A Call for Violence

The President of the United States is openly calling for an armed insurrection in his own country. He tweeted these this morning.7AEBF4C0-431B-49D5-B685-D36E8EF775DEThese tweets clearly are meant to encourage protests against stay-at-home orders in 2020 election battleground states with Democratic governors, appearing to try to take advantage of public restlessness amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Trump’s tweets have pushed many online extremist communities to speculate that he is blatantly pushing for armed conflict, an event they’ve termed “the boogaloo,” for which many far-right activists have been gearing up and advocating since last year.

“Boogaloo” is a term used by extremists to refer to an armed insurrection, a shortened version of “Civil War 2: Electric Boogaloo,” which was coined on the extremist message board 4chan and has been embraced by QAnon, a far-right conspiracy organization claiming there is a supposed secret plot by an alleged “deep state” against Trump.

I’m sorry, folks, if you think I’m sounding like the little boy who cried wolf, but I’m telling you again that the American democracy is dead. This is not a flash fiction post. I think it’s unlikely that there will be a free and fair election in November. And if, by some miracle, there is an election at all, and Trump loses, he will not slink off quietly into the night.

His unhinged tweets today calling for people to “liberate” states will only be the beginning and they will get worse and it will ultimately lead to violence.

Putin is, no doubt, licking his chops as America disintegrates from within and the American “Electric Boogaloo” gets underway.

23 thoughts on “A Call for Violence

1. amoralegria April 17, 2020 / 4:56 pm

I hope you are wrong, but I know you may be right. I’m hoping that this pandemic will convince enough people of the importance of democratic institutions working correctly. It is more than evident that Trump is not a leader – he has no idea how to handle this crisis, which is why he gave it to Pence. We states are like 50 countries right now, but alliances are being made. If our democracy were healthy, people would have the information and the ability to make better choices. A guy like Trump could only be elected when our democracy is in serious trouble, where people are not even seeing the same reality. Trump is a symptom of our flaws. But we do have a chance to fix it. I wish Biden weren’t the presumptive Democratic nominee, but since he is, we all need to rally behind him. One thing that I can say is that he cares about people. He is kind. A group of organizations composed mostly of people 45 and under have written him a letter stating their demands if they are going to vote for him – WAY over the top but some of it, an important part of it, is doable. This is our only chance to salvage our democracy. If Trump gets reelected, ………… well, we just can’t allow it to happen!

• Fandango April 17, 2020 / 11:17 pm

“I wish Biden weren’t the presumptive Democratic nominee, but since he is, we all need to rally behind him.” I feel exactly the same way!

• Fandango April 17, 2020 / 11:18 pm

I am so angry and so frustrated and so heartbroken about what has happened to our country.

2. Paula Light April 17, 2020 / 5:38 pm

This was Bannon’s dream all along and what he planned for. I hope people haven’t forgotten about him because it was his evil genius that spun this web.

• Fandango April 17, 2020 / 11:19 pm

You’re right. He wanted to create this chaos.

• Fandango April 17, 2020 / 11:21 pm

The Republicans in the Congress could, but they seem to be quite pleased with Trump.

3. rugby843 April 17, 2020 / 6:23 pm

I agree and I think posting these ideas is a good way to sound the alarm, so to speak. We all need to keep trying.

4. slmret April 17, 2020 / 9:19 pm

I wonder if an armed insurrection might occur after the election if a) Trump wins, or b) there is no election at all.

• Fandango April 17, 2020 / 11:29 pm

I think we’ll all need to buckle up because we’re going to be going on a rough ride no matter what happens in November.

5. Stroke Survivor UK April 17, 2020 / 11:22 pm

Trump should’ve built his wall around those states instead. Then they could do as they wish without affecting anybody else. The numbers would determine whether he was right or wrong.

6. SueW April 18, 2020 / 12:42 am

You are so right.

I along with the rest of the world, listened to Trump, and I read his tweets with absolute horror and disbelief.

What a disgusting excuse for a man. Not only has he given violence permission to run amok, he’s written the Covid-19 death certificate of many thousands more.

I am so sorry for your country and my heart reaches out to each of you.

• Fandango April 18, 2020 / 7:34 am

Thank you. He truly is a despicable human being and is going to go down in history as the most incompetent president in U.S. history.

• SueW April 18, 2020 / 7:51 am

I’m sure he will, not to mention the Republican Party, its cowardice and reluctance to put a halt to Trump’s out of control behaviour has done it no favours. But I’m certain that you will come out the other side of this nightmare even stronger for having lived and survived through the the ugliness and stench of the Trump administration.

7. Chris Hall April 18, 2020 / 6:07 am

Listening from afar, I’m also appalled and angered by Trump and his arrogant stupidity.
    We thought Jacob Zuma was bad. May things not be so dreadful as we fear.

8. Melanie B Cee April 18, 2020 / 1:16 pm

What the F*CK? Isn’t there anyone who will find a way to shoot that moron in the face? My God. At least someone who can effectively silence that idiot. (sorry. that wound me up something fierce!) 😡