For Those Who Claim To Be Atheists

5EDABF2B-68F5-4282-AF25-80E11407602FThere is a blogger whose posts I occasionally read, even though he and I couldn’t be more different in our philosophies and ideologies. But sometimes I get a kick out of the mostly nonsensical (in my opinion) things he posts on his blog. For example, in this post, titled “If You Don’t Believe In God, They (sic) Why Are You Afraid,” he claims that atheists seem to fear death.

I’d like to examine what he said in that post and respond to his questions/comments about atheists, God, and death.

First he asks, “[F]or those who claim to be atheists, what are they so afraid of on the other side of life?” Just to be clear I don’t “claim to be” an atheist, I am one. I do not believe in the existence of some sort of mythological, mystic, supernatural, omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent being. I believe that God didn’t create man, but that man created God.

Second, as an atheist, I don’t believe there is an “other side of life.” When you’re dead, you’re dead. Your life ceases. Since I don’t believe in an afterlife, I’m not afraid of it.

But the blogger is correct when he says that, “If [atheists] don’t believe in God, then they don’t believe in a final judgment. He claims that, “The Godly seem to fear the temptation of life that they will answer for come their judgment.” Sorry to burst anyone’s bubble, but atheists don’t live their lives in the hope of being found worthy of getting admitted to heaven for eternity by the magical judge in the sky. We live our lives to the fullest extent possible because there is nothing to “live for” after death.

Then he writes, “Atheists claim to be free and enlightened, yet they don’t seem to exhibit that which they claim.” I have no idea what he means by that. What is it that he believes atheists claim that we don’t exhibit, I wonder.

And finally he claims that “The atheists seem to fear death.” I don’t fear death and none of the atheists I know personally do either. I love life, and I want to live it as long as I can. But I know that death is inevitable and that once I die, it’s all over. It’s not something I’m afraid of. What I do fear is a slow, painful death, so when I die, I hope it will be fast and peaceful, preferably in my sleep.

27 thoughts on “For Those Who Claim To Be Atheists

1. Stine Writing April 28, 2020 / 1:28 pm

I’m not really a good judge of what is true or not, but isn’t being an atheist the belief that there is not God? So this blogger is saying that Atheists are afraid of God? Okay, but if you don’t believe there is a God then how could you worry about it? I agree with you that what this person is saying doesn’t make sense, not in an adult/truth kindof way.

• Fandango April 28, 2020 / 7:25 pm

Yes, you’re right. If you don’t believe that something exists, you can’t be afraid of it.

2. KC April 28, 2020 / 2:53 pm

“By the way, don’t you love it when someone who is not something claims to have a special knowledge about, or insight into, something he’s not?”
    ***Right up there with “she was asking for it”, “it’s all in her head”, “faking ‘menstrual pain'” , “you can’t get pregnant during rape”, “lesbians are women who wish they were men”, and on and on.

3. Richmond Road April 28, 2020 / 3:36 pm

Ha ha! Very good. But you do realise that it is an utter waste of time arguing with these people, don’t you? If the truth is not already patently obvious to them (and I suspect that it frequently is, actually) then you are unlikely to talk them around.
    ‘Faith is not wanting to know the truth’.

• Fandango April 28, 2020 / 8:21 pm

I know you’re right, but when I read his post I just couldn’t help myself.

• Richmond Road April 28, 2020 / 10:19 pm

I completely understand. I terminated my presence on Facebook because the temptation to argue with idiots was too much for me

• Fandango April 28, 2020 / 11:18 pm

I still have a Facebook account, but I can’t remember the last time I went there.

4. XingfuMama April 28, 2020 / 7:14 pm

Sometimes it is people who fear that they are what they are arguing against who claim authority and need to expound upon it.

5. robertawrites235681907 April 28, 2020 / 9:22 pm

I enjoyed your post, Fandago. Religion is something that many people hold very close to their hearts and are quite fanatical about. It will invoke a lot of strong opinions and views if you venture down that road with thoughts and writings. Politics is the same. My dad always told us never to discuss sex, money, religion or politics if you want a peaceful life.

• Fandango April 28, 2020 / 11:11 pm

I don’t typically post about money or sex on my blog, but when it comes to politics and religion, well, your dad would not be very pleased with my blog. 😉

6. Paula Light April 28, 2020 / 10:08 pm

I don’t know why people can’t just be content with their set of beliefs or non-beliefs without a need to denigrate others. Why should a believer care that there are atheists? He should be so happy in his faith that he shouldn’t give us a thought. And conversely, we shouldn’t mock believers either. I feel strongly about that.

