sorry, it just makes me angry that such stupidity puts innocent people at risk, my opinion of course)

2. Jen Goldie May 9, 2020 / 1:07 pm

I’m so sorry for your Country. You used to be our Big Brother, a friend in need and now there’s nothing we can do for you. 😌

3. Sadje May 9, 2020 / 1:07 pm

So right. He has released a genie 🧞‍♂️ out of the bottle. The genie of choosing to believe what you like out of the facts, of racism and of the might being right theory.

4. RuthScribbles May 9, 2020 / 1:37 pm

Our country was built on Imperialism, white supremacy, capitalism and patriarchy

We (#myskinfolk) need to figure out how to break the system of genocide! And the “new” lynching.

5. Lisa Chesser May 9, 2020 / 2:27 pm

Meanwhile, my teenagers are frightened to step out the door. A year ago, this is not the world I saw in the near future. This is the Upside Down World.

• Fandango May 9, 2020 / 11:24 pm

Upside down, inside out, and backwards.

6. Cyranny May 9, 2020 / 2:46 pm

Dear downstair neighbours… I made jokes, but I really really feel for those of you who are still holding on to common sense. It must be painful to see Justin Trudeau signing blank checks left and right so every Canadian can benefit from some form of help, day after day after day. While at the same time, it seems that you get encouraged to believe that there is no threat, just because you don’t like the thought that there might be one. Oh well… I just hope we’ll be able to help, when this ”Freedom First” movement leads you to an even wider spread of the disease. *Sigh*

7. Taswegian1957 May 9, 2020 / 4:46 pm

I’ve often thought that Australia and the USA have many similarities, former British colonies, built up by a diverse range of migrants. We both have big countries with lots of space.
    We’re very influenced by American culture but thank goodness, not the gun culture. We don’t seem to have bred the kind of people who think that if you are annoyed with a store you should shoot the employees. That example is my whole argument about why private citizens should not be allowed to carry guns.
    We often shake our heads and smile while saying “only in America” when we hear some ridiculous story but what we’re seeing now is no laughing matter. I listen to Trump and think “Can’t he hear what he sounds like?” Not only does he not talk like a leader: he doesn’t even talk like an adult! As for the protestors and bleach drinkers, I find it hard to understand how there can be so many stupid people. It is not as if they need to be ignorant. There are plenty of ways to check the facts. Through blogging, I’ve “met” many intelligent and thoughtful Americans. The Americans that I have met personally have all seemed nice people I have pleasant memories of hotel guests I looked after, tourists I’ve chatted to and a history teacher I had in high school. I know you are not all stupid. But what is happening now makes no sense. It is mass stupidity and I’m afraid a lot of good people will die because of it. Stay inside until the madness is over.

• Fandango May 9, 2020 / 11:31 pm

You’re absolutely right. It is no laughing matter.

8. Suze May 9, 2020 / 5:57 pm

my country died, Fan, it’s been a slow death, but it is here. Cheeto-heads are spreading the virus, and they want all of us to have it..so yea..open up the entire country. but they’d better not whine about how awful they feel when they can no longer breathe..or their mom..or baby can’t breathe. Forget bailing out the average American..we have to help the oil and auto industries first! We have to destroy the farmers, the small business owners and the retired, disabled or infants…so what if they get sicker, faster? those people that inhabit our land simply don’t give a damn. I am no longer even sure that I want to be here for the next election……….this is not my country.

• Fandango May 9, 2020 / 11:38 pm

It’s very sad, Suze, and it hurts my heart.

9. CARAMEL May 10, 2020 / 4:27 am

I must admit, it does seem as if on the whole a more meek, cooperative spirit has been displayed by people in a number of other countries with social distancing/lockdown restrictions. When you see people flout direction for their protection like that…it does make you scratch your head.

I do understand why people are struggling with the restrictions. As has been mentioned a number of times, people are losing jobs and businesses. That must be hard. But there is a real reason for the restrictions. Those in authority have really tough decisions to make about what is best to do for the populace. They are never going to be able to please everyone, but I think for the most part they will try to make decisions at the right time.

Stressful times bring out what is going on in people’s heads and hearts. Extremes are manifest quickly.

• Fandango May 10, 2020 / 10:20 pm

Yes, there are real reasons for the restrictions and if they are lifted prematurely, people’s health and lives will be put in jeopardy.

10. Melanie B Cee May 10, 2020 / 9:41 am

I’ve been saying that whole common sense thing for a long time. It died long before C-19 showed up. People who group together (especially in the U.S.A. which is the leader in number of deaths from C-19) sans masks and common sense, deserve to die, in my opinion. Is that harsh? I think it’s natural selection. Stupid f*ckers. I was in my car yesterday, driving down Main Street and silently bemoaning the increase in traffic and tourists from all over kingdom come and saw a group of young 20 something women gathered together in a circle, eating snow cones (yeah, there’s a shop here for those) and gabbing. I thought to myself “Thank God (Flying Spaghetti Monster to y’all 😉 ) I’m too old to mess around like that. C-19 hasn’t been ‘here’ (in my town) but I BET it’s here now and will grow and grow like Topsy. Because of dumb assed young women like those and the endless stream of tourists. My heck!! Common sense? A dirty set of words now I think.

• Fandango May 10, 2020 / 10:47 pm

It’s incredible that people are so willing to put their health and maybe their lives in danger in order to gather, gab, and eat snow cones. Sheesh.

• Melanie B Cee May 11, 2020 / 8:57 am

Yeah!! Whatever happened to those weird machines that made ‘snow cones’ right in the privacy of one’s home? Shaped like a little snowman too. You put ice cubes in his hat and pushed a button or turned a crank thing, and voila! Shaved ice. You had to buy your own syrup of course and those things might have been responsible in part for the obesity epidemic here 😆 but it would be a LOT safer! Now today (Monday morning), it was a ghost town up here. I have to wonder if our governor took his head out of his rear orifice and finally mandated a lock down or something. Of course I wouldn’t know. I don’t listen to that crap.

11. Marleen May 10, 2020 / 2:23 pm

“Some ground to stand on” reminds me of the “stand your ground” philosophy (and laws) that rationalized the murder of Trayvon Martin and May have led to another crime (in Georgia) that will go without justice recently. I hadn’t heard of this McDonald’s incident [not a “stand your ground” story but apparently a delusion of standing for something — as you noticed).

12. pvcann May 14, 2020 / 6:56 am

Even here in Australia there have been similar protests. The cry give me freedom or death seems to be doable.