Who Won The Week? 04/19/2020

10CC3057-4EEA-4C80-B8C1-700C0FC6C906It’s time for another Who Won the Week prompt. The idea behind Who Won the Week is for you to select who (or what) you think “won” this past week. Your selection can be anyone or anything — politicians, celebrities, athletes, authors, bloggers, your friends or family members, books, movies, TV shows, businesses, organizations, whatever.

I will be posting this prompt on Sunday mornings (my time). If you want to participate, write your own post designating who you think won the week and why you think they deserve your nod. Then link back to this post and tag you post with FWWTW.

This week I’m going to designate Zoom as The Who Won the Week recipient.7687F419-52D6-4106-A80C-ACA22B249582Zoom is a videoconferencing service that was originally created for corporate webinars and meetings. But since the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic, it has grown into something more. It has become a must-have for nearly every kind of social function, including happy hours, yoga sessions, school classes, funeral services, as well as Easter and Passover rituals.

I first learned of Zoom last month when our son invited my wife and me to a virtual baby shower for his very pregnant wife. I got an email invitation that had a Zoom link embedded in it. I immediately texted him.

Me: What is Zoom?

My son: It’s a video conferencing utility that allows multiple people to get on a video chat call.

Me: Oh, like Webex?

My son: OK Boomer.

I put my son’s ageist insult aside and downloaded Zoom to my laptop and iPhone, and have since participated in at least a dozen Zoom meetings: the aforementioned baby shower, two birthday celebrations, and weekly Zoom video calls with our kids. We’ve even figured out a way to use Zoom coupled with some multiplayer games we’ve all downloaded to our smartphones to have some friendly and competitive six-player online game playing.

So hats off to the internet, web technologies, and Zoom for making our stay-at-home lockdowns a bit more tolerable by bringing us together, at least virtually.

And now it’s your turn, folks. Who (or what) do you think won the week?

15 thoughts on “Who Won The Week? 04/19/2020

1. rugby843 April 19, 2020 / 11:15 am

I would say Dr. Fauci. Even though he is under tremendous pressure, he’s sticking to his guns as much as possible.

Sent from my iPad

• Fandango April 19, 2020 / 10:33 pm

Thanks for the article. So far I haven’t experienced any Zoom bombing. I don’t think there’s anything interesting enough for anyone to want to infiltrate any of the Zoom videoconferences I’ve participated in.

• Stroke Survivor UK April 19, 2020 / 11:23 pm

I’ve never installed it, so haven’t really checked it out. Nobody ever asked me to be part of a Zoom teleconference, so it never came up. But I remembered seeing this article. Tha Guardian is generally pretty good, so straight away, I’m wary of it. But I’m not going to nthink about it too hard until somebody asks me to join in.
        Interesting though because all this teleconferencing tech is one reason I think that things will never go completely back to how they were. Wasn’t it on your fowc that somebody posted their church had four times as many people watching its services? They’re never gonna give that up.

• Fandango April 20, 2020 / 7:21 am

I think it will be a long time before things go back to “normal,” but eventually it will when this pandemic passes because people have such short memories.

2. myrattledcage April 19, 2020 / 4:22 pm

Another way that Zoom has contributed in a positive way is that, as all face to face meetings of support groups for those suffering form alcoholism, addictions to other substances, mental health issues and any number of societal ills, Zoom has allowed millions across the globe continue their recovery through smaller meetings.

Zoom is an additional tool in the toolbox for anyone in recovery!!!

• Marleen April 21, 2020 / 3:17 pm

👍🏻

3. leigha66 April 20, 2020 / 10:20 pm

Good choice for the winner of the week. I like the way some bands have been using it to do songs or virtual concerts.

4. Marleen April 21, 2020 / 3:21 pm