A Message from God

A5259EB7-2ABE-40CC-812D-191CEB68E8C2The Hobby Lobby chain of craft stores was planning to stay open during the pandemic after the CEO’s wife received a message from God. In a letter to employees, CEO David Green explained that while the coronavirus pandemic is “certainly concerning,” God informed his wife, Barbara, last week that He will specifically protect Hobby Lobby and its employees and “groom us to be better than we could have ever thought possible.”

Well, either God had a change of heart or Barbara garbled God’s message to her. Seems that Hobby Lobby has now started closing its stores and laying off employees. In a letter to the terminated employees, one senior exec said, “It is with a tremendously broken heart that I’ve been forced to take these unimaginable actions, and I genuinely hope you know that my prayers are with you and your family.”

Hobby Lobby fired its employees by email. People lost their insurance and were offered no severance. David Green told the fired employees that, while he does not know what the future holds for the business, everyone will have to “tighten” their belts. He also stated that “God is in control” of the situation.

God and Trump…so in control, right?

33 thoughts on “A Message from God

1. RuthScribbles April 1, 2020 / 11:21 am

This is the first I’ve heard of the layoffs. Lots of diff stories going Round about hobby lobby-nasty billionaire!

2. blindzanygirl April 1, 2020 / 11:29 am

I WAS going to say Oh My GOD! But seriously, this is just ridiculous and AWFUL. I have met these types before – the God freaks I mean, and thet cause havoc wherever they go. They are cintraductory and if “God” doesn’t show up or do what they said he would do, then they find some other unbelievable story. I could tell you a few things!

But this is just terrible. To do it by email. And to make all those people lose their insurance! In THIS climate! I am beyond angry. Yeah, pray! Right!

I am so sorry to read abiut this Fandango. Bloody God dimwits!

3. Copy Chick April 1, 2020 / 11:50 am

I really hope Green does have good convos with God because he has some ‘splaining’ to do about his abysmal treatment of his employees. Anyone worth more than $6 billion should at least be able to show compassion, let alone take care of his employees who enabled him to MAKE that money. But then, I expect nothing more from Trump cronies, even in a time when you can prove if you have a soul or not.

4. Marilyn Armstrong April 1, 2020 / 12:20 pm

And THIS is why everything will change. You really think those people are going back to work at Hobby Lobby? Or all the restaurants closing? Are all those Broadway shows coming back? Are we all going back to buying a new car every three years?

5. Marleen April 1, 2020 / 1:02 pm

The “talk” for decades has been that obscenely rich people will be good people — and keep the deserving underlings on their feet — and that that’s why there should be no (or fewer and fewer) regulations (that reason and the imagined reason that “markets” are so perfect in determining economic justice). Employers are the gods (anywhere from effectively to metaphorically to mystically). And our policies have been complicit and neglectful for decades. What is going on now? Weren’t they deemed big enough (too big to fail) to warrant the “socialist” bailout just passed? Or did they personally deem the mechanisms too burdensome to be motivated for going through the efforts to access the funding? I thought the idea was to keep people on payrolls (even if they wouldn’t be going to work) so said employees could keep their health care insurance and buy food and so on. Individuals are going to get a one-time payout — via taxation contacts — of like $1200. How far will that go?

• Lolsy's Library April 2, 2020 / 5:02 am

We’ve been talking about this too in Australia. How for YEARS, people, like the Government. Have been saying that even on minimum wage, it was a living wage. They expect people to have savings so that if something like this happened, then they would have had money for months. Yet, within…what two weeks, maybe? Several of our biggest stores and businesses had to close down. Not because a staff member had the virus, but because within two weeks they had no more money. No one was coming in to buy anything. So if these big stores, where the CEO’S are getting over 100% pay rise each year are closing after two weeks, because they’ve gone bankrupt. How were the average citizens expected to have months worth of money saved up? HOPEFULLY, this will make people see things differently. That a living wage is literally for us to “live”, week to week, not a wage where you can be comfortable on. Definitely not a wage where you can live on it for months.

• Marleen April 2, 2020 / 2:50 pm

I said: … (that reason and the imagined reason that “markets” are so perfect in determining economic justice). [Individuals with more money] are the gods (anywhere from effectively to metaphorically to mystically). And our policies have been complicit and neglectful ….

I have to state, here, that there are people who don’t really claim it’s metaphorical or anything in a gradient like that (as off-base as even that often {or always} already is). I met with a financial planner who sat there and said, in front of me, booming: “I am a god!” (I’m assuming the lower-case “g” — but who knows. I am not infrequently stunned by the crap people go for and propagate.) There’s Kenneth Copeland and so many like him, or variations on a theme. And there’s the tolerance for them, as supposed fellows (no doubt we tolerate their existence — but we should not ”embrace” them for or with their exuberance).

6. XingfuMama April 1, 2020 / 3:45 pm

I’ve been avoiding Hobby Lobby based on their politics and practices for a long time now. “

• Marleen April 1, 2020 / 3:47 pm

Would you say their main competitor is Michael’s?

• XingfuMama April 1, 2020 / 4:11 pm

And JoAnne’s. I tend to shop at JoAnne’s because I sew and they have fabrics. But I have to confess that losing my business isn’t losing very much business.

