Share Your World — What’s In a Name?

Share Your WorldIt’s another Monday and that means it’s time for Melanie’s weekly Share Your World questions. So let’s give it a go.

Pancakes, waffles or French toast as your breakfast favorite?

Actually, none of those three options is my “favorite” breakfast, but if I had to choose one of the three, it would be pancakes.

Do you think a person’s name influences the person they become?

There have been a number of studies about the influence of a person’s name on who they become, but I think it’s all a bunch of mumbo-jumbo. You are who you are, regardless of what your name is. And with a name like Fandango, I should know!

Would things get better or worse if humans focused on what was going well rather than what’s going wrong?

Probably better, but then what would we have to complain about on Twitter?

Is math something that humans created or something we discovered? Is looking at reality mathematically an accurate representation of how things work?

I think math was created to intimidate students and to make them feel stupid. At least that’s my personal experience.

7 thoughts on “Share Your World — What’s In a Name?

1. Marilyn Armstrong March 30, 2020 / 10:09 am

I actually know more math NOW than I did in school, probably because now I need it. Back then, it was a mental exercise for people who were smarter than me.

• Melanie B Cee March 30, 2020 / 10:34 am

Interesting Marilyn! I’m a dip about math(s). I was then and I am now. At least I can make change and know if I’m being cheated about something. That’s good enough for me. Sorry to intrude on your comment to Fandango. O_o

2. Melanie B Cee March 30, 2020 / 10:36 am

Thanks for Sharing Your World, Fandango! I suppose with a name like that, you have a unique perspective on the whole name influence idea! 🙂 You’re a guy, so I was surprised at your answer to the math(s) question….In Utah (anyway) only girls were made to feel stupid at not ‘getting” the concepts of secondary math…. O_o

• Fandango March 30, 2020 / 1:59 pm

Although I love working with numbers, I have always found “higher mathematics” challenging.

3. newepicauthor March 30, 2020 / 10:47 am

If you are a guy and you are named Sue, you will end up becoming one tough son of a bitch.

4. Sadje March 30, 2020 / 11:08 am

You should know, with a name like fandango! 😂

5. Marleen March 30, 2020 / 12:14 pm

In a way, or to an extent, math is a discovery or grouping of discoveries. But it can be represented in different ways. (Like language is represented with different ways of speaking and otherwise conveying language — in multiple languages.) We use base ten, for example, when there could be other bases 12, 7, or anything else). We also could use the metric system, to go along with our base ten, but we don’t; I don’t remember what our measuring system is called. Ah, I looked it up… it’s the “imperial” system. There are aspects of financials which should not be permitted, as they aren’t moral — like calling it a financial “product” to bet against productivity for the good of people in the vein of a conflict of interests (and gain on the loss). The idea of companies, too, is an invention for mathematical rather than true accountability purposes.