Why Trump and Republicans Love the Pandemic

8D9FF8F6-14EF-4EE8-B9A8-1BE377CC3F45While most of us have been focused on the coronavirus, Trump and his Republican enablers have been quietly changing the shape and future of America.

Trump is back to being a reality show host and is holding daily rallies from the White House, where he’s bragging about how great his ratings are — while Americans are dying.

Trump has been ramping up construction of his vanity project, the border wall, despite the fact that there are stay-at-home orders in the border states between the U.S. and Mexico.

The stock market is soaring — the Dow is up more than 2300 points this week — while COVID-19 cases and deaths continue to rise and unemployment applications are setting new records, highlighting the differences between the haves and have nots in this country as the rich get richer and the regular folks lose their jobs — and their health insurance.

Mitch McConnell, the Senate Majority leader, is continuing to pack the federal court system by nominating young, unqualified, ultra-conservative judges, which nominations the Republican senators will rubber stamp.

And speaking of the federal courts, in a 5-4 vote along ideological lines, the conservative justices on the Supreme Court sided with Republican state lawmakers in Wisconsin by halting a lower court order to extend absentee voting in that state’s primary election to April 13, a measure that would have expanded options for avoiding in-person voting amid the coronavirus pandemic.

This decision, at the urging of the GOP, will effectively disenfranchise tens of thousands of Wisconsin voters. And by requiring in-person voting when people should be staying at home, the Republicans would rather risk exposing more people to COVID-19 and risking their health, if not their lives, than permit more people to submit mail-in ballots.

But as Trump said this week of Democratic voting proposals in the face of the pandemic, “They had things, levels of voting that if you’d ever agreed to it, you’d never have a Republican elected in this country again.” Duh!

Yes, the coronavirus pandemic is the best thing that has happened to the Republican Party since 2016, when Trump lost the popular vote but won the White House.

35 thoughts on “Why Trump and Republicans Love the Pandemic

1. James Pyles April 7, 2020 / 12:38 pm

My wife and I have the grandkids since their Mom’s household may have been exposed to the coronavirus, so I don’t have time to do a lot of research on this. But given the various city and state lockdowns, this seems like a perfect time for municipalities such as San Francisco (or the whole state of California for that matter) to take advantage of the situation to further take away civil rights. Also, did Pelosi’s earmarks to stimulus (funding for the Kennedy center…really?) really save lives? https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamandrzejewski/2020/03/26/is-there-wasteful-spending-in-the-coronavirus-stimulus-bill/#1f02fd9360ae

Granted, Trump’s response was very slow, but frankly, he isn’t behaving any differently than he always behaves, so no surprises. However, the other side of the aisle isn’t covering themselves with glory either, they’re just posturing themselves as if they are.

• Marleen April 7, 2020 / 1:07 pm

The spending bill is among the things that has me nauseous when I think of it. One part that is okay is giving each individual some spending money. But it kinda seems like placating as opposed to really addressing what is going on. {On the other subject, I don’t think there’s any value in stoking a one-sided fear over the loss of civil rights.}

• Fandango April 7, 2020 / 11:28 pm

And I thought I was cynical. I’m glad that The San Francisco Bay Area and the state of California were early in imposing shelter-in-place and stay home mandates. As a result, the state (and particularly the Bay Area) have lower per capita coronavirus cases and deaths than most states…significantly lower, I might add, than Idaho.

• James Pyles April 8, 2020 / 6:21 am

That’s the conflict. Yes, the restrictions work, but what gets tagged on to them for the sake of political expediency and, when the crisis is over, will the civil liberties come back? Yes, that sounds paranoid, but it’s a long and historical tradition among governments. Remember the scene about the Romans and Caesar from “The Dark Knight?” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WfRcnF4iZI

• Marleen April 9, 2020 / 11:20 pm

Blahchh!

