SoCS — Beside Me

For today’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt, Linda G. Hill has asked us to “write about whatever is beside you when you read this prompt. Not when you sit down to write, but whatever is beside you right now.”

Well, it’s around 11 pm. I just got around to reading Linda’s prompt and I’m in bed. Beside me on my left is my wife. She just turned off the TV and she’s begging me to turn off my phone and go to sleep. But I told her that I need to finish this post first and schedule it to publish at 3 am.

Beside me on my right is my bedside night table, upon which is my bedside light, my bedside clock, my glasses, and my SNOOZ. What is a SNOOZ, you ask? It’s a white noise machine. Here’s a picture of it.D4C4ABCA-982D-411F-A1E9-B90345783A3AThe white noise it generates helps to counteract the constant ringing in my ears — even in my left ear, which I can’t hear out of since I had surgery to remove a growth from the middle ear at the end of December — from tinnitus. If it weren’t for the SNOOZ, my tinnitus would keep me up most of the night.

Okay, my wife is starting to get pissed, so I’d best wrap this up. But now you know what’s beside me.

16 thoughts on “SoCS — Beside Me

1. annieasksyou March 28, 2020 / 5:23 am

This is a bit forced, but when I read about your SNOOZ, it reminded me of ZOOM, which is now all the rage for people who are trying to overcome the isolation of social distancing. So a variation on what allows you your rest and solitude is the means for enabling lonely people to revitalize.

And I know that many people without tinnitus use white noise to help them sleep. So SNOOZ and ZOOM have become the yin and yang of contemporary life.

• Fandango March 28, 2020 / 9:45 am

My son was just talking about ZOOM and I told him when I was working we used WebEx for group meetings. His response was “Okay, Boomer.”

2. Sadje March 28, 2020 / 7:12 am

A white noise machine is good, even if you don’t have tinnitus.

3. stoner on a rollercoaster March 28, 2020 / 7:14 am

I listen to white noise in earphones, when I have to read or sleep in noisy environment. Didn’t know it could do more than that.

4. KC March 28, 2020 / 7:46 am

How do you cope during the day with tinnitus? I would think it would drive me nuts and I’d be more hard-of-hearing than I already am. Ugh.

• Fandango March 28, 2020 / 10:43 pm

I’ve had tinnitus for so long that after a while I almost forget that it’s there.

• KC March 29, 2020 / 5:33 am

Well, the noise machine is a good night time solution.

5. RuthScribbles March 28, 2020 / 8:24 am

Tinnitus is not fun. We run an air filter for white noise. Will you ever regain hearing in your one ear? Hope you slept good.

• Fandango March 28, 2020 / 10:46 pm

I will need surgery to implant a prosthetic bone in my middle ear and I was going to have that done in June. But now, with this whole coronavirus thing, it’s considered to be elective surgery, so who knows when I’ll be able to get it done.

6. Laura March 29, 2020 / 12:45 pm

I do like the sound of that SNOOZ. When we had our Echo in the bedroom I used to run white noise on it while I was falling asleep. Maybe we’ll look into something like this — I could use some help sleeping soundly these days.

7. leigha66 March 29, 2020 / 7:55 pm

Glad this can cut through your inner noise. I know someone who uses one too for sleeping and she says it really helps.