Fandango’s Provocative Question #66

FPQWelcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

As some of you know, I’m using old sayings or adages for my A to Z Blogging Challenge this year. One old expression I came across was “Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.”571BE568-5C27-41DF-80BC-D1685271F7D6This got me thinking about second chances, as in when someone has seriously “done you wrong,” and then asks you to forgive them for whatever it is that they did.

So my question this week is simply this:

Do you believe in giving people second chances? If so, why? If not, why not?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

19 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #66

1. Haunted Wordsmith April 22, 2020 / 5:49 am

Short answer…yes. Long answer… yes because I believe that it is not the actions of others that define who we are. We are defined by our actions and holding grudges only hurts oneself. Even longer answer…we are not the person we were ten years ago and are not the people we will be ten years from now, so why hold people to past actions?

• Melanie B Cee April 22, 2020 / 11:52 am

Teresa, is that YOU? O_o You have a very sensible and compassionate attitude towards that issue. The grudges do hurt the holder more than the one they’re set against, but sometimes there are extenuating circumstances and invisible trauma that led one to be highly distrustful. I’m such a one. If you care to, go read my own answer. I liked reading yours, especially for the contrast! If you’re Teresa and you’re back – GREAT! We do miss you, you know!

2. ajeanneinthekitchen April 22, 2020 / 9:24 am

YES! Everyone makes mistakes and everyone should be given a chance to redeem themselves and right their wrongs. The real question to me though, is HOW MANY “2nd chances” do we give before finally giving up. That will be different for everyone and every situation.

• Marleen April 23, 2020 / 5:17 pm

Good thinking, often not considered.

3. cagedunn April 22, 2020 / 4:31 pm

A coupla chances. The first time could be a mistake, the second time shows a habit, the third time is the time to walk away.
    It’s a choice they make to be or do that thing, it’s mine to not accept abuse in any of its forms. Should I let a person steal from me over and over again and forgive them each time? The consequences for both sides of that equation is abuse, of trust, of friendship, of connection.

• Fandango April 22, 2020 / 10:48 pm

You’re generous to give someone a third opportunity to screw you over. For me, two times is the max, and then I hate myself for even giving the second chance when it happens a third time.

4. Marleen April 23, 2020 / 1:28 am

This is a really tough question. The answer can be 7X77 or something like “when someone shows you who they are, believe’m the first time.”

One of your other posting readers had a good answer as to not making someone take you up on the forgiveness. I’ll go back and see who that was.

And here’s a whole different approach: https://www.last.fm/music/Bill+Withers/_/Use+Me
    (This one has an excellent video included.)