Who Won The Week? 03/22/2020

10CC3057-4EEA-4C80-B8C1-700C0FC6C906It’s time for another Who Won the Week prompt. The idea behind Who Won the Week is for you to select who (or what) you think “won” this past week. Your selection can be anyone or anything — politicians, celebrities, athletes, authors, bloggers, your friends or family members, books, movies, TV shows, businesses, organizations, whatever.

I will be posting this prompt on Sunday mornings (my time). If you want to participate, write your own post designating who you think won the week and why you think they deserve your nod. Then link back to this post and tag you post with FWWTW.

This week I am choosing guns.E9DB73AF-C8DA-4068-8FC7-4F6CE96A1E95Gun sellers across the country are reporting major spikes in firearm and bullet purchases as many Americans are flocking to local gun stores to stock up on firearms and ammunition in the face of the coronavirus pandemic. Gun dealers report that they are scrambling to keep up with demand.

Nonessential stores across the country are closing in order to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, but gun stores are still open. Apparently in America, licensed firearms retailers are essential businesses.

I’m not happy about this. As it is, the United States has, by far, the most heavily armed civilian population in the world, with more guns (120 firearms per 100 citizens).

Coincidentally, perhaps, there has been an uptick recently in grocery store and pharmacy parking lot gun point hold ups since this pandemic has taken hold.

So, it is with great reluctance and anxiety that I declare guns, gun manufacturers, and gun shops to have won the week.

And now it’s your turn, folks. Who (or what) do you think won the week?

39 thoughts on “Who Won The Week? 03/22/2020

1. Lisa Coleman March 22, 2020 / 10:00 am

This is totally zombie invasionesk. I don’t have a lot of ammo on hand, but I’m not worried either. I’m also not trying to go and buy more. If I can’t stave off looters or robbers with what I have, I’m dead anyway. Craziness!

2. Stroke Survivor UK March 22, 2020 / 10:21 am

It does kinda make you see one way this plays out. Armed guards in grocery stores to make sure you get to your car safely. I’m not gonna post one today, buddy. I posted 3 already today but one of them, at least, was your fowc.

3. Jen Goldie March 22, 2020 / 10:50 am

Am I living in the only country that resists and bans guns?
    I have to disinfect my fingers now. But not only because of the virus. It because I typed the word “GUNS” 😌

4. annieasksyou March 22, 2020 / 11:10 am

As I struggle to mindfully maintain my calm amid the increasingly dystopian environment, I shall simply banish from my mind your added evidence. Well-armed people squared-off in battle over a couple of rolls of toilet paper is not an image I care to hold on to.

• Fandango March 22, 2020 / 11:17 pm

I know. It’s a sickness that has infected us that is almost as bad as the virus itself.

• Fandango March 22, 2020 / 11:20 pm

I can understand those who buy handguns for self defense or personal protection. But military-style semiautomatic assault rifles? No way!

• Fandango March 23, 2020 / 10:27 pm

Personally I agree. And dogs are loyal and love you unconditionally. Not so with guns! 😉

• Marleen March 24, 2020 / 9:48 am

Yeah, I think it really would not be a good time for that in a number of ways. I heard a nurse from the home that had so many infections in Washington (state), last night, say that a symptom that hasn’t been reported but which she saw in ever patient was red eyes.

• Fandango March 24, 2020 / 9:55 am

Yeah, I’m sure my second ear surgery will be postponed as well.

5. CARAMEL March 22, 2020 / 11:36 am

I have to admit…this is one reason why I am glad not to live in the US. It scares me to think of what could happen.
    I think the NHS won the week this week. They are knocking it out of the ballpark. And thanks to Costa Coffee who are offering free coffees to NHS staff.
    Thanks to everyone washing their hands and self-isolating – so so so grateful!!!

• Fandango March 22, 2020 / 11:23 pm

I agree that having all these guns in the hands of civilians is pure lunacy and very scary.

6. anotherday2paradise March 22, 2020 / 11:49 am

Okay……..so if you can’t buy bread and toilet rolls, just buy a gun instead. 😳 Makes no sense whatsoever. I think New York Governor Andrew Cuomo is the winner of the week for his decisive action and telling the truth about the seriousness of the Corona Virus. Wish we could swap Trump for Cuomo at the WH Pressers.

7. Carol Anne March 22, 2020 / 2:39 pm

God! The US has way too many guns! I am so glad ireland doesnt have that many people who own one. xo

8. JT Twissel March 22, 2020 / 4:25 pm

Sadly I think you’re right. I would say the seamstresses and quilters who are marking masks for the hospitals should have won the week. In my state they are talking about restrictions on gun sales but so far I haven’t seen anything definitive. Maybe next week the good in people will win the week.

• Marleen March 22, 2020 / 5:29 pm

They — people making/sewing masks — are a great designation for who should win.

• Fandango March 22, 2020 / 11:34 pm

Our healthcare providers…doctors, nurses, etc…are putting themselves in harms way and at great personal risk in order to help others. They deserve our gratitude for their good work and sacrifice.

9. XingfuMama March 22, 2020 / 8:03 pm

I guess that virus won’t stand a chance: well armed folks will just shoot it away!????

• Fandango March 22, 2020 / 11:37 pm

I guess that’s what they must think.