The Before Times and the After Times

CDB77FB9-BC64-4E27-B9B0-FF54EB94DD93I wonder if, at some point in the future, historians will use “BC” and “AC” to refer to “Before COVID-19” and “After COVID-19.”

My blog buddy, Rory, over at A Guy Called Bloke, posed two interesting questions today.

Who will you be after C19 Lockdown?

Will your old life still be your new life?

So who will I be in the “After Times” once this whole ordeal is over? I will still be me, but likely an even more cynical version of myself. I will be cynical when it comes to my belief that, when push comes to shove, our government and our leaders will rise to the occasion and will do everything they can do to protect the citizens of the country. In the face of this pandemic, Donald Trump and his administration have failed miserably to adequately recognize and respond to this health crisis. And what little they are doing seems to further demonstrate how inept they are at managing anything, much less an effective response to a pandemic.

Will my old life still be my new life? I hope so. That said, though, I will no longer take for granted that I live in the land of plenty and that I can run out to the grocery store and find a virtually unlimited supply of food and household good, including toilet paper, for crissake. I will not take for granted the ability to spend up close and personal time with family and friends, whether at their homes or at mine. I will no longer take for granted being able to go out to see a movie, a live show, or a concert.

I honestly never thought anything like this could happen in the United States in the 21st century. But it has. And we will all, in some way, large or small, be different in the after times.

19 thoughts on “The Before Times and the After Times

1. Sadje April 4, 2020 / 1:09 pm

I think you’re right. We will be different. How different, only time will tell.

2. rugby843 April 4, 2020 / 1:36 pm

Interesting. For myself life has not changed much. Other than not retrieving my mail I live life the same. I’ve been isolated for three weeks now except for a grocery delivery left at my door and taking the trash out, where I see no one. I miss seeing my grandkids but we Snapchat and text. Mostly miss their hugs🤗Stay safe.

Sent from my iPad

3. Stroke Survivor UK April 4, 2020 / 1:43 pm

Do you really think it is a seminal moment? I’m not sure. I think those of us who are living might regard it as such, but I wonder if future generations will?

• Fandango April 4, 2020 / 3:33 pm

I think it will be for some. But if this coronavirus thing goes away, I believe that a year from now, everyone and everything will pretty much be back to where it was in the Before Days, for better of for worse.

4. blindzanygirl April 4, 2020 / 2:42 pm

I, like you, Fandango, will be much more cynical, less trusting. My view of humanity will have changed, although I kind of knew about humanity even before this, my faith, if I ever really had any, will have either changed or gone completely. Though it was on the way out anyway (conventional faith I am referring to)I will be much much more aware of power systems, though I did have a deep awareness before. So maybe for me, things will just have become more exaggerated.

5. Marilyn Armstrong April 4, 2020 / 5:21 pm

You will be the same. I will be the same, give or take a few lies. But the people younger than us will NOT be the same. We are retired and closer to the end than the beginning. We are no longer in play as workers. It will not be the same world. It may take a while for the changes to fall into place, but they will. History lives in us. EVERY SINGLE MAJOR INTERNATIONAL DISASTER HAS RESULTED IN MASSIVE CHANGES TO CULTURE, SCIENCE, AND OUR WORLD. Every single one. Do you really believe we are exempt?

• Fandango April 4, 2020 / 11:17 pm

Well, we’ll see, I suppose. I just have a feeling that by the summer of 2021, especially if Trump is still around, the after effects of this pandemic will be absent from the everyday consciousness of most people. But what do I know?

6. MrsWayfarer April 4, 2020 / 5:44 pm

I would quietly ask my husband every once in a while – what will become of us after these challenging times. I hope we all learn and change. But I doubt it

• Fandango April 4, 2020 / 11:19 pm

Human nature being what it is, we probably won’t learn and won’t change. Unfortunately.

7. imagineambition April 4, 2020 / 8:01 pm

Good questions. I don’t trust the government at all… Everyone should keep a watchful eye so they can’t pull some super crazy act and turn us into a dictatorship or something.

• Fandango April 4, 2020 / 11:22 pm

It may be too late. We may already have gone beyond the fail safe.

• aguycalledbloke April 5, 2020 / 9:00 am

Very true – we are inches away from curfew here in the UK. Due to the selfishness of people, the government have said they are now thinking of banning outside activity. We were allowed an hours worth of outdoor activity – we have a garden here, so it’s easier but for many who don’t that was a blessing – however people abuse it.

Now, you are quite radical so l am sure when your mind hears this … your brain is not far behind thinking that if this happens – the so called democracy of the west will be lost. Do it once, it’ll become a trick they pull out of their hats whenever they wish. we will all become a herd of followers because we allowed them to take this libery with our freedom.

8. aguycalledbloke April 5, 2020 / 1:12 am

Morning Fandango, well done … your answer is as provocative as your question a couple of days ago and your small tale. The comments here cause reflection – Marilyn has it cracked on the dot too – she is canny and wise and sees it like it should be seen, as you do to my friend.

Whilst composting [yes an arduous task at best] you can think, worry, observe, mentally write and talk to yourself [yeah pretty much the lunatic behaviour] but you can seriously think on things and life as you watch a different life unfold beneath the prongs of the fork … C19 makes you think and hard and it should – because when it’s not killing people, it makes you think … who and what next?

Excellent comment and post, my thanks 🙂

• Fandango April 5, 2020 / 7:54 am

Thanks, Rory. I compost, too. I put all of my compostables in a green bin and my local trash company picks that green bin (along with the blue one for recyclables and the black one for land fill) every Tuesday morning.

9. Melanie B Cee April 5, 2020 / 10:15 am

Very well put Fandango. I noticed a shift in my own feeling of ‘the greatness and omnipotence of America’ after 9/11. This current mess we find ourselves in only underscores my unease and frankly, terror in what’s happening. I hope you find your feet and stay well and healthy. Our generation is one that is under particular attack right now. I’m still ‘young’ in terms of being ‘old’ but I’m just as scared as if I were 89 or 100. I hope never to see those ages btw. Seventy two (twelve years in the future) will be more than enough thanks. IF I survive. Who knows? This virus makes it more and more evident that life is a crap shoot. Emphasis on crap.

• Fandango April 5, 2020 / 10:59 pm

Well, I hope we’re all around 12 years from now so we can look back at this time and hope we learned something from this whole ordeal. I’ve learned that you can taking nothing in life for granted…including life itself.

10. leigha66 April 5, 2020 / 8:21 pm

I don’t think we can avoid being changed somewhat by this pandemic. I know it touched my circle too close for my comfort. A good friend just lost her aunt to the virus. The numbers alone should affect us all. Unfortunately there are too many people who don’t look past the end of their own noses.