A is for Adage

A2Z2020You may recall that for the whole month of February I was posting my Fandango’s February Expression series.  Each day, for the entire month, I would post an old expression, saying, or adage that you were likely familiar with. Many of you seemed to enjoy that series of posts.

So, for this year’s A to Z Challenge I’m going to attempt to post an old adage each day of the month of April (except for Sundays). But what’s going to be different from my February challenge is that I’m going to go through the alphabet, with the first letter of the adage beginning with the first letter of the alphabet (A), and continuing for 26 adages in alphabetical order until I get through the entire alphabet — from A to Z.

I don’t know if it can be done, but I’m going to give it the old college try. Here’s my first adage and it starts with the letter A.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

26 thoughts on “A is for Adage

1. newepicauthor April 1, 2020 / 6:16 am

This adage is so perfect for the world that we are living in today with the social distancing and shelter in place restrictions as that is the only way to slow down this pandemic. It’s easier to stop something from happening in the first place than to repair the damage after it has happened. If only we didn’t have such a jerk for a president, a lot more lives could have been saved.

• Fandango April 1, 2020 / 8:58 am

Thanks to our “president,” the government is now predicting between 100,000 to 240,000 coronavirus deaths in a BEST CASE scenario.

• Marleen April 1, 2020 / 1:20 pm

We’ve surpassed the number of deaths in China.

• Marleen April 1, 2020 / 2:54 pm

Immediately after posting that, it occurred to me that I was half paying attention when I heard it. So, I started looking for specifics. Ideally, that would’ve occurred to me before I posted; oh, well. The closest I can find to what I said pertains to the whole world other than China (not the U.S. in particular)… and like two weeks ago. However, the U.S. seems to have the worst curve of cases, now, so far compared to all countries.

• Marleen April 1, 2020 / 6:35 pm

Okay, I found it. NBC, yesterday, reported 3,815 deaths identified as due to the novel coronavirus in the USA — and that this number is higher than what is said to be the number of these deaths in China.

• Fandango April 1, 2020 / 10:16 pm

Italy has had the most deaths, followed by Spain and then the United States. But the U.S. currently has the greatest number of active cases by far.

2. Marleen April 1, 2020 / 1:11 pm

Excellent adage… and… oh, dear… what a challenge for the month! I’m thinking it can’t be done… at least not without quite a lot of effort.

• Fandango April 1, 2020 / 7:25 pm

I will try to make the effort, but we shall see if I can succeed.

• Marleen April 2, 2020 / 11:27 am

Personal Protective Equipment has been in the news for weeks. Gloves, protective gowns, etcetera. There isn’t enough for our health workers. Then, on top of that, when the health workers are exposed, there aren’t even enough tests to check for their status (for their own sakes plus the sakes of others with whom they come in contact). Trump says he hasn’t heard about there not being tests available; he’s also said anyone who needs a test can have a test. (Of course, he’s said it’s only one person as well as that like fifteen people will go to zero.) He has demonstrated being clueless about our need to operationalize PPE too.

14 hr 36 min ago [I copies this maybe an hour ago.]

US to stop shipping PPE overseas amid growing shortages at home

From Kylie Atwood, Zachary Cohen, Nicole Gaouette and Jennifer Hansler

The Trump administration will no longer ship personal protective equipment to allies overseas as the United States grapples with shortages of critical medical supplies amid the coronavirus pandemic.

A congressional source told CNN Wednesday that they were informed late last Friday night that the coronavirus task force — led by Vice President Mike Pence — was stopping overseas shipments of the medical equipment and instead asking that the supplies be distributed within the US.

Asked about reports of the freeze on Wednesday, President Donald Trump said there was “no truth whatsoever” to them. However, minutes later, he noted that “whatever we have, whatever we’ve committed to, we commit,” but added “we also need a lot for ourselves.”

“Obviously we’re not going to be shipping too much,” he said during a White House briefing.

Politico was the first to report on the freeze. CNN has reached out to the State Department and US Agency for International Development (USAID) for comment.

3. Shweta Suresh April 6, 2020 / 6:24 am

Very very true and relevant. If only the Corona virus was managed before it got out of hand.