• Fandango April 28, 2020 / 11:16 pm

I agree with you fully. My intent wasn’t to mock the guy who wrote the post as much as it was to point out the ignorance of what an atheist is that he demonstrated in his post. Well, maybe that is mocking him, but not because of his believes. Because he’s an ass.

• lindakempwriter April 28, 2020 / 11:19 pm

I grew up in a fundamental church environment. Each Sunday during the services it was drummed into the congregation to convert the non-believers. If you didn’t evangelise, you weren’t effectively living God’s way. Personally, I never wanted to speak to anyone about God or Jesus as it always sounded crack-pot crazy to my ears – I always had a very shaky, tenuous faith. Now I have no faith, my spindly thread of belief was tugged over twenty years ago to reveal…NOTHING. What a waste of my youth!

That’s just a long-winded way of answering your question about a believer caring about atheists. 🙂

• pastorclark2014 June 13, 2020 / 11:48 pm

I know you posted this a while ago. I just came across this post in my searching. But there is a very important reason why we try to ‘convert’ even though we love our God and are content in our faith. For me and plenty of biblical Christians, we know that in our belief system, we know there’s a he for those that have not accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior. We care for y’all and so therefore want to bring you to heaven with us and don’t want you to be separated from God. I’m not hear to convert anyone at the moment but rather give a better understanding for why we do the things we do. Of course, there are going to be jerks out there that take it to the extreme, I’m not referencing them though.

• Fandango June 14, 2020 / 8:36 am

I don’t believe in the existence of gods. I don’t believe that there is a heaven or hell or an afterlife. Therefore, I don’t need or want anyone to “bring me to heaven” or to keep me from being “separated from God.” Believe whatever you want to believe. That’s your right and privilege, but mind your own business. Stop trying to persuade me to embrace your beliefs. And stop trying to save me. I don’t need to be saved.

• pastorclark2014 June 14, 2020 / 11:16 am

Obviously you don’t believe in all of that, but we do as believers. So for biblical believers, we try to bring you to Christ is not necessarily to change your belief, but rather to bring you to a great relationship with Christ. It’s the same concept when you hear of a cure for cancer and you want to give it to everyone you know. Not trying to convert you at the current time, but just wanted you to know why we do what we do a little better so there can be more mutual respect and understanding.

• Fandango June 14, 2020 / 1:21 pm

But what you’re missing is that I don’t want or need a great relationship with Christ, who, if he actually did exist as a man 2,000 years ago, has long since been dead. Why would I want a relationship with a 2,000 year old dead person? And why can’t you understand that the more you try to convince me that your beliefs are real and are more valid than mine or that I need to be saved for not believing as you do, the more irritating you, and those who who think that I need to change, become to me. If you find a cure for cancer, fine, I’ll embrace you. But to say the only way to “cure” my life is to embrace God and Jesus…well, your message is falling upon deaf ears. Believe what you want to believe. That’s your personal choice. But stop trying to make it my personal choice. It won’t ever be.

7. Marilyn Armstrong April 29, 2020 / 12:15 am

I love Ronnie Reagan’s advertisements which he ends with “And NOT afraid of burning in hell.” If I had money, i’d send it to him.

8. Stroke Survivor UK April 29, 2020 / 12:23 am

By implication, you could ask the exact opposite question, i.e. if somebody *does* believe in a god, why do they not just kill themselves so they can be with their god that much sooner?
    Both questions are nonsense, they both fail to see that we (most of us) derive value out of life.

9. Melanie B Cee April 29, 2020 / 1:09 pm

He and you lost me at “atheists do *generalization* and God people do “generalization”. Generalizations are bad, whomever is spouting them. I think mutual respect for a person’s private belief system is the way to go. Both sides of the god equation. I’d never presume to tell you you had to believe, and thus far (because I really do think you’re an old school gentleman in every sense of the word) you don’t presume to tell me I shouldn’t believe and shove logic and fact down my throat to prove your point. Thank you sir.

• Fandango April 29, 2020 / 2:39 pm

In my own defense, I don’t think I made any generalizations about “God people.” My comments were specifically in response to that blogger’s generalizations about atheists. Yes, I did say that I, personally, don’t believe in a supernatural entity called God, but I never implied that others ought to embrace my belief. I’m not a militant atheist, but when attacked, I will defend myself. I won’t simply turn the other cheek.