Trump’s New Slush Fund

2. Marleen April 7, 2020 / 12:57 pm

I had been watching (live) most of the time when the donald spoke, because I like to see first-hand the scenario (and not just reports of snippets later). But — starting Friday — it had gotten too disgusting for me to bear. Then, last night, I watched a late-night wrap-up of what he’d said since my previously paying attention. Jesus help us. I actually can’t think about, with enough concentration to reiterate (without being too upset), all the horrible things he does and says.* But one contrast that stood out was his impulse — and gall in opining onstage with regard for his idea — to send substantial help to Boris Johnson (like that dude doesn’t already have the best type of care available); while derisively saying he himself is part of the federal government, not among people to “stand on the corner” and make sure Americans have tests.

* And the problem isn’t just him. Scream.

3. Suze April 7, 2020 / 3:00 pm

they want people to die..they WANT them not to vote. covid is just a lovely new addition to the damned republican party.don’t believe me? ask Trump!

4. imagineambition April 7, 2020 / 6:52 pm

The scary thing? They created a state of fear, first. People are afraid to leave their homes. So those who would assemble, fight for their rights, etc. are just sitting back doing nothing because they are afraid of the invisible enemy that. Is making people sick.

5. Tatiana April 7, 2020 / 10:50 pm

All this crap and scam that happens in the US environment right now, is definitely helping him and his election in many ways. However, he’s not alone, but part of a whole plan meant to redefine the world economy and power… and it will last if we don’t raise our heads.

Do you want to hear a scientific insight on the truth about this “virus” from an honest medical point of view? Here it is: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/uk-pm-johnson-battling-coronavirus-set-for-second-night-in-intensive-care/ar-BB12fy1N

Let’s try to see the forest and not get blinded by the trees! 🙂

• Tatiana April 7, 2020 / 11:54 pm

Well, yesterday we saw the whole presentation. Now I see that they (youtube = google) cut a lot of it, especially the most important part 😦
        It is however explained here: https://youtu.be/LxSq_YJLbE8

• Marleen April 8, 2020 / 7:50 am

That guys starts out with an idea that could make a little sense. Then he keeps talking, like he’s in a fever dream.

• Marleen April 8, 2020 / 1:11 pm

What I Think COVID-19 Really Is or —

A Breakdown on Current Test…

Andrew Kaufman, M.D. (and psychiatrist)

I perceive Icke, himself, to be misrepresenting what is really being said by the people presenting medical information or thoughts or theories.

• Marleen April 8, 2020 / 1:14 pm

I found the following at one of the links, when the apparent main video wasn’t really available without a “cost” of some sort (either a fee or the sharing of personal information)… and this was lower on the page. However, what’s on the page seems to change; this isn’t there any more:

Questioning Conventional Wisdom in the COVID-19 Crisis, with Dr. Jay Bhattacharya

6. Marleen April 8, 2020 / 2:59 pm

This was the heading, where I couldn’t view the main video:

Physician utterly demolishes the ‘covid-19′ test’ and the very existence of the ‘virus’ – an absolutely must-watch

RICHARD *W*ILLE*T* 1 April 2020

I noticed there’s a whole investment aspect to this Icke fella…

No hypeinvest.con {I altered this so it’s not a link.}

I don’t know who remembers I mentioned that I went to a financial planner who boomed that he is “a god” [capital or lower-case “G” open to interpretation].

I am concerned that the very people who have been warning against globalism and elitism and all that (which can involve various definitions and sleight of hand) may be contributing to it (and I’ve been pretty sure of that generally for over ten years now in greater and greater awareness). I sat there and heard this guy go on about this and that. I was shaking (not visibly) by the time I left his office (and I ended my connection to him). There are two specifics I remember right now, to share. One: I said to him that I thought Trump was going to ruin our country. He (a big fan of Trump) said, “Yes, but I have a feeling you think that’s a bad thing.” He went on and on about this and that. Two: I mentioned possibly investing in 5 g (I had a company name at the time, and time has shown it would’ve been a profitable decision.); he spoke of the new technology in a similar way as this Icke person does, and was negative about it — but wanted what David and Alex are describing as the intent. (He also botched what I was there for in the first place, and someone else had to follow through as I insisted.)

