One-Liner Wednesday — Patriotism and Stupidity

F07CD67C-B5D2-4CCB-82A0-D47856247E00

“When stupidity is considered patriotism, it is unsafe to be intelligent.”

American science fiction and popular science writer Isaac Asimov

Isaac Asimov, author of such classic books and series as the Robot Series, the Foundation Series, and the Galactic Empire Series, died in 1992. But with the quote above, he must have anticipated the political climate in 2020, where Donald Trump and his Republican sycophants apparently believe that it’s patriotic to be blindly loyal to one of the most moronic, incompetent, and downright stupid presidents the United States has ever seen.

Written for today’s One-Liner Wednesday prompt from Linda G. Hill.

9 thoughts on “One-Liner Wednesday — Patriotism and Stupidity

1. newepicauthor April 8, 2020 / 9:34 am

I started reading the Foundation Series, but I quit because I had to keep on going back to reread certain parts and that made me frustrated.

• Fandango April 8, 2020 / 11:28 am

I enjoyed the Foundation Trilogy, but I didn’t like the rest of the series as much after that.

• Taswegian1957 April 8, 2020 / 3:39 pm

My late husband loved Asimov’s books and introduced me to the original Foundation Trilogy which I enjoyed very much. The original stories are better read in the right order but they are not as long as the later ones. I did read the later books but confess that I didn’t like them much as I felt that Asimov was tying himself in knots trying to connect up too many stories from his other books. I also felt that in some respects he was going back on what he had originally said. I wondered if those last books were more about the money but perhaps he had changed his views. Nevertheless, he was a clever and funny man although from what I have read I think he may have been rather annoying at times.

• Fandango April 8, 2020 / 9:56 pm

I think you nailed the reason I didn’t like his “Trilogy Extended,” as I called his later books, as much as I enjoyed the original trilogy.

2. Stroke Survivor UK April 8, 2020 / 10:29 am

I always thought that the word “patriot” was a nonsense anyway – anybody could claim that their action is patriotic. We should be very careful though now because “patriotic” might be interpreted as “support for the government”. Governments by their nature are political, so not everybody will support them. But that doesn’t make people unpatriotic.

3. Sadje April 8, 2020 / 10:54 am

This is so spot on for today’s environment