Fandango’s Provocative Question #65

FPQWelcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

As I write this, there are around two million COVID-19 cases and almost 127,000 deaths worldwide. In the United States alone there more than 614,000 cases and more than 26,000 deaths, far more COVID-19 cases and deaths than any other country.

Donald Trump, despite strong objections from the medical profession and health care experts, is ready to “open up America” for business by the beginning of May. When asked what metrics he is using to justify his decision, he literally pointed to his head and said “the metrics right here.”741906D2-CB5C-434C-AF34-4F11D2F70C51Trump believes that, as president, he has the absolute authority to end social distancing and to tell people to return to work and to have stores and restaurants reopen for shopping and for eat-in dining.

Meanwhile, the governor California, my state, said on Monday that he has been developing a framework for the past week with the governors of Oregon and Washington that will allow the three states to incrementally reopen their economies as the spread of the virus appears to slow.

Their plan, the California governor said, “will be driven by facts, evidence, and public health advisers,” not by the metrics inside of Donald Trump’s head.

My provocative question today is a three parter.

Are you currently living in an area where there are stay-at-home orders? If so, do you think that it is wise and safe to lift the stay-at-home orders as early as May 1st? How soon after such stay-at-home orders are relaxed will you discard “social distancing” practices and return to the same social behaviors you exercised before this pandemic changed the way we live?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

28 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #65

1. pensitivity101 April 15, 2020 / 5:42 am

I won’t do a post on this Fandango, but believe that to lift the lockdown and restrictions too early will simply speed up a second wave of infection. Where we are in the UK people are accepting the situation and staying at home. There will always be a minority that think it’s OK to disregard these precautions, some even pushing the boundaries of social distancing. We can still walk the dog and fellow dog walkers respect our space as much as we respect theirs. Life will never be as it was after all this, but IMO it is the money men pushing to lift restrictions as they are ruled by their bank balances rather than common sense.

• ruddjr April 15, 2020 / 5:49 am

I agree. Anyone that has investments has seen their portfolio drop considerably. I saw someone on the news say that starting the economy back up is not like flipping a switch we have to do it slowly. In Ontario we are expected to stay home until the middle of May but it could be into June.

• pensitivity101 April 15, 2020 / 5:59 am

We don’t anticipate much change for the next few months over here in the UK, but then our airports, ports and the Tunnel are still open so people are still coming in. Our town is full of small businesses that rely on the holiday trade and we are sure that many will fold. Recovery will be a long process, but better a long process than no-one left to carry on.

• Fandango April 15, 2020 / 7:09 am

“it is the money men pushing to lift restrictions….” Yes, I agree.

2. newepicauthor April 15, 2020 / 6:00 am

Florida’s Republican Governor Desantis has got his tongue stuck up Trump’s butt and he is lifting the stay at home on May 1st.

3. Christine Bolton April 15, 2020 / 10:29 am

I might be wrong but I am taking a wild guess that just by walking through the grocery store I can bet on who are the democrats and who are the republicans. The Dems wear masks and the Republicans do not. These arrogant, selfish people who refuse to take this seriously are watching Fox News who in turn is pumping out the propaganda of fake news and a statistic that more have died from H1N1 that Covid19, and they believe it.

4. Paula Light April 15, 2020 / 10:45 am

I don’t want to do a whole post on this either. I agree with Di up there. Too soon would be bad news. Gov Newsom seems to have a smart plan to ease back to “normal,” which won’t really be like it was but more like putting a dark room on a dimmer switch (his analogy). Personally, I’m eager to return to work full-time in my office, but it’s a small office with careful people. I want to visit my family again in Los Angeles. Not sure about flying to NorCal anytime soon tho to see my other daughter. As far as friends, restaurants, game nights? Those are all low-priorities and I don’t expect to get back to them anytime soon. Maybe in the fall…

5. rugby843 April 15, 2020 / 11:22 am

My hope is that we learn something from this as far as saving our earth is concerned. It is a warning that needs to be heeded as we see how the reduction of traveling is cutting pollution, etc. We don’t need it “all”. We can survive without the biggest and best of everything. Surely this is a lesson for everyone. Trump will probably survive this and be re-elected. It’s too much to ask that even the most ignorant people who support him see how he’s hurting us all. But he’s said being president gives him the power to do anything he wants and he proves it everyday.

Sent from my iPad

6. lavenderandlevity April 15, 2020 / 11:58 am

I think I effectively have *already* written my response post in the form of my most recent blog post. Also, the U.S. needs to get with the rest of the impacted world and give us healthcare and an economic safety net during social distancing as well.

7. Marleen April 15, 2020 / 12:49 pm

I am in a state where the governor seriously recommends staying home (I don’t think it’s an order backed by arrests). People are being cooperative; I include going for a walk while distancing smartly cooperative. I believe there are orders against “public gatherings” to draw groups over ten and fifty (haven’t looked into whether the difference is simply time — that the fifty came first and ten came later like in a nearby city that put such orders in place before the states — or if it’s definitional). I would think this is about places like symphony halls and mega churches (or medium churches too), not against plain old family reunions… although I don’t know what is happening about funerals and weddings. I had already begun staying home, though.

I had an easy “out” when my mother wanted to have a priest (Catholic) visit my house — for who knows what crazy reason other than to annoy me or feed her ego. He was going to be in town for a funeral (within his own family). My mother hadn’t figured out, yet, that this Covid-19 thing is serious. Yeah, she favors Fox.+ However, her church isn’t having services now. Well… subsequent to canceling, they are putting some online. Of course, that doesn’t provide… I’ll shut up at this point so I don’t say something insulting. (I didn’t have negative feelings* about that organization all my life. My dad grew up in it and was a good person. But news about abuse, plus her joining and harassing me after HER being against the place all my life, has changed me.)

+ Yes, even over me. How many times had I already told her I’d obtained supplies and was avoiding contact and not opening the door while this pandemic was going on?

* Caveat: I had *learned* (mostly through my own motivation to look into such matters) negative facts, nevertheless, about the history. I don’t want to get into too much detail, but my effort was in the positive more than the negative (looking for some historical high point — which high points are mainly architectural, not at all theological and so forth… yet some Jewish people like to take hope from, erm, Vatican II, I suppose it is).

~

May first is most likely too soon, although we can observe and see if outbreaks disappear. There are Democrats who are tentatively going with early May (not the 1st). I will stick with distancing until we are able to observe no recurrence of outbreak upon loosening the rules. That is unless I can get a test that tells me I have immunity, and am not a carrier.

8. CARAMEL April 15, 2020 / 3:18 pm

I am not going to get involved in the political side of this, but as one of the big NHS team working ten to the dozen I will say this…we really do not know. This invisible enemy is more deadly and is spreading faster than anyone anticipated. I don’t attach blame to anyone for not foreseeing how bad this one would be. For most people it has been a mild illness. That would not raise the alarm for a long time. Its easy to look back in hindsight, or to say we should have looked at what was happening in China, Italy, Spain and acted more quickly. Maybe too much time was spent discussing the ifs and buts before restrictions were put in place. For our generation, I cannot think of another scenario where the government has been forced to throw the economy under a bus this way.

I think what may make it worse for the UK and the US is that we are perhaps not quite so submissive or accepting of extreme restrictions to our freedoms as some other lands. When I was watching the news, I was not surprised to see the measures taken in China, because of their rule being associated with a very firm hand. I was shocked at what happened in Lombardy and then the whole of Italy. I was shocked when I saw what happened in Spain (my parents were in Spain and were locked in their hotel). But I still do no think the restrictions in the UK have been as restrictive as those lands. There are lots of people out exercising and forming gigantic queues outside the supermarkets. As far as I am aware, the Italians were not allowed out to go running or for bike rides. Most people here seem to be using their common sense and keeping a distance. But I can see that sometimes people pass very close when walking along cramped pavements or in very confined supermarkets.

I honestly do not envy the decision makers. Waging an invisible war in this way is something we are have not had to do in our times. Globalisation and ease of travel, big cities etc has given this virus a very easy ride. The measures taken to shut down non-essential areas the public normally flock, restaurants, leisure facilities and clothes stores etc – they have all been very important. Of course all of that has crippled the economy, but it’s been done. But what an enormous task. I don’t see how they can be sure they have broken the chain unless they put everyone in solitary confinement for a couple of weeks so that the virus cannot spread. No matter what laws are made and how strictly they are enforced. a lot of people are still determined to do what they want.

Here in the UK, the first measures was for over seventies to stay at home and ask other people to do shopping etc. But I see so many over seventies going out to do their own shopping, collect their own prescription medication and go for their exercise. It makes me sad, because I am seeing the suffering. But they are not making a political statement. They are expressing their right to self-determination I suppose. This week at work I met an 80 year old patient who had decided to travel across London by bus to us because he liked our practice better than his local one. He fine. He wanted to ask us a question that he could have asked over the phone. It made me sad to see that he is ignoring the direction that is for his protection. I truly do not believe his outlook is in any way politically motivated.

Although there have been some casualties amongst younger people, the vast majority are older or those with underlying health causes. I can see why there is a debate on letting younger people get back to work and back to “normal routine” in order to revive the economy.

I don’t have a strong opinion myself. I am seeing what the virus does. But I am also hearing the anxieties of people who think they will lose their business and have no choice but to lay off all of their staff.

What is legal is not always the best thing. I still don’t understand why smoking is legal. It’s a killer. But people will do what they want despite the warnings. How would it go down if we physically made it impossible for people to take any risks to their health? One way pavement systems? Ban all tobacco products? No kissing! Where would it end? So glad it is not my choice!

I will just honestly say that I do not envy those who have to make these decisions about when to implement changes. It’s a very heavy responsibility, and whether it was May, June or July or later – I think there would be a lot of angry people one way or the other, whoever was the person in power.

9. Taswegian1957 April 15, 2020 / 3:49 pm

Most Australian states are in various states of lockdown. Tasmania, as an island state, closed the borders to all but essential workers and a few other special circumstances. My part of the state has had a cluster of cases so all non-essential stores are closed giving people fewer excuses to go out. Over the Easter holiday, the police patrolled the roads stopping travellers to see where they were going. Some were turned back from visiting camping areas and fishing spots where they had planned to stay the weekend.
    It’s hard for Aussies to accept this level of interference in our lifestyle but most understand how important it is to isolate for the time being. Yes, it is bad for the economy and many people are out of work but better that than sick or dead.
    I think that when things are opened up again it will have to be done gradually. Otherwise, I imagine that you would get crowds of people out and about all at once before everything was properly up and running again. It could provoke the second wave of infection similar to what is starting to happen in some of the Asian countries where lockdown was eased.
    I think the beginning of May, just two weeks away is way too soon. I hope that we’ll see the lifting of some restrictions in the coming months but I think that we would all rather that it is done right than done fast.

• Fandango April 15, 2020 / 11:28 pm

Done right rather than done fast. Exactly!

10. Haunted Wordsmith April 15, 2020 / 7:13 pm

Our stay-at-home order was expanded today for another month. Local HD is expecting our peak the first week of May. Truthfully, aside from my son being out of school, not much has changed for us. We rarely went out anyways. Kansas has a D- in social distancing but we are staying below projected levels, so that’s a good thing.

• Fandango April 15, 2020 / 11:33 pm

Take your time, Marilyn. No rush!