Quarantirann*y* – The cure is worse than the *d*isease (David Icke & Ale*x* *J*one*s* – 2020.03.26)

7. Marleen April 8, 2020 / 11:21 pm

Even Right Wing Think Tanks … (w/ Marc Scribner of Competitive Enterprise Institute)

“Nothing that the … president, Trump, did is going to increase that number of [those] ventilators.”

8. Maddie June 17, 2020 / 11:45 am

interesting post! please check out my recent post regarding one of trumps recent actions!

9. stacielh June 29, 2020 / 9:51 pm

I am a Republican and none of the Repulicans I know think Covid-19 is any kind of advantage and many are losing their small business and have lost jobs or are in danger of losing their job if they don’t wear a mask OUTSIDE working in the HEAT for 12 hours a day, 6 or 7 days a week. These are Repulicans I know. 😦 I hope this lets you know a different view of Republicans. The only reason most Republicans are against mail in voting is because there is more chance of fraud. It is a perfect set-up for a fraudulent election. Not because we wish people to get sick. Trump is not my favorite “person”, but he is not a politician and for that, I’m glad. He is not perfect, but one of his goals was to “drain the swamp” and for that, I voted for him. He is not even taking salary for being President and has a huge swamp to drain. Have you seen Judy Mikovits? She has inside information on what is beneath this whole thing and is worth listening to…truly listening to.

• Fandango June 29, 2020 / 11:23 pm

“The only reason most Republicans are against mail in voting is because there is more chance of fraud.” The fact is that there are just a minuscule number of instances of fraud related to mail-in ballots. This is just another lie being promulgated by Trump and the GOP to suppress the vote because the only way Republicans can win elections anymore is by depressing voter turnout. It’s also a way for Trump to set the stage for claiming, when he loses in November, that the election was rigged or that he lost because of voter fraud.

As far as “draining the swamp,” he IS the swamp, and he has surrounded himself with the worst swamp creatures imaginable.

Judy Mikovits is a former research scientist who is known for her discredited medical claims, for her anti-vaccine activism, promotion of conspiracy theories, and scientific misconduct. Given her dubious credentials, I’m not interested in hearing her “inside information.” But perhaps you might want to give Rachel Maddow a try.

By the way, I have a post scheduled for early tomorrow (Tuesday) morning. You might want to check it out.

• stacielh June 29, 2020 / 11:34 pm

I will look up Rachel Maddow because I am willing to learn about others and want truth, even when at times, it will be against what I have believed in the past. Again, please stop lumping all Republicans in your hated group. We don’t want fraud. We don’t think Trump is a squeaky clean person either, but Hillary Clinton should be in prison for Benghazi. She is a democrat who was sneaky and crooked and a criminal, but I don’t lump you into that category just because you are a democrat. Judy Mikovits, if she was lying, why has she not been sued for slander? She was fired because she discovered contaminants in vaccines and Fauci wanted it erased, gone, the evidence, that is, not the contamination. I am not sure why you assume she is not telling the truth and why you would not consider what she says could possibly be true (given the history of our pharmaceutical industry and sneaky harmful experiments on citizens unaware). I will read your post tomorrow.

• Fandango June 29, 2020 / 11:55 pm

I don’t lump all Republicans together. Just those who support Trump. So 80-90% of Republicans. Hillary was a lousy candidate, but she would have been a far better president than Trump. I think, based upon your two comments and your suggestion that Hillary should be in prison for Benghazi, you watch too much Fox News. Watching Fox News can cause brain damage.

• stacielh June 30, 2020 / 10:03 am

I don’t watch Fox News at all, actually. I watched a little of Rachel Maddow last night and I see she is a big advocate in the battle against AIDS. You should watch Judy Mikovits then, because she was involved in AIDS research and discovered some horrible truths about Fauci and our government regarding AIDS.

• Marleen June 30, 2020 / 12:41 pm

Don’t forget the other ways to get the same brain damaging “information” — like OANN OR The Blaze or Drudge or Alex Jones, Icke, or…

• Fandango June 30, 2020 / 2:36 pm

True. Plenty of biased sources.