Who Won The Week? 04/12/2020

10CC3057-4EEA-4C80-B8C1-700C0FC6C906It’s time for another Who Won the Week prompt. The idea behind Who Won the Week is for you to select who (or what) you think “won” this past week. Your selection can be anyone or anything — politicians, celebrities, athletes, authors, bloggers, your friends or family members, books, movies, TV shows, businesses, organizations, whatever.

I will be posting this prompt on Sunday mornings (my time). If you want to participate, write your own post designating who you think won the week and why you think they deserve your nod. Then link back to this post and tag you post with FWWTW.

This week I’m giving Mother Nature my coveted Who Won The Week award.7A14BFEE-329F-4153-901F-A9754A8AB397One piece of good news since this whole deadly pandemic started is that many states across the U.S. and countries around the globe have implemented lockdowns and shelter-in-place orders in response to the spread of COVID-19. The coronavirus pandemic is shutting down industrial activity and temporarily, at least, slashing air pollution levels around the world.

There has been a substantial drop in atmospheric nitrogen dioxide, a harmful substance emitted from burning fossil fuels for transportation and electricity generation. This has led to significant reductions in air pollution over major metropolitan areas.

Simply put, fewer cars on the road and fewer airplanes overhead means fewer pollutants fouling the air. And to me, this is encouraging news. If we can improve the quality of the air we breathe around the globe after just one month of limiting the volume of pollutants we humans spew into the atmosphere, imagine, if we put our minds to it, how we can save our planet for future generations.

And now it’s your turn, folks. Who (or what) do you think won the week?

Image credit: Martijn Schrijver at PantoneCanvas.

23 thoughts on “Who Won The Week? 04/12/2020

1. newepicauthor April 12, 2020 / 10:14 am

My car insurance company wrote me and said that I would get back about $150 on my policy, as with everyone being off the roads, they are paying out on less claims.

2. rugby843 April 12, 2020 / 10:59 am

Absolutely agree. I wish it would continue after the virus goes

Sent from my iPad

3. pensitivity101 April 12, 2020 / 11:01 am

Good post and observations. We have noticed a distinct improvement in air quality with less traffic on the road.

4. JT Twissel April 12, 2020 / 2:00 pm

I’m afraid we won’t have learnt our lesson. But yes, for once we get a picture of what could have been.

• Fandango April 12, 2020 / 5:46 pm

If Trump has his way, we’ll be back to destroying the planet in no time.

5. leigha66 April 13, 2020 / 6:36 pm

I would say food delivery services like Door Dash and Uber Eats. In the week my boyfriend has been off work the number of added restaurants added is quite high.

• Fandango April 13, 2020 / 11:02 pm

Yes, they’ve served a purpose in these days of staying at home.