7. Bill April 1, 2020 / 3:56 pm

Interesting. I did the curbside pickup thingy with Michael’s (the competitor) the other day. Not sure Hobby Lobby had what I wanted. When I parked, I realized that the store was open for business as usual (so was Office Depot next store). They brought my stuff and tossed it into the trunk.
    Then, after I got home I realized that the employee selecting my products picked the worst they could find in the store. Since one was broken, I called to return. No curbside for returns/exchanges or poor product selections. I had to go into the store, stand in line, and too close to the staff. I’ll stick to mail order from now on. Prolly neither of these big box crafty stores. They’re all so full of shite.

• Marleen April 1, 2020 / 5:02 pm

Since Hobby Lobby sells some books, I went into Hobby Lobby with a book to have inscribed on the front with someone’s name (for a gift). It was done shabbily and crooked (on a fairly expensive — but under $100 — book), and they wouldn’t take responsibility.

• Bill April 1, 2020 / 6:47 pm

Shabby Lobby? We had issues with framing one time, but not sure it was HL. Might have been the other one.

• Marleen April 1, 2020 / 8:00 pm

For framing, I go to a local place that is only framing. I don’t remember the name.

8. James Pyles April 1, 2020 / 6:56 pm

Not sure what Trump has to do with this, but yes, the folks who run Hobby Lobby certainly messed up. I’ve always been dubious of people who say that “they had a word from the Lord,” and I say that as a Christian. In my experience, at least some believers mistake their internal emotional states as the “movement of the Holy Spirit,” when it’s actually wish fulfillment. I’m hoping you’re not painting all people of faith with a single, broad brush. Some of us aren’t complete idiots (relative to your opinion of me, of course).

• Marleen April 1, 2020 / 7:49 pm

Since somewhere in the (nineteen) eighties, I began to be suspicious of people who want to influence or condition or advertise their business or business behavior with me on their claim that they are Christian — or whether or not I am. I should’ve known better than to walk into [post of mine earlier] that hobby store for anything more than a pre-packaged item viewable on a shelf. I don’t say that about anyone who IS Christian… just the ones who make a “thing” of it in a business context. As for your surmising of what some Christians see as the Holy Spirit… it’s exasperating (that is, I’ve observed something* similar and a bit worse or more clearly polarized per se… and including recently).

* Sometimes it’s emotion and confusion, sometimes it’s emotion and stubbornness or wishfulness or undetected ego, sometimes it’s maybe not so much emotion (although we could philosophically discuss what emotion is it is not) and more manipulation or something sinister.

• Marleen April 1, 2020 / 7:58 pm

+ I suppose I should go ahead and state the “more clearly polarized” idea: it’s too common that not agreeing with the “confused” or wishful or sinister person is said to be doing the work of Satan.

• Marleen April 1, 2020 / 10:30 pm

Sorry, Fandango. I got really wordy. You wanna tell James what Trump has to do with it? Or shall I? I can keep “talking.” 😏

• Fandango April 1, 2020 / 10:50 pm

Feel free to elaborate, Marleen. But I thought the connection was pretty obvious. The CEO of Hobby Lobby said that God is in control of the situation. How many times has Trump claimed that he and his administration had the whole coronavirus “thing” under control?

• Marleen April 2, 2020 / 11:02 am

Yes. James said, sometime after the 2016 election (I’m pretty sure it was after), that he didn’t recall ever having heard Trump’s voice. So, the obvious wouldn’t be obvious.

Here is the voice, which is only a hint. Witnessing him real-time makes it all the more clear how perverse he is as a leader and even just a person.

It’s a commercial, but…
            that way, it doesn’t take long.

Trump has not only said he/the administration has things under control but that the pandemic (at least here, or who knows what he meant, if he was thinking anything through) will go away like a miracle — before spreading to many people. He is surrounded by nutcases (which is being charitable to call them that rather than charlatans, thieves, etc.) like Paula White (not sure if her last name, currently, is White-Cain) and Rodney Howard Brown and their ilk, and he knows his base is *evangelicals/charismatics/magical thinkers. Meanwhile, his own upbringing is also magical thinking, along the lines of Norman Vincent Peale. Think “positive” and create your world, is the idea. Reject facts that don’t sound good.

* As is often the case, there is a biblical word that is not bad (or is good), but that groupings of people have coopted and turned into something pretty monstrous.

• Fandango April 1, 2020 / 10:36 pm

No, I’m not painting all people of faith with a broad brush. Just those who say that God spoke to them or that they received a message from God.

9. imagineambition April 1, 2020 / 7:20 pm

The sad thing is that things like this makes the news and people think all Christians are crazy and careless. But it’s not a one size fits all kind of situation.

• Fandango April 1, 2020 / 10:40 pm

I realize that. It’s only those who claim that God spoke to them or sent them a message who are crazy and careless.

• imagineambition April 2, 2020 / 4:08 am

There are lots of Christian who get messages from God, but there’s a big difference between,
        “My family had been through a lot this year. Yesterday when I was out hiking, I prayed and I swear I just felt this peace like God said everything with be okay.”

And “I got a message from God last night. Drink this Kool-Aid and jump off the bridge when the comet comes.”

I’m thinking this store owner falls into the latter category.

• Marleen April 2, 2020 / 9:03 am

I might’ve been okay with the message,
        if they’d followed through on it.

They didn’t need to be the exception in being “better.”

10. leigha66 April 2, 2020 / 11:49 pm

How can you fire people by email? Have the courtesy of at least a phone call.