How Life Has Changed

There was an interesting graphic in my local newspaper this morning. I hope you can read it.6A75F809-4B0B-4CDF-8D56-33E53184CA76I thought I’d highlight what I considered to be some of the more interesting statistics.

22 million unemployment claims filed in the U.S. since March 13, which is almost as many as the 22.8 million jobs that had been gained in the U.S. since 2010.

15.4% of Americans are predicted to be living in poverty by year’s end.

76.8% of Americans polled say that their sleep has been affected.

55% increase in alcohol sales year over year in the third week of March.

17.2 million downloads of the Zoom videoconferencing app from Feb. 22 to March 22, up 1,270%. (See my Who Won the Week post from earlier today.)

$426.75, the record-high per share price of Netflix stock Wednesday (4/15), up 33% in 2020.

35% year-over-year percent increase in spending on Amazon.com in last half of March and $1.1 trillion, the market capitalization of Amazon.com, with record per share price of $2,283.32.

$1.4 billion in spending in the U.S. on toilet paper for the month ending April 7, a 102% increase from the same period in 2019, along with a 40% increase in daily average home use of toilet paper due to shelter-in-place.

1,000 bidets sold on Amazon.com per day in mid-March by maker Brondell, about one every two minutes.

1.9 million in U.S. firearm sales in March, second-highest month on record.

And while this wasn’t on the graphic above, according to Donald Trump, his “decisive measures” with respect to the coronavirus have saved billions of American lives, despite the fact that the entire population of the U.S. is just 330 million.

Trump made his outlandish billions claim at his press briefing yesterday. Based on some worst-case models, the Covid-19 death toll in the U.S. was predicted to reach 100,000 to 220,000. “I really believe it could have been billions of people [who died] had we not done what we did,” Trump said, adding, “We made a lot of good decisions.”

We have a total asshole leading out country.

18 thoughts on “How Life Has Changed

1. pendantry April 19, 2020 / 12:32 pm

The man can’t count. He doesn’t count. Hopefully at the next election, the count will prove this….

2. rugby843 April 19, 2020 / 12:47 pm

I was most interested in firearm sales, scary and your last statement a fact.

• Fandango April 19, 2020 / 10:37 pm

Fanatical Trump supporters are armed and dangerous.

• rugby843 April 20, 2020 / 9:19 am

When I wrote about protest I was not talking about getting things opened again. I think that’s a big mistake. I wish I had made that clear 🙄🤐

3. Paula Light April 19, 2020 / 1:55 pm

I wish Donald would spend a few days on the crowded Florida beach hanging with his Republican supporters. He certainly needs a break from all his hard self congrats.

• Fandango April 19, 2020 / 10:40 pm

Right. And he needs to take a deep breath, literally, while he’s out on that crowded Florida beach.

4. Marleen April 19, 2020 / 2:31 pm

He’s made this kind of claim — arithmetically or numerically impossible — long ago… in regard to other matters. He doesn’t care at all to even learn or listen… or can’t. He can’t because he’s too stupid or because he’s an asshole (as you say) and can’t process the facts as pertinent. OR (and/or) he does this ON PURPOSE, to stick it in the eye of people who can’t help themselves.

[And especially those who support him.]

5. leigha66 April 20, 2020 / 10:37 pm

There is one good point I can find in this… he did use the word we instead of I this time in the decision making process. Those stats are scary!