Sunday Writing Prompt — Dear Diary

E1562735-14CB-434A-94A1-6CEB5A80D02CMarch 29, 2021

Dear Diary,

It’s been almost 15 months since the coronavirus plague ravaged the planet, killing more than seven billion souls, or 90% of humanity. Everyone I knew last year at this time — everyone most of us knew — succumbed to the virus. It’s been several months now since I last saw another human being, and she was almost dead. The animals have pretty much taken over the planet, running around, foraging, even feasting on the remains of human bodies. They must be immune. I must be immune, since I’m still alive.

I remember when this whole thing started and people treated it like it was the flu. Politicians and leaders were downplaying the virus, saying that it was the media that was blowing it out of proportion, telling us that the government had it under control and that it would miraculously disappear.

The religious nuts called it God’s curse on humanity’s sinful ways. But they’re all gone now too. God didn’t save the pious and now God is dead. Humanity is all but dead.

And soon I’ll be dead, too. I can’t go out anymore without risking being attacked by the coyotes, wild dogs, and wolves. There is little to no food left, no electricity, no heat. I’m not sure what good my immunity is doing if I starve or freeze to death or am devoured by hungry wild animals.

Well, Dear Diary, this may Very well be my last entry. Despite the danger, I’m going to venture out of the sanctuary of my home to replenish my supply of food and goods. If I’m successful, I’ll write again tonight. If not, well, at this point, does it really matter?

Written for the Mindlovemisery’s Menagerie Sunday Writing Prompt. The challenge is to write a diary/journal entry.

34 thoughts on “Sunday Writing Prompt — Dear Diary

• Fandango March 29, 2020 / 10:49 pm

I hope it’s not something anyone will be writing in their diaries a year from now.

1. newepicauthor March 29, 2020 / 4:24 pm

If you had described standing next to a half buried Statue of Liberty, I would think that you had landed on the Planet of the Apes.

2. slmret March 29, 2020 / 4:29 pm

I hope that a year from now you will be able to look back and reflect on the fear — no, panic — that this post indicates. I also hope that a year from now the people you know are still alive!

3. Taswegian1957 March 29, 2020 / 7:24 pm

This reminds me of the SF stories that my husband used to read, the ones from the forties, fifties and sixties. I sometimes feel like we’re living in an SF story now.

• Fandango March 29, 2020 / 11:01 pm

I wish it were science fiction instead of our current reality.

4. annieasksyou March 29, 2020 / 7:45 pm

What boosts your spirits, Fandango? Jack Daniels? Pot? Whatever—time to indulge yourself. You’re gonna be a grandpa, and you’ll see the wee one on Zoom or FaceTime, and by the summer you’ll be holding him. We WILL get through this!

You’ve got a large WP family who cares for you a lot, too!

• Fandango March 29, 2020 / 11:02 pm

Thanks, Annie. I think I’m going stir crazy!

• annieasksyou March 30, 2020 / 4:40 am

Are you taking walks? Even around your home? As long as you go out when very few people are around and avoid anyone coming near you, I think that’s ok.

I sometimes march in place for at least a half hour, watching something pleasurable on TV. I find exercise tremendously helpful and stress relieving.

• Fandango March 30, 2020 / 10:26 am

We have a dog that we walk four times a day and that’s how I manage to get my 10,000 daily steps! The poor dog doesn’t understand, though, why she can’t go play with the other dogs.

• annieasksyou March 30, 2020 / 11:14 am

Good—at least you’re getting exercise.

I wish I could forward this image to you but I can’t figure out how. It’s a picture of a man and small dog standing in their kitchen, looking up at a much bigger dog, who’s standing way up high above the cabinets. He’s saying: “No, I’M NOT COMING DOWN! I’ve been on 20 walks today. Leave me alone!!

5. Astrid March 30, 2020 / 1:05 am

Oh wow, this is so dark! I laughed at it, but maybe that’s my optimism, whether realistic or not, that we’ll get through this.

6. pensitivity101 March 30, 2020 / 8:44 am

It does feel like were living in the Twilight Zone. Who knows how long this will extend for. My guess is many months and life will not be the same as it was afterwards. A wake up call and then some….. but then for some they will not awake. Scary piece Fandango.

• Fandango March 30, 2020 / 10:33 am

Thanks. I was in a pretty dark mood when I wrote it.

7. leigha66 March 31, 2020 / 12:29 am

Wow, well written but scary as hell! I hope this proves to be complete fiction in a few months! Hope it helped to get it out of your system.

8. Scotty’s Keep April 4, 2020 / 8:35 pm

I was 25 and stationed in the West Indies. My tour was almost . I’d sold my car too early and I was getting about on a Dunalt bicycle. One night there was trouble on the flightline. We didn’t get the aircraft airborne until nearly 2 AM. I had six miles to ride home on the bike. Wild dogs got after me about a mile from the house. Wife heard the dogs and she knew they were chasing me. She opened the door for me. I beat them by about 20 seconds.

This memory had nothing to do with the virus. It had only relative to the wild dogs in the journal entry.

• Fandango April 4, 2020 / 11:24 pm

A close call. Good thing your wife was there to let you in before the wild dogs